Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like an unintentional bulimic these days

Today I'm starting my 6th week post-op and I'm still throwing up constantly. Ever since I started mechanical soft foods it's been a touch and go situation. I sautéed some chicken tenders today for lunch and they were very tasty, at least, what I was able to get down before it felt stuck. I stood up walked around in circles trying to ease the pain but ultimately ending up in the bathroom purging. Sometimes a half hour will pass before I have the urge, but mostly it happens right away.

Remembering all those times I wished I had it in me. I won't see my doctor until Monday. Hopefully he has suggestions, but the last three weeks have been pretty annoying. It's impossible to stick to a regular eating schedule bc I'm barely eating a full meal most times. Sometimes I just don't want to eat, just to avoid the toilet. We're becoming uncomfortably close. Of course then I become ravenous and must get something in before I implode and the process starts all over again. Also, it really feels like my stomach is producing more acid than it needs. It's practically in my throat at times. I had my gall bladder removed years ago so, that really shouldn't be happening.

Sounds familiar...

I had to change my pace of eating - even with the smaller bites...

bite-chew- chew alot more- swallow- WAIT

that is what I think about when I eat now

<p>Sounds familiar...</p> <p>I had to change my pace of eating - even with the smaller bites...</p> <p> </p> <p>bite-chew- chew alot more- swallow- WAIT</p> <p> </p> <p>that is what I think about when I eat now</p>

Thank you. I mean typically I don't think I eat too fast but maybe I'm still eating too fast for my sleeve. Especially when I've allowed myself to become ravenous. I will take that under adwisement.

truberry -- what do you think are the differences between when you throw up and when you don't?

Different foods?

Different chewing behaviors?

Environmental factors?

Times of day you eat?

???

That is sooo funny! We all feel that way at times because sometimes our baby pouches will accept lots of food and other times it doesn't and MAN when it doesn't. I just went through an episode of not keeping down too much of anything. Had to do the finger trick - oft..e..n....

Good luck and stay focused. It's doing miracles right now!

<p>truberry -- what do you think are the differences between when you throw up and when you don't? </p> <p> </p> <p>Different foods? </p> <p> </p> <p>Different chewing behaviors? </p> <p> </p> <p>Environmental factors? </p> <p> </p> <p>Times of day you eat? </p> <p> </p> <p>???</p>

Well the very first time I remember it was with eggs. Which I thought was weird bc the first time I had eggs it went fine. I tried them again and it still didn't work out so I've given up on eggs. It might just be some things don't agree with me or it might be I'm eating too fast. Or it might be the reintroduction of foods. I'm not entirely certain, I just know I can't survive on mashed potatoes, nor do I want to. I like mashed potatoes, but they're quite boring after a while. I try to chew everything to mush at all times. Sometimes I just think it doesn't matter and my sleeve is temperamental. It absolutely does not like cold food that's meant to be hot for instance.

Did you have hernia repair? My surgeon told me he had two patients who he accidentally sewed up too tight during hernia repain but fixrd with endoscopy. Is this a possibility for you?

This happened to me for weeks .. meats mostly caused the problem so I lived on string cheese and yogurt for a while.. Boca burger patties were okay too.. Get an app for your phone called eat slower and set it for two min bite intervals it helped me a lot to realize I was eating to fast .. The second u hiccup or burp or feel your nose running .. Stop !!!! Those are my "I'm about to eat too much" warnings

It seems like an obvious question and maybe you have stated it elsewhere .... but have you spoke to your medical team about this?

Shel

Wow, I could have written this post. For me it was between 3 and 8 weeks or so. I literally went almost a week throwing up everything I ate except for Protein shakes. I ate extremely slowly (3-4 minutes between bites), chewed each bite 30 or 40 times... nothing worked.

I remember the first thing I ate that stayed down after that stretch; it was shredded up chicken, maybe a tablespoon of it, in broth. I almost cried out of happiness when it stayed down. From then on it got a little better each day. Now I'm almost four months out, and can eat pretty much whatever I want, except for my sleeve's weird reaction to fish, and mustard... I'm pretty much guaranteed to throw up, or at least slime with those. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that it will get better.

Butterfly that's ironic .. Shredded chicken made in broth in the crockpot was first thing I could eat too !! My Nut then recommended that I needed to eat all my foods super moist in order to not throw up .. About 12-14 weeks out it finally stopped and now only happens if I eat dry chicken breast or more then 1 egg in a sitting !

I guess sleeves are all different. I can eat fish without any problems, but chicken sticks in my sleeve and man, does it hurt!

@@Tamlyn

Yeah, I've tried several different types of fish (Salmon, tilapia, and canned tuna). All lead to at least a sliming episode. After trying salmon one more time the other night I decided all fish is off the menu for a little while.