Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week out whats "normal?"

My recovery has been fairly smooth and uneventful (considering the last time I lost weight the nation was watching) but just wondering: I have 1 oz every 20 min (while awake when I can) and no matter how slowly I ingest, I always seem to feel pain (very much like when you have a large gulp of extra fizzy seltzer and you have that gas pain in your belly til you burp) it subsides eventually but is this normal? Will it subside eventually? Just asking bc I'm supposed to transition to purée next week (very small amts) and imagine it will be even more painful. But I NEED to. There is only so much Vitamin Water whey Protein and miso broth a soon to be former fattie can stand!

It's normal -- it's gas and you need to walk it off. Gas X helps but the only thing that will ACTUALLY TRULY help is walking! Walk walk walk walk walk --- even in the middle of the night, if you feel discomfort, WALK! I ate pureed after 2 weeks because I actually felt hungry, I ate it very slowly and it sat very well with me. Try eating home-made oatmeal, it sat super well, as did the fat-free plain greek yogurt (lots of protein), also Protein shakes. Good Luck, this too shall pass and you'll be feeling great very soon. But remember..... walk, walk, walk, walk walk!

Today is my Post-Op Day Four, and (knock on wood) I'm doing great!

sleeping well. Drinking better every day. Eating well (just Soups and yogurt so far). Moving well.

I'm super-relieved and super happy about how this has gone.

Post-op Day Two (first day at home) was a little weird, but I chalked that up to the continuing effects of in-hospital anesthesia and pain meds, plus a dose of hydrocodone I took the night before for tummy discomfort. No more of that stuff for me!

Best to you. And happily (I'm guessing), this time the whole world is NOT watching.

1 oz every 20 minutes or so really seems quite low. Make sure you aren't drinking through a straw or gulping the entire ounce. When I first started drinking I had to just wet the inside of my mouth and swallow, not actually poor the liquid down. If you never slept and drank 1 oz of Water every 20 minutes for 24 hours you would only be getting 8oz more than the recommended 64oz of Fluid. Your body needs that Water to heal, badly. BURP BURP BURP - WALK WALK WALK - Also, if you have someone around, gentle massage in the front or back or even a light pounding between your shoulder blades ( think karate style) will help break that gas bubble up. It sounds like your new tummy is being smushed by your gas bubble and inflammation.

Right now everything is swollen. The small path(sleeve) that use to be your stomach isnt much wider than your pinky or a ball point pen due to the swelling. And also if you had a hiatal hernia repair it is also adding to the restriction. Added to this is the fact that when you fill the pouch at the bottom of the sleeve, the air in the stomach has to escape. So if you eat too fast the food going down will be working against the air coming up and cause the sharp pains you may be feeling.

As the swelling goes down over the next couple weeks/months the pain will subside and eventually go away.

Very small bites or sips. Basically just the tip of the spoon. Some people use a baby spoon to help them minimize their bites.

Eat slowly. Up to a couple minutes between bites. Allow the air the food is displacing to escape (burping between bites helps). Unfortunately this may be a bit embarrassing but its helps alot. And to be honest, you should probably try and get use to burping. 7 months out and I still have to let out a few quiet belches now and then when I eat certain foods like Soups of chili.

I should also add, when drinking, use a glass or cup when possible. It makes the sipping easier.

Edited by Bob2013

Thanks everyone for responding but just FYI. I HAVE been walking every day since the first night After surgery for 30 min to an hour. And that's on top of normal daily chores around the apt which include walkin also I'm not on puréed yet. I feel like I've gotten rid of most of the gas. Is this cramping pain in my stomach )but only after I swallow) more??? I guess bc the rest of me feels so good I'm rushing my internal healing. Just wondering if anyone else felt this pain after swallowing one week out?

My recovery has been fairly smooth and uneventful (considering the last time I lost weight the nation was watching) but just wondering: I have 1 oz every 20 min (while awake when I can) and no matter how slowly I ingest, I always seem to feel pain (very much like when you have a large gulp of extra fizzy seltzer and you have that gas pain in your belly til you burp) it subsides eventually but is this normal? Will it subside eventually? Just asking bc I'm supposed to transition to purée next week (very small amts) and imagine it will be even more painful. But I NEED to. There is only so much Vitamin Water whey Protein and miso broth a soon to be former fattie can stand!

Hey giirlie - yeah, I get that feeling too when I take in liquids. Gas-X is wonderful and works in seconds. I will be moving on to purees in another week too. I think you[re a couple of days ahead of me in regards to when your surgery was done.

Thank you so much. As soon as I complained...it subsided. Onto puréed. And my lord, the first bite was like going to a five star restaurant! May I recommend trader joes fat free black Beans w low fat cheese? A 2 oz serving took me 20 min to eat but was 7 gms Protein and DELICIOUS. it feels like regular food bc it's ALWAYS served "puréed in the restaurants! Yum!

What are using to purée your food? I start that stage Monday

If u get refried Beans they are already puréed and I've been told by my nut that soft cheese is already in the puréed stage so I had a soft cheese stick last night no prob. Just chew it well. But bought a kitchen aid 3.5 cup food chopper which also puréea from bed bath beyond for $40 very good item. Also has a liquid hole to pour skim milk in if the purée is too dry