Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for the Veterans who lost more than 100 lbs slowly

I am losing slowly, but losing and not gaining! I have had numerous stalls and some weeks my weight loss is nothing

I am almost 3 months in, don't get me wrong I am super pleased with what I have lost

My question is I still have 75-80 lbs to lose if you lost slowly how long did it take you? Does it continue to come off?

I am so worried that I won't loose 100% of my weight and will be one of the Sleeve pts who only make it to 50-60%

I hear that your appetite comes back, was this your experience?

I no longer want to eat chips or chocolate, will an urge for these things return?

You don't mention what you have lost, your start weight and your goal weight. I just had my 6 week followup and am down 20% of my excess body weight. Before surgery I knew that the average loss was about 60% of excess but didn't really think much of it. After surgery when I started losing I did the math and if I lost only 60% I would still technically be obese on the BMI scales. I asked my surgeon about this at the 6 week follow-up. He said that he doesn't much care for averages. He pointed out that an average means that many people lose a higher % than average. He also pointed out that your results are going to be based on what your body wants and how much you put into it. He said for example if you get to a point where you stop losing and want to lose more you need to look at your record keeping to see if there is room to reduce calories and eat better and look at exercise to see if you can increase it and be more efficient with it. Based on all of that my advice is not to compare yourself to others. It will only cause stress. This stuff is too individualized to worry about how you compare to others and knowing what others have done will not mean it will or won't happen for you. One tip though lifting weights and building muscle increases your metabolism and therefore your weight loss.

I am so worried

@@madwife2002

OMG - so many questions, so little time!! :lol:

I would NOT consider losing 59 lbs in 3 months being a slow loser :)

you are doing great :)

don't worry about what other people have lost, how long it took them :huh:

"we" all lose weight at our own rate

concentrate on yourself :unsure:

you are the most important :)

per your request.............it took me almost one year to reach my goal weight (losing 105 lbs)

some/many people do have their appetite return partially/more than that

you are 3 months PO - don't worry about how much you may or may not lose

instead, continue to work hard and be happy to as much you ARE losing

at the same time you are being a winner!!! :)

glad you no longer have those feelings about Cookies et al

at some point those thoughts "might" come back to haunt you :wacko:

but its up to you to put those memories out of your head/push them wayyyy on the back burner

above is much easier said than done, trust me i know :angry:

i know this might be hard sometimes - but we can do it (or come pretty close :huh: )

you can have a bite of this or that - just don't go crazy

the sleeve will always be with you, like a good friend

but you will continually have to work with both of them - to maintain your "friendship"

take care

keep up the good work

kathy

congrats

eleven months lost 126 pounds - weigh 234 - need to weigh 150

@@Paige Larson

you lost 126 lbs in 11 months ^_^

woo hoo

party dance, party dance :)

(took me one year to lose 105 lbs)

you have 84 lbs to lose for you to reach your goal weight

the weight should continue to come off with your continued good work, following all the rules :)

towards the end last few lbs (maybe 20 lbs or so) you might experience more stalls

eventually you should lose the weight

if you continue to stall, it might be your body telling you that you've lost enough weight

stop worrying (causes wrinkles) I know :lol:

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

You are not a slow loser! Don't compare yourself to others and then you would not have expectations that will only disappoint. If it took you 3 months to lose 59? Is that on your ticker? You didn't say what you lost in 3 months.

In any case I don't consider myself slow though maybe I did in the beginning. But it's not a race. The more time you will have to practice good eating habits that will last a life time.

It took me 4 months to lose 59. I thought that was great. What diet plan can do that? Then it took me 6 more months to lose 41 more to add up to 100. So 10 months to 100 lbs woohoo! Then I had to add in strength training and cardio not just walking to get me into onederland. In the last 8 months I have lost another 27. Luckily there is no deadline. The sleeve will keep on working as long as you work it! Does it slow down - of course. But it's nice to be able to eat a normal portion. Not old supersized portions like in my fat days. Normal thin people portions. So I am about 18 months out and am down over 127 pounds. Time flew by. And no matter what it's not like it's over when you get to goal life goes on as before. You may get to eat a little more but all the same eating strategies apply: Protein first, avoid sugar, limit the bad stuff, move your body. So what's the rush. Goal is just a number. It's nice to get to but doesn't change much at least for me. And I am ok with that.

I lost 18lbs pre op-I have lost 41 lbs since surgery so still good

It took me 13 months to reach my initial goal of 140 lbs. I am now almost 18 months out and 4 lbs under goal, slowly losing the last 6-7 lbs to get to my stretch goal. The sleeve is a tool and I use it when I want. Meaning, I could have lost these last pounds already but I decided to go up my calories and let it come off more slowly. Your sleeve won't break or go away so you can do this! :-)