Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my last visit today and should be getting my packet submitted to insurance soon. It was a nutrition class, and the nutritionist leading it said something about caffeine that I hadn't heard before. She said that they're starting to see sleevers farther out who are developing ulcers along the staple line, and the current theory is that it's caffeine related. Because of that, she said no caffeine for the 1st two months, and no more than 1 cup / day after that. I'm okay giving it up, it's not a big deal for me, but wanted to share what she said because I hadn't heard anything about the issue before today.

I started drinking Decaf a few days after surgery, then real coffee again (the leaded stuff, no decaf! :D) at about 5-6 weeks.

I'm 15 months out and I now drink about 6-8...sometimes 10 cups a day. Splenda, sometimes a little Hershey's dark chocolate powder and/or sugar-free vanilla Coffee-Mate. I know, I know...that's a lot of coffee and it's really bad for me and my heart will probably explode and it affects global warming and kills baby seals and...whatever! I enjoy it and thus far it hasn't had a negative impact, so I'm drinkin' it! :P

Some folks tolerate it fine and others have issues.

Good luck and Godspeed on your journey! :)

At two years post op I cannot drink coffee anymore. I have lost my taste for it. Now I like hot tea with milk and equal/Splenda. The coffee caused a problem with stomach acid for me. Also I found that the caffeine stimulated my appetite. This all might change and I will end up wanting coffee again. For months after surgery I drank Decaf. Now I just don't crave it. My tastes have changed two years post op. Never expected that.

Prior to surgery I gave up my extreme pop habit and walked away and have not looked back. I was drinking at LEAST 3- 44oz REGULAR Mtn Dews a day, sometimes more. I felt that i depended on the caffeine to just get through my day!

now at 8 wks post op it has been almost 4 months since i have had ANY caffeine and honestly i have so much energy all the time i don't miss it, or even think about it. sounds like just another reason to stay away.

I thought ulcers were caused by the bacteria Helicobacter Pylori., (H. Pylori). I wrote a paper in a college class that the person who proved it was caused by the bacteria had to infect himself with the H. Pylori to prove it. I can understand the concept that coffee is very acidic, but my understanding of uclers is that they are caused by the bacteria.

I've been drinking regular coffee, (about 4 to 6 cups a day), ever since I was 3 months out.

Kathleen

That's what I thought, too - it seemed like a stretch. Sounds like no one else has heard this either! Makes me feel better about choosing not to worry about it.

coffee is a stomach irritant. I drink coffee but I am 5 years post op but I did not drink regular coffee for almost a year after my lapband. Just follow your doctors orders.

My group explained all of the negatives in regard to caffeine so I gave it up and have not missed it a bit. I do have an occassional cup of coffee when I go to visit my 85 yr old dad, sharing a cup of coffee has always been our thing. If my dad was not there I would not even think about drinking coffee. Sodas are just not appealing any more so I stick to my flavored Water. Life is good.

Prior to surgery I gave up my extreme pop habit and walked away and have not looked back. I was drinking at LEAST 3- 44oz REGULAR Mtn Dews a day, sometimes more. I felt that i depended on the caffeine to just get through my day!

now at 8 wks post op it has been almost 4 months since i have had ANY caffeine and honestly i have so much energy all the time i don't miss it, or even think about it. sounds like just another reason to stay away.

Impressive!! Did you quit cold turkey? I am down to (2) Dt. Pepsi's a day. Surgery should be in a couple of weeks. Hoping to cut back to just 1 beginning Monday. I feel like after my RNY, I won't want another one anyway due to the carbonation.

I had to be caffeine free 2 weeks prior to surgery - I tried to go cold turkey about 4 weeks prior to surgery...that was not a great experiment. I had to ween myself off for about one week and go to just Decaf coffee before my 2 week pre-op diet began.

I continued with decaf after surgery and at my 6 week post-op visit asked the doc about coffee...she made me pinkie promise to not go back to my old ways of 5-6 cups of real coffee per day, she approved 1-2 cups of the real stuff.

I do have 2-4 cups of the real stuff per day, but had to find coffee that isn't acidic on my stomach...I have tried different blends and have found a couple that tastes great and feels good on my tummy.

I don't care for soda and have not touched it since a sip I took a few weeks after my surgery which was early April. Now I don't crave it and don't care for it. On the other hand, for the last few months I have been having one cup of coffee a day with Splenda and a dash of cream. My surgeon said it was ok after 3-4 months post op. I don't think more than a cup. So am ok with that. I do feel at times that I am bouncing all over due to the caffeine lol

no more than 1 cup / day

@@roundisashape

my NUT said at 6 weeks i could have coffee :)

its funny, i was never a big coffee drinker

the first time i tried it, i realized the "hot" made me have that full feeling :)

btw - never, ever, ever do i have the urge to have a donut :)

now when i'm out and about - i'll stop at Dunkin Donuts and have a cup in my refillable mug :)

so that might be 1 cup per every 2-3 days

i think it really tastes good :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy