Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Soft Solids Effect

I just moved into the soft solids stage from mushies. What a leap! At this point I can comfortably consume at least 5 oz liquid & mushies in 20 minutes, but soft solids like dense salmon and soft-cooked veggies feel like boulders in my sleeve; just a few tablespoons and I feel uncomfortably full for an hour (thankfully still haven't vomited even once!). Although they recommend starting with Protein and veggies, I do find it helps to put a bite of something soft in my stomach first, like potato. Do you think perhaps I should just have one soft solid meal per day until my stomach adjusts better, or is it better to keep trying throughout the day and just supplement with shakes if I can't meet my diet's nutritional requirements? What were your experiences transitioning from mushies to soft solids?

I think 5 ounces of liquid may be too much at once. Try soft foods like the fish and at that stage I was getting 2 ounces and feeling very full. That was perfectly normal. At 8 weeks out I can do 4 ounces.

My surgeon told me he never wants me to eat more than 6 ounces at one meal ever in my life again.

I am ok with that

honestly I would not waste stomach space on things like potatoes at this point. Maybe try a tiny bite of something high Protein and soft, like refried Beans, tofu, Greek yogurt, or cottage cheese.< /p>

veggies, even cooked veggies, can be tough to digest. try things that are easier... cottage cheese, yogurt, soft cooked eggs. even just drink milk. fyi, at 13 months post op i cant eat 5 ounces protein! 2-3 at most.

Edited by moonlitestarbrite

There is nothing wrong with slowing down your progression to solids. But you should definitely steer away from some of the starch/carbs that were allowed in the early stages (mashed potatoes) .

I still just eat soft stuff..an I always eat Protein first..then soft vegs. ..to this day I eat all protein first then the most veg I've ate so far is 2 or 3 literal green Beans. No salad...potatoes on my plan are a no no bc of sugar carbs...it will slow down weight loss. I have tolerate a few bites of broiled salmon an flounder. .over all I still get in only 5 or 6 bites at one meal an I'm full comfortablely. A lot of this is head games...brain chemicals are powerful. :)

Thanks for your replies! It makes this feel more normal.

On mushy I was easily able to get all my Protein from meat (tuna, shaved turkey, lean ground beef, etc.), eggs, and dairy every day. The most challenging part for me so far has been getting green veggies in. Liquid and mushy green veggies are, frankly, gross, no matter how I try to season or disguise them. That's why I'm so eager to feel better with soft solids.