Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Telling the extended family?

I had my sleeve done in May of 2014, and I know I'm doing really well by the measure of the scale (down 70+ lbs already) but I still see myself as "a fat kid" and pretty much expect my family to as well. When I say family, I mean the 100+ aunts, uncles, cousins, 2nd cousins, etc that I get to spend Labor day with. We only get together once every few years, and they've always known me to be a "bigger" person, so I doubt anyone will notice the weight loss. Here's my question- is it weird I really don't want all of them to know about my surgery? I haven't had a problem telling my immediate family, friends, and even my co workers, but I just feel really weird about telling the rest of the family. I even got mad when my Mom told my uncle without asking me first. Did anyone else have this after their surgery?

First, if you've dropped 70 pounds, I'm sure someone (if not many of them) WILL notice the weight loss.

Second, I think that's way too many people to tell your most personal business. Some might get it; others might have comments/criticisms you really don't need or want to hear. They can Celebrate your weight loss without having your wls be the reunion's hot topic. You can be the 'hot' topic ["damn, she looks good!"], but not your surgery. It's not their business.

You said, "I really don't want them to know..." Well, that's it. End of discussion [within yourself].

Do what you want, but, if it were me, I wouldn't even think to tell them. If they ask, "what are you doing to lose all that weight!!?", I'd just say "I'm eating lots of Protein and I cut out all those carbs," etc. [One caveat; IF everyone in your family is clinically obese and also could benefit from wls, saying you had it to encourage them to get it might be different...only IF you want to tell them.]

We live in a 'tell everyone everything; share everything' world [on FB, etc.]. I am not into that. I'm a very private-minded person and have learned to protect my serenity and spirit (as well as that of others).

Have fun. Enjoy the gathering. But do only what you feel comfortable doing or saying.

Thanks! I'm just afraid it'll come off that I'm embarrassed I got the surgery, or whatever. But honestly, I just did what I had/wanted to. Thanks for helping me not feel crazy!!!

Don't worry about it! U owe no one anything! I told my parents they fixed my tummy an hernia bc I couldn't metabolize. .period..end of story. Now I can loose weight! If I was u I would just leave it alone. ..if it gets out it gets out. I'm just saying it was best for my situation! :)