Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site. I am in the process of preparation and actually almost ready to see the surgeon (still have one more appointment with nutritionist/social worker in two weeks). I read many success stories, and they are encouraging. I have a few fears about surgery itself, especially the fact that this is elective. This year has been about preparation for this, but I am really wanting to know how many of you would do it again (regardless of how long ago) and how many had serious complications. I have read a few of these am really looking for honesty regardless of how brutal that might be. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Maribeth. Welcome to the site. You'll find a lot of great information here and tons of support. My first comment is that this isn't elective for 95% of the people here, it's a health issue and is typically something that is covered by insurance. Elective surgeries are not covered by insurance and not many people can afford the expense of this procedure on their own. Because I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes my insurance covered my surgery. I had a slight complication whereby my intestines and bowels didn't take to kindly to the anesthesia and they choose to sleep longer then they should have. It only caused an additional 1 1/2 days in the hospital, but it was scary at first. Would I do it again......IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The night before surgery I took my last med for the diabetes and cholesterol. At 4 months I took my last blood pressure pill. I've gone from Morbidly obese to obese to overweight in under 5 months. I've dropped from 217 lbs to 149 lbs since my surgery in mid-March. I have more energy then I've had in years and I'm living life again.

Thanks, sugar free. I hope I didn't offend. That is the way it was described to me by the nutritionist. It is a tool I wish to use for my co-morbidities as well. Thanks for your honesty. Sounds like you are doing great!

Thanks, sugar free. I hope I didn't offend. That is the way it was described to me by the nutritionist. It is a tool I wish to use for my co-morbidities as well. Thanks for your honesty. Sounds like you are doing great!

No offense at all. Some people think that WLS is a choice (elective like a face lift) when in fact it's a life decision as in "if I want to live, I better do this". Best wishes for a successful surgery. I wouldn't change anything I did, so offending me about any of this is impossible. :)

Not to take away from the original post, but my program considers bariatric surgery elective as do those from everyone I've spoken to about it at both of the support groups I attend. Regardless of the classification, my insurance covered part of the cost, though I had to pay a great deal out of pocket.

All of that said, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, regardless of cost. After getting to the point I am so far (still 19 pounds from my goal) I've been given a new lease on life and even if I were forced to pay hundreds of thousands (instead of just tens) I'd do it again without question.

It took me a little longer than SugarFreeMe to get from Obese to Overweight, but then again I started my journey at almost double her weight. I'll never get into the "healthy" category according to the BMI calculators, but without a doubt I definitely feel and act healthy. I'm now able to do many physical things I would never have been able to dream of the last 15 years.

Hi Maribeth,

I chose not to jump through the insurance hoops and go the self paid route.

I did not have any co-morbidites at the time of surgery although I was morbidly obese. However, I had great pain in my legs, especially in my knees and my ankles started to act up also. I have a fast paced job (I am a nurse) and it came to a point when I had to realize: I will not be able to work as a nurse any longer unless I lose some weight. I was not going to do another diet, been there done that way too many times. So what am I going to do? Try to find an office job? how? All I know is my profession...

I am stalling, I am losing ton of hair, I struggle some days, but trust me, I would do this in a New York minute all over again.

My tummy has been reduced so drastically that I am sure even after years, even if my tummy will be streched some, I will never be able to eat the same way I used to before surgery. This gives me great comfort. At this point the only thing I can safely eat and I know it will not bother my stomach is veggies!! How great is that? This is a gift. This is a gift every obese women and men dreams about.

Thanks to everybody! Green eyed-you give me some inspiration. I have to admit that I am pretty scared. Like what if I die? I will have chosen to do this to myself? UGG. I am close to seeing the surgeon so this is all becoming very real to me. This whole year has been preparation, but now it is game on! I am currently doing a 1000 calorie diet in order to show that I can follow a diet. I am on day 4 and am worried about my success on the week end. It seems like it is easier working. LOL!

It is normal to be scared, and this is a risk to take, but so as being morbidly obese, and I watched my life style detoriating so fast, it scared me, more than the thought of the surgery.

It seems you have it all together, and you have the right mindset. Everything else will work out, you will see.

Good for you for doing the diet. I did several food funerals and gained about 20 pounds right before surgery hahahaha - the beauty of being self pay :D

Do not be scared. It is becoming real, and real is good. No more dreaming about a healthy body, its all real now, ahhh I remember when I woke up after my surgery and all I felt is relief that my old life is over :)

Keep us updated please!

It is normal to be scared, and this is a risk to take, but so as being morbidly obese, and I watched my life style detoriating so fast, it scared me, more than the thought of the surgery. It seems you have it all together, and you have the right mindset. Everything else will work out, you will see. Good for you for doing the diet. I did several food funerals and gained about 20 pounds right before surgery hahahaha - the beauty of being self pay :D Do not be scared. It is becoming real, and real is good. No more dreaming about a healthy body, its all real now, ahhh I remember when I woke up after my surgery and all I felt is relief that my old life is over :) Keep us updated please!

Thank you! I have began telling people that I choose to tell with mixed responses. Some of which ask if I am really fat enough? Wow. I guess I wear 270 lbs really well? Not! I feel every bit of it every hour every day. I am prepared for the stupid comments and decided that if I am Brave enough to do this, then I better be prepared for stupid. Ha ha. Besides, this isn't like something I should be ashamed of. Maybe I think telling makes it just that much more real? IDK. It is good to hear from you who have been doing this for awhile as it spurs me on towards the goal.

I am in the same boat! I started this journey in November 2013. We are put into groups of 3 and followed for 6 months as we work with a psychologist, exercise therapist and a nutritionist. It has been an amazing experience so far. The reason we do the 6 months is to show that we are committed to losing...I think! I have lost 32 pounds on my own with diet and exercise and was approved for surgery in May. We were told that the wait list for surgery was 2-6 months. I was called in early August to go in Sept. 8th but because of work commitments I am now waiting to be called in October. I am loving this app/site although I am still trying to figure out how to post and navigate. Thank you to everyone for sharing your experience...it makes this easier!

I am in the same boat! I started this journey in November 2013. We are put into groups of 3 and followed for 6 months as we work with a psychologist, exercise therapist and a nutritionist. It has been an amazing experience so far. The reason we do the 6 months is to show that we are committed to losing...I think! I have lost 32 pounds on my own with diet and exercise and was approved for surgery in May. We were told that the wait list for surgery was 2-6 months. I was called in early August to go in Sept. 8th but because of work commitments I am now waiting to be called in October. I am loving this app/site although I am still trying to figure out how to post and navigate. Thank you to everyone for sharing your experience...it makes this easier!

The waiting is sooo hard, but then it seems too close for comfort. Congrats on the big loss! I have not been that committed, but then, this is a journey! It is go time now, so am braving the low cal diet. Drinking Water in the hopes that I can control the hunger. Keep us informed! Please....