Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal Hernia - what does that mean for my WLS?

Hi - I had my pre-op endoscopy today and the doctor said I had a "significantly large hiatal hernia". What does that mean for my upcoming surgery? My surgeon had said I could do either the sleeve or the bypass (though I want to have bypass). Does this prevent me from having one or the other? Or both? (God, I hope not!!) I thought I had read some people had it fixed at the same time, but I don't remember which surgery they had or any of the details.

Anyone here have one and what impact did it have?

I had a very large hiatal hernia and I had it repaired along with bypass. I am not doing well at 5 weeks post op but I am not the rule.

I think they find it quite a bit and it will not prevent you from having the surgery, they will just do both at the same time.

I also had the hernia, it didn't stop the surgery at all. I didn't have the endoscopy, but I think some surgeons require them to that they know exactly what their facing when they start. My surgeon found mine when he went in, all he did was repair it. It didn't cause any additional time in the hospital, insurance covered it and all is good. Don't sweat it, I actually think it's something very common to overweight people.

From reading comments over the last 18 months, it seems fairly common for people to have hernias. They can do a hernia repair during your bypass surgery. My doc found and repaired a hernia when I had my gallbladder removal in December. You should be fine. :-)

I had a large hiatal hernia and my Dr repaired it at the time of my bypass surgery. This surgery helped me get off 8 medications and I am forever thankful for the opportunity. No more diabetes, reflux, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and less arthritis. Also off Migraine medicine. Bypass is a wonderful surgery.

I had a large hiatal hernia so my surgeon would only do bypass. He believes I would suffer from gerd the rest of my life. When the surgeon did the surgery, he had to pull half my stomach through the whole, and use mesh to repair it. It took longer but all is well. Good luck! It is very common!

Just to clarify my post above, I would have gerd the rest of my life with the sleeve, so we opted for the bypass.

I also had a very large hiatal hernia that was discovered during my bypass.. my surgeon repaired it while he was in there. I was pretty sore after surgery but other than that all went well.

Edited by ryn2bthin

Happy to hear! I'm on day 6, and feeling great! I went on a short shopping trip with my sister and am resting now! How are you feeling!