Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help from veterans on the old head hunger/sweets

I am 7 months out and have lost 62lbs. I have about 13 more to go. The last month I have had some upsets in my personal life that I have let affect my eating and I don't like it but I feel like I have no control. I talked to my counselor yesterday and they gave me advice but I just don't think I can do it. on the way to the doctor's I stopped and got a big piece of cake with lots of icing and ate the whole thing. I was frustrated with myself and I know it has just made things worse. I hope I have not stretched my sleeve but I don't know. any advice would be great and the thing is I know what has to be done but I am struggling. Overall with my life right now I feel like going and hiding.

Have you tried Water, exercise or reading a book or what else do you like that you can use to get your mind off the food as a source of comfort?

the only way to overcome compulsive eating and food addiction is with ACTION on your part. i just posted this for someone else.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/page/articles.html/_/support/escaping-the-trap-of-emotional-eating-r179

try to remember that every single choice you make right now, creates your future. you are choosing it with each decision you make.

(you arent supposed to be posting here btw, you need to be a vet to post here)

Edited by moonlitestarbrite

I have been doing the same thing these last couple of months. Stress was the cause for me. I would just eat all the time. Not large amounts but all day long. I would eat fast food, ice cream whatever sweets I wanted and here I am. I stopped losing weight and my clothes are getting tighter. So I joined here. I am ready to get back in the game. I started tracking my intake and exercise with my fitness pal. You can barcode scan everything! Once you write down what and how much youre eating then You May see it in a different light. You can have those bad foods just in moderation. I know exactly how you feel but only you can pull yourself out of it. You need to find some positive people in your life or go join a new group of people that enjoy the same things as you. Make small goals like today instead of having toast (which is my fav things) with Peanut Butter I'm going to have an Apple with pb. If you set yourself up with small goals then you'll build yourself back up to bigger ones.

Edited by misstar05

...(you arent supposed to be posting here btw, you need to be a vet to post here)

this was not posted under the veterans forum, It was posted under General gastric sleeve support ;). So she is welcome to post anything she likes here. :)

this was not posted under the veterans forum, It was posted under General gastric sleeve support ;). So she is welcome to post anything she likes here. :)

i believe it was moved by a mod.

So what DOES constitute a veteran out of curiosity? Is it measured by post op time? Time at goal? Just curious!

So what DOES constitute a veteran out of curiosity? Is it measured by post op time? Time at goal? Just curious!

the forum states its for people a year or more post op.

Thanks! Good to know! I use the app and it's easy to miss stuff like that in this format =)

Maybe there is a bug in the app. This thread is under the general sleeve forum on my phone.

i believe this thread was moved by a moderator.

I am 7 months out and have lost 62lbs. I have about 13 more to go. The last month I have had some upsets in my personal life that I have let affect my eating and I don't like it but I feel like I have no control. I talked to my counselor yesterday and they gave me advice but I just don't think I can do it. on the way to the doctor's I stopped and got a big piece of cake with lots of icing and ate the whole thing. I was frustrated with myself and I know it has just made things worse. I hope I have not stretched my sleeve but I don't know. any advice would be great and the thing is I know what has to be done but I am struggling. Overall with my life right now I feel like going and hiding.

Sorry you're struggling right now, but congrats on your great success so far! This is just a temporary setback. Not a catastrophe. You DO have control--you never lost it--it is TOTALLY in your hands!!!

What you are dealing with though is what most of us have the toughest time with--those processed carbs that we always run to when times get tough. It takes lots and lots of work to conquer that demon and it doesn't happen over night but you CAN do it. You've taken a huge first step by recognizing that you do this when you are super stressed. Going back to our old default eating habits that got us into trouble in the first place is what we know and what we are comfortable with and what makes us feel good. But we have to get real with ourselves--that way of thinking is NOT what we want for our future.

For me, a good place to start in gaining control over my emotional eating was to do some educating myself on mindful eating. Slowing down my eating, using self-talk (affirmations to myself over and over like "I choose not to eat these unhealthy carbs," "I choose to nourish my body with REAL food," etc etc), deep-breathing. . .Reminding myself WHY I made the decision to have the surgery, and most of all, reminding myself that I am a WLS patient for the rest of my life and that I need to treat my body much more SPECIAL than most people, not just for a little while, but FOREVER.

You are strong or you would never have been able to have this surgery in the first place. You'll get past this. You, me, none of us are EVER going to be perfect at this, so don't waste your energy trying. Be good to yourself.