Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about mushy stage

I know in the mushy stage, we can blend anything and I know we can eat tuna salad or egg salad. I was wondering how people can eat a salad without a bread or even a lettuce cup? I do need to know how people cope up in this stage.

Tell me any outrageous food you have blended, and does it taste good?

My favorite thing when I was on mushy foods to blend was a Wendy's chilli or even my own turkey chili. I was so sick of sweet things by that time that a nice change up was great!

i eat tuna salad and chicken salad now all the time without bread or lettuce or anything. I just make a small cup of it and eat it with a fork. I don't eat bread at all anymore, once in a while I might take a bite or two of some toast but that's it.

• wendys chili sounds good. Have you tried mashed potato from Popeyes too? Can I have that or it's too fattening?

I just don't want to gain weight on mushy stage. Help!

I'm going to the grocery today to stock up. Need suggestions on what to buy...

I did the tuna salad, egg salad and chicken salad. I also ate baked potatoes, but have not since that stage because of the carbs. I would eat pudding, cottage cheese and I would mix fruits into my Protein shakes. I hope this helps.

I've been struggling with this stage too and am actually back up to 232 because everything is so damned fattening. Also, being in Bander's Hell isn't helping.

OH! With the eggs ... I've learned that you have to be VERY careful and chew a lot. Even if you think it's been chewed enough, chew more. I thought the eggs I was eating were not just mushy enough, but also chewed enough, and they got stuck. I can now say that I've experienced Sliming. I felt like my cat after she's had a really nasty medication shoved in her mouth.

For veggies ... baby food. I get the stuff in the squeezable pouch. It' not bad. It's not GREAT, but it's not horrible either.

Baked potato sounds good. I guess my stop tonight is wendys for chili and baked potato......

I'm kinda tired of pudding but cottage cheese is a welcome idea....with pineapple.....

Be careful with the pineapple. It's hard to digest. Peaches on the other hand ....

eggs got stuck? I thought egg is a soft food. I think this stage is really a threat to someone who still want to lose weight. My doctor told me I even can blend steak if I want to .....haha

Oh you're right CherieRyde. I read somewhere pineapple is a no-no in this stage. Thanks.

Yeah .. the eggs got stuck. They were hard boiled for egg salad, and I apparently didn't get the whites chopped up enough. NOT. FUN.

eggs are more for the soft food stage, but you could try something like egg drop Soup if you like that.

I did not eat any mashed potatoes or anything like that, because of the carb content and there isn't much nutrition to it.

You can do things like meatballs and sauce, mash them up and enjoy. You can get chunky Soups and smooth them out. Flaky fish is another great choice, things like flounder or tilapia that can be mushed up with some lemon sauce or tartar sauce (go easy with this one if it's not light)

During these stages your goals are not to lose weight but to heal, that said however you don't want to start eating ice cream and mashed potatoes and gain weight.

In the mornings, Greek yogurt with fruit is great. Chobani was my favorite at the time, it was high in Protein, no sugar, and low calorie. I think Dannon now makes one that is even lower in calorie but still high in Protein.< /p>

You want to try and eat things that have a high protein content right now, and always choose that protein first over the fruits and vegetables. Your body is healing after surgery, and you are going to need the extra protein to help that healing process and prevent muscle loss, and worst of all hair loss.

When you do move to eggs, I found the easiest ones to eat were scrambled or egg whites. Always eat slowly and chew chew chew. The mushy stage will move quickly to soft foods it's really giving you the chance to heal a bit more and work on those eating mechanics so as you go forward you won't experience PB's sliming or worse a stuck episode.

• Thanks LisaCaron. You just gave me a great idea...meatballs and sauce....that is something that will taste heavenly!

Thanks LisaCaron. You just gave me a great idea...meatballs and sauce....that is something that will taste heavenly!

Try Refried Beans also :)

I found some FANTASTIC recipes on Pinterest to prepare for my soft food stage.

it is really hard to lose wt. when on soft or mushy. most whole foods are good, its what you use to make it mushy. like mayo, gravies, butter etc. this is also the best time to eat like if your band has been adjusted. yes you will be hungry so it also is a good time to figure what you can eat that isn't calorie laden for Snacks.