Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Info Session tonight...finally getting started!

Hi, My name is Sharon and after several years of my physician telling me I need Bariatric surgery I have finally caved in. i do have to say I have a true fear of surgery itself due to me having a really bad infection after having a c-section in 1989. My first step is to visit the information session tonight and get all the information I can and have most of my questions answered. I am what me and my husband call a "fit fat", I am basically overall healthy but have been a steady 300-335 pounds for a long time now. We go to the gym daily during the week, I am able to do the ellipticcal for almost an hour at a decent pace and can outdo some men on weights there so I do have muscle structure. I have sleep apnea but I am not able to wear the full mask due to panic attacks. I have a family history of heart disease and diabetes and would love to get my weight under control before these terrible diseases creep up on me.
I'm excited and nervous, hoping insurance covers me and I don't have to jump through hoops like some people I have read had to do. I am also embarrassed and ashamed that I have let myself get to
this point, but I am trying not to beat myself up

Congrats on getting started ! Its a big step, but a necessary one if your Dr and you are on the same page. The fact that you 're fit can go along way in your recovery. My only regret is that I did'nt have WLS sooner ! Good luck and ask lots of ? !!

Best of luck to you on your journey! Like pink my only regret is I didn't do this sooner. My first goal was already met within first week of surgery, no more diabetes or blood pressure meds. Keep us posted! :)

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can....begin it. For boldness has genius , power, and magic in it!" Wolfgang Von Goethe

Congrats on your decision. Be prepared for a lengthy process prior to surgery. Mine took about 5 months, but who cares, if insurance pays, I was wiling to jump thru hoops. During that time I got mentally ready for the surgery and the upcoming changes. You won't regret it. Why the lap band versus the sleeve?

Don't feel embarrassed or ashamed! I know society wants us to think that obesity is a matter of will power and character, but it is a disease. You wouldn't tell a cancer patient or someone with lupus that they should be ashamed of themselves, right? Be proud of yourself for taking the steps to deal with your disease in the way that is scientifically proven to be most effective. Good luck going forward!

How exciting!! I'm scheduled for surgery on Sept 2nd and honestly, the process of getting approved wasn't too bad at all. I made my first appt to with my primary doctor mid May and he was the slowest to get things rolling. Once he sent my medical records over to the surgeon, things moved right along.

Good luck! I hope things go smoothly for you!

Carol

Your doctor sounds a lot like my pcp. My problem is that I wanted to have surgery but it wasn't covered under insurance. I couldn't afford to self pay. Thanks to having a hernia I was able to finally get my band. I'm glad I have a 10 CC rather than the 4 CC that so many people have had problems with. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the responses. Now I have to wait for the one on one consult after they run my insurance. I did find that my cost will be $745.00...

$150 for the assessment fee

$95 for the Nutrition Consult

$350 for the Psychology consult

$150 for the Success Habits Workshop

So I will probably be waiting until the first of the year to start my journey unless I can raise the money sooner. It was very informing though and I found if you have a BMI of 40 or above you are basically accepted. So that was a relief.

Edited by Gotchaby1

Welcome Sharon! I just started the process about a month ago and will likely have my surgery sometime in Oct. My primary also suggested it to me, and though I told him I would never consider weight loss surgery, 2 days later I was calling and setting up that first appointment! Since then, it's been a real relief knowing that I can finally do something LASTING to lose weight and get healthy. I had basically given up because I was so afraid of dieting again only to lose a bunch then gain it all back and more. Just knowing that I will have a way to get back to who I really want to be has given me the most hope I've had in years. I've already committed to start a healthier lifestyle now and am thrilled to have lost 17 lbs this past month. It's the push I needed to get some momentum going.

In the meantime, I've been reading, reading, reading and Googling the heck out of the internet to learn everything I can to prepare myself. I am very encouraged and so ready to begin. It's a good thing though that the process takes a while since there is so much to prepare for physically and emotionally.

Best of luck to you with everything.