Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not taking protein shakes

Hello everyone

I found this forum newly and I see everyone saying they are taking Protein Shakes while my surgeun didnt describe it for me , I am not taking any food with Protein , I am 2 weeks post op and only drinking orange juice and other fruit juices , toast and yougart. My surgeun says I should stay like that untill I hit 1 month while everybody here starts with puree in the second week.

I am confused.

Also I lost 7 kilos and the scale stopped dropping for 5 days now but there is physical improvement

Edited by aliess

Following your doctor's plan is the ideal thing to do. With that being said, Protein is an essential element, period. No matter what phase of their plan people are on, one consistent thing I see is consumption of daily Protein (60-80 grams per day), whether that is with food or supplements.

juice has a lot of carbs and may be the source of your slowed weight loss. Also, a lack of protein in these early days of recovery after surgery may result in hair loss several months down the road, and more saggy skin from muscle loss. Please contact your doctor. This just may be an oversight on their part. Best wishes!

My doctor gives really vague instructions I am not comfortable asking him questions for help , what do you recommend ? Should I improvise?

I would drink the Protein shakes, quite honestly. I am not a doctor, I am just 1 gastric sleeve patient in a sea of thousands. That being said, what I have learned from my doctor and nutritionist is that Protein will help you heal and will keep you from getting hungry. And, 1 month on nothing but juice and toast very odd. You may be tempted to eat if you aren't feeling somewhat satisfied. bread is a big no no according to everything I've been told over months of prep work for the surgery. A lot of doctors want their patients on a 1 or 2 week clear liquid diet right after surgery...mine didn't. My doctor ....who is considered one of the top WLS surgeons in the country.... said that Protein Shakes right after surgery does not hurt the new incisions in the stomach at all and they actually help to heal it faster.

aliess,

I agree with what BitterSweet* and Bobby46 said. Protein is ESSENTIAL for your body to be able to heal from having a good part of your stomach removed. I was on Clear liquids such as broth for a week after surgery. I ended up buying and drinking some Isopure clear Liquid Protein because I felt weak and my body felt like it needed Protein.

Then a week of protein shakes, then a week of "mushies" like cottage cheese, re-fried Beans and moist cooked eggs. When I was eating the cottage cheese, re-fried Beans and moist cooked eggs--I as very vigilant about measuring them so I didn't have too much there to eat.

Good luck and welcome to the "loser's" club!

Kathleen

Where I live it's hard to find ready made Protein Shakes , there is though Protein powders like (gnc whey protein powder) , they use these in body building , is this the protein I should get ?

Edited by aliess

Look for a 'Whey Protein Isolate'. This is best for quick absorption. Also, you can check online Bariatric Advantage, Unjury, Bariatric Choice, they all have protein powders. Not sure where you live but any nutrition store should have Whey Protein Isolate.

I agree with everyone. Your doctor has a very strange diet. Protein is key. Look online also for various types. I am using the Bariatric Advantage but I will look for something more tasteless as I am tired of the sweetness. Good luck

I know every surgeon is different but I have never seen diet instructions like yours. Protein is SO important because it helps with healing. I'm 3 months out & still have a Protein shake every morning. If you check on the books "The Big Book on the Gastric Sleeve" you will see the different stages of the diet for the Sleeve. I used it along with my surgeon's instructions & I did really well. You can download parts of this book here in this website. I recommend it & think you will get a lot of information your surgeon didn't give you.

What country are you in? Do you have access to a support group? I highly recommend them. I'm in Dallas, TX & we have several support groups around Dallas.

Good luck on your journey.

I know every surgeon is different but I have never seen diet instructions like yours. Protein is SO important because it helps with healing. I'm 3 months out & still have a Protein shake every morning. If you check on the books "The Big Book on the Gastric Sleeve" you will see the different stages of the diet for the Sleeve. I used it along with my surgeon's instructions & I did really well. You can download parts of this book here in this website. I recommend it & think you will get a lot of information your surgeon didn't give you.

What country are you in? Do you have access to a support group? I highly recommend them. I'm in Dallas, TX & we have several support groups around Dallas.

Good luck on your journey.

I'm in lebanon , I don't think we have any support groups here.

Thank you guys for your suggestions they are all noted.

Where I live it's hard to find ready made Protein shakes , there is though Protein powders like (GNC whey protein powder) , they use these in body building , is this the protein I should get ?

Check out GNC Lean shake 25. My surgeon suggests high protein, low carb shakes. Some of the body building shakes have too manu carbs. There are lots of suggestions on these boards for protein sources.

Best of luck.

Edited by My Inner Surfer Girl

My Dr. does not recommend Protein drinks either. He says it is better to get used to getting your Protein from acutal food. He advises 70% protein 30% vegetable/fruits.

My doctor gives really vague instructions I am not comfortable asking him questions for help , what do you recommend ? Should I improvise?

I think that you should definitely NOT be afraid to question your doctor concerning YOUR OWN health. Although you may or may not (it seems) trust his judgement on this one, I suggest that you get a second opinion from another doctor. I've never heard of nothing but the benefits of Protein not only for WLS but in normal everyday life. Protein builds muscles. Take it from other WLS patients here in these forums and also do your own research. Your successful weight loss ultimately depend on you. Good luck.

whey isolate Proteins are the best absorbed, but any of the body building powders will be OK if that's all you have access to. Certainly better than orange juice.

I agree with Waitingtoexhale that you definitley should get a second opinion. For all of the people I have encounted on this forum, I have never seen one with a post-op plan like yours. My surgeon developed the bariatric clinic for both The Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland Ohio, and the Loyola University Medical Center where he teaches both bariatric and robotic surgery. Both of these facilities are top ranked teaching schools here, with outstanding national reputations.

His post-op diet is one of the most agressive I have seen. I went home from the hospital permitted to start full liquids. At week two, I went on to purees, week three soft foods, week four he allowed me to start expeimenting with tolerance for moist whole foods well chewed. I had no problem with this progression. I was also advised to start substituting the Protein shakes for real food as soon as possible to avoid other problems that would present difficulties with healing. My paln is not your plan, and my bariatric team is not your bariatric team. You deserve the best in follow-up care. I wish you good luck and good health.