Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HOW is eating different post sleeve - don't you miss it?

Im not being facetious when I say this - I'm serious. Im considering getting the sleeve, and Im having a hard time imagining how eating will be afterwards.

For instance, is it that you just don't think about food? you don't even feel hungry most of the day?

How do you deal with big family meals (like christmas or thanksgiving)? What about restaurant eating?

Are your favourite foods still favourites or is that all different?

Help me understand what to expect!

Rachel

Well everyone is different so there is no way for you to know how the surgery will affect you. For me

1. I do not feel hungry or think about food. I have to remember to eat this might change as time goes on. I'm about 2 and a half months out.

2. I am able to eat anything I want so I have to make really good choices

3. Yes and no, my favorite foods are still my favorite but some I just no longer crave or can imagine eating at least for right now. Mentally I still love turkey burgers but I can't imagine biting one and there are a few others. Weird but doesn't cause me any stress.

4. When eating out I just look for the best possible choice or share with my husband. At family functions I do the same nothing has really changed except now I am more aware of what I'm putting in my mouth and can only eat a very small amount.

I wasn't hungry for the first 3-4 months. It was a chore to eat and drink. But after that I felt great, got my appetite back and could eat whatever I wanted. Including my favorite foods. But since I've been eating healthy ever since surgery, I've discovered a lot of new favorite foods I never knew about because I ate so much crap before.

I eat when I'm hungry which is at least 5 times a day. I still go out with friends and choose the yummiest food on the menu that is "good for me". Sometimes I only order an appetizer, share it with everyone and then nibble off of their plates. So I actually end up eating a bigger variety of food than I díd before. Family and holiday events are the same....just a little bit of everything - stop before I get full. It's been nice not to be uncomfortably full and sluggish after those big foodfests.

I thought I would miss stuffing my face, and sometimes I do when something is REALLY tasty, but the advantage of feeling this good far outweighs the occasional negative.

Truthfully, 8 weeks out and I am still wondering if it is going to get better. I never dreamed that I would feel this crappy (nauseated, difficult to drink even Water, love/hate food & so far special occasions have not been that special) I have heard it will get easier but still waiting. Maybe I am just impatient, but barely getting down 3-4 bites of food and then the nausea starts. Eating at restaurants is not the same and not as enjoyable or satisfying. Sorry to be so negative, just my experience so far.

Truthfully, 8 weeks out and I am still wondering if it is going to get better. I never dreamed that I would feel this crappy (nauseated, difficult to drink even Water, love/hate food & so far special occasions have not been that special) I have heard it will get easier but still waiting. Maybe I am just impatient, but barely getting down 3-4 bites of food and then the nausea starts. Eating at restaurants is not the same and not as enjoyable or satisfying. Sorry to be so negative, just my experience so far.

Dont apologize you aren't being negative you are giving your experience and people should hear all sides. Thanks for sharing and hopefully things will get better soon.

I am also 8 wks out but having a good experience and eating all foods at this point. Honestly i too thought i would MISS food but i really don't since i'm eating everything i want to, there was no real mourning of food for me...

i used to eat MASSIVE portions. it was almost work to do so, and we spent a lot of money on food! now i make one main Protein based dish and a couple smaller Protein based options and we eat off that almost all week! hubs does a lot of sandwiches and Soup and he loves those so he's ok with that.

as far as the huge family dinners and such, once i got back on to all foods it isn't such a problem at all. we have a lot of lunches catered in at work and i used to really eat- like at least 2 plates full. now i'm still having a hard time taking small enough portions- my eyes are still bigger than my stomach. getting better though.

for thanksgiving-which i host- i am going to be making a few small changes this year but plan to enjoy a taste of everything i cook. it will likely be a day of light grazing followed by one small plate of the actual dinner. my nut discourages grazing but said for something like a major holiday it's ok as long as my portions are good and it's only one day, not an entire week long event like we USED to have!

having bariatric is a huge decision, but for me it was the best decision i ever made. i got my health back and that is more vital than any serving of food...

My experience has been a little different. I was sleeved 3 weeks ago to the day. Although I dont really feel hunger, I experience what Ive seen refered to as "head hunger". In the beginning, it was really bad. I found this surprising, bc Ive always been a very picky eater, but I found myself craving foods that I didnt even like. I think this was a result of being on the liquid diet. Everything looked good to me. And everytime a commercial came on tv, it seemed to be a food commercial smh. That was my experience during the two weeks before my surgery and the two weeks after. Now the problem that Im having (although still mental), is that although I can only eat a very small amount, my brain is still telling me to eat more. For example, I had a chicken wing the other day (not a large on, but the little one that would come in an appetizer). I could only eat half of it, and was stuffed. Although physically I knew I could not eat anymore, my brain was saying "really though? 1/2 of a wing?..thats not even right". So although I dont fell hunger, and Ive started to be able to gauge how much my sleeve can handle at a time, its been a big mind game for me.

I am a year and a half post op. The first six months were easy. No hunger and the weight melted off. After six months it got much harder. I feel hunger and weight loss slowed drastically. I still love my sleeve and wouldn't change a thing. It has never been a big issue at holidays or when I am out with friends. It's all about making good choices and not over eating. When i go to restaurants I always have a to go container brought and have several meals left to enjoy later. My surgery isn't even a topic because all my friends and family know and is not even a big deal anymore, it is a way of life. I am one that still weighs their food when I can. I can generally do 4oz of food. I am down 119 pounds with 40 more to go. It is going to be a challenge, but it will be gone! Good luck to you all!

There's an old saying, "nothing tastes as good as thin feels". Now maybe at this stage some of us don't feel the desire to be "thin" as much as able to live again. There are small things in life that are important: tying your shoes with out a major effort, walking without huffing and puffing, looking and feeling proud in clothes and who you are, enjoying life as those around you do. So you have to decide if your love for food out ranks your love for life. I know my relationship with food is so strong that it ahs turned me into an unhealthy couch potato that is in fear of missing food more than missing life, so it's time for a change. I want to be happy, healthy and enjoy life, this doesn't mean I won't ever be able to enjoy real food again, I just have now the tools to control it. I WILL at somepoint intend to enjoy my favorite ribs, my favorite pizza and my favorite chinese food, but hopefully I won't be eating enough for two or three!I'm going for my sleeve in Tijuana on Sept 14, 2014 and I can't wait, I so wish I hadn't waited till now, and missed out on so much life.

My experience has been a little different. I was sleeved 3 weeks ago to the day. Although I dont really feel hunger, I experience what Ive seen refered to as "head hunger". In the beginning, it was really bad. I found this surprising, bc Ive always been a very picky eater, but I found myself craving foods that I didnt even like. I think this was a result of being on the liquid diet. Everything looked good to me. And everytime a commercial came on tv, it seemed to be a food commercial smh. That was my experience during the two weeks before my surgery and the two weeks after. Now the problem that Im having (although still mental), is that although I can only eat a very small amount, my brain is still telling me to eat more. For example, I had a chicken wing the other day (not a large on, but the little one that would come in an appetizer). I could only eat half of it, and was stuffed. Although physically I knew I could not eat anymore, my brain was saying "really though? 1/2 of a wing?..thats not even right". So although I dont fell hunger, and Ive started to be able to gauge how much my sleeve can handle at a time, its been a big mind game for me.

The same thing is happening to me! Im 5 weeks post op and i get full quickly but like you said my mind isnt satisfied with the little amounts i am eating.. And at times I've eaten more, felt sick yes but didnt care at the moment. Im really scared of stretching my sleeve! Head hunger sucks! Its my biggest issue right now.

Im not being facetious when I say this - I'm serious. Im considering getting the sleeve, and Im having a hard time imagining how eating will be afterwards.

For instance, is it that you just don't think about food? you don't even feel hungry most of the day?

How do you deal with big family meals (like christmas or thanksgiving)? What about restaurant eating?

Are your favourite foods still favourites or is that all different?

Help me understand what to expect!

Rachel

I think about food all the time. But its more in a diagnostic sort of way " Does this have enough Protein?" "How many carbs are in this?" "Is this going to raise my blood sugar?" I still get hungry, but not ravenously OMG I MUST EAT AN ENTIRE pizza OR I WILL DIE hungry.

I cooked traditional Sunday dinner this past weekend. Roast beef, green Beans, roasted fingerling potatoes, gravy and bread. Did I fill up a plate and eat all the food? Nope. I took a couple of slices of the beef, a tiny serving of potatoes and a tiny bit of the green Beans. I made sure to eat all the meat, but only managed a bite of the potatoes and green beans. Didn't have any bread at all. Despite my husband having seconds and thirds (he has a metabolism stoked by the fires of hell), there were lots of left overs. I took some and made a TV dinner, took some more and made beef croquettes, and the rest is there for my husband to nosh on.

Restaurant eating - I eat what I'm going to eat and then I get a to go box.

Everything I liked before surgery I can still eat. Some people have issues with some foods being too heavy or tasting different, but I can basically eat all the same stuff, just wee tiny amounts. I would honestly rather have a bite of the cake than a giant 800 calorie slice of it.

I am almost six weeks out and I constantly think about food and deal with head hunger. Everyone's experience is different. I so wish I was one of those who don't think about food or feel hunger! I am in for a life-long battle, but at least the sleeve gives me a fighting chance.

Almost a week out, not hungry yet, so yipee! I have enjoyed reading everyone's replies! I will keep following! Thank you for your honesty good and bad;)

Have a blessed weekend!!!

Fascinating thread. Thanks to all for your answers.

I am only 3 days out and I'm not hungry nor think about food at all. My recovery is going well so far thank god. I am drinking my 64 oz or close to it of Water a day. I'm always thirsty. I am worried that I'm stretching my stomach by drinking all this water but that's what they told me to do and I want to follow their requirements. I only felt a little nausea the day after surgery thank god but I bought a wrist band that may have helped. Any way my start weight was 298 my weight at the hospital before surgery was 278 and today I am 279. They say the iv Fluid may cause the weight gain after surgery. I can't wait to see my # on my scale to go down every month. Well good luck with your decision.