Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatricpal scared me shitless

I did a lot of research about the sleeve and was feeling very overwhelmed also. But then I started to hear all the success stories. There are far more cases of success than complications. I also talked with my doctor and he can not even remember the last time he had a patient with a leak. Just remember to stay positive. If your near JBLM let me know. I work at Madigan and will be having my procedure there also.

Can you share what you read that scared you? I have read mostly positive posts.

I was very apprehensive until I met with the surgeon. And once I went to a support group meeting of pre and post surgery folks, my fears really evaporated. Now I am kind of dreading the pre op diet but no fear.

There are always risks but statistically I have more to fear from obesity. Don't do this if you have doubts. But go to a support group before you decide and meet people who had it done. It really helped me. God bless!

Also, I am almost 57. I have learned this lesson the hard way: Don't let fear make your decisions for you.

Also, I am almost 57. I have learned this lesson the hard way: Don't let fear make your decisions for you.

well said!

Why do you think that everyone who has weight loss surgery checks in here at Bariatric Pal?

That's one way of saying: They don't.

You know who posts here most frequently? People who are comfortable online, younger patients, those who don't work outside the home, and those patients who are (perhaps) more anxious than others, and those who have more bona fide problems recovering from the surgery than others.

Look at it this way: Last year over 200,000 people in the US had weight loss surgery. At the clinic where I had VSG -- and judging by the number of people who attend introductory lectures throughout the year vs. the number of surgeries my surgeon does annually -- I estimate that 15-25% of all prospective patients who attend the lectures and consider WLS actually receive the surgery.

Most people don't meet health, insurance, behavioral and other standards for necessary for WLS surgery. Some people just don't want to go through with it.

So what you get, at least in the US, are people who've been pretty well vetted. Most of them who have WLS do not have complications. Most of them have pretty easy recoveries. 50-60% of them go on to lose and maintain over half of their excess weight loss. Many of those (20%?) go on to lose and maintain ALL their excess weight loss.

If you haven't been to an introductory lecture, you should go. That's where you will be able to put the whole picture together better than you can reading random posts here at BP.

Best wishes to you in whatever route you take.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

it is a risk/reward trade off. for me it was simple. die young because of obesity, or something weight related. continue on the same path, lower energy, laziness. OR, turn my life around and get fit, healthy, active.

plenty of inspirations stuff on here. things so impressive they make my hair stand up.

I am post op 1 week and am 53 years old. I have had no issues. Hospital stay is minimal (2 days for me). I haven't thrown up or been sick to my stomach since I was released for the hospital. I have very little pain, in fact, I don't even feel like I had the majority of my stomach removed. I am so encouraged and hope you become comfortable with the decision. My Doctor was very recommended in my area. just make sure your Doctor has a good reputation for this surgery.

Good Luck!

I didn't find this place until after my surgery. Honestly I didn't even think of coming online for pre-op support. I was getting all the info I wanted and needed from my program.

The thing about the innerwebz is that you are more likely to hear from people who are having issues. There are literally thousands of people who had successful surgeries who never logged on line. People who are having issues tend to seek out support from wherever they can find it. But someone who had an easy time of it is much less likely to be posting on forums. As for me I had a super easy time of it, except for the one time my 12 lb cat jumped on my tummy when I was four days post op. So I post letting you all know my experiences and for the camaraderie of other people who have had the surgery since I am keeping it on the low low irl.

Thanks for all the replies ????. I have decided to wait on the surgery since my husband just got orders to alaska...this has to take a back seat. We have to be there by November 10th.

Thanks for all the replies dde0a. I have decided to wait on the surgery since my husband just got orders to alaska...this has to take a back seat. We have to be there by November 10th.

The dde0a is supposed to be a smilie face

Everyone has a story, some good and some bad. I had my surgery on June 25th. I don't know if I am lucky or what but I've had NO complications or problems. I did have a 3 week stall where I lost NO weight. Stayed the same. It broke the other day and now the weight is falling off.

Only you can decide what is right for you. I am so much happier now and I'm only down 30 lbs. I feel great!

Good luck on your journey!

I am one month out of the sleeve and can say I have no regrets. This is major surgery and is not meant to be easy but as long as you follow your doctors instructions you should be fine. I am down 25lbs so far and the closest I came to a complication was dehydration. There is pain involved for the first few weeks and if you have little ones you are definitely going to need a lot of help. I have been fortunate enough to not get sick, I have not thrown up at all. Feeling nervous is normal, the closer my surgery got the more doubts a had. I wish you the best in whatever you decide.

I have to say, Yes! Reading some of the stories on here scared me....from losing my hair to spending the rest of my life in sleeve misery. Somebody on this site, told me to just stop worrying.... it really is a risk just stepping outside. Go for it! You will be fine and happy you did it! Stop worrying :)

Edited by byebyebelly

The dde0a is supposed to be a smilie face

I've been wondering what the heck that is / have been seeing it a lot on here lately :)