Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 day pouch test

Has anyone done this? I am looking to re-motivate myself and I want to do the 5 day pouch test to help "go back to the basics." I feel like I am not paying attention to what I am eating or how much I am consuming. I have a few questions though...

Days 1&2 are like the basic liquid diet post-op, right?

Days 3-5 I understand are different consistencies of Protein.... When you get to day 4 or 5, can you include the Protein consistencies from 3 and 4? Like can you have steamed scallops and then a peice of baked chicken on the same day..?!

And what can you eat for Breakfast? Protein shake in the am and the soft/firm/solid Proteins for lunch and dinner? What about fruits and veggies?! Can I have that with the protein?! What about yogurt?!

"Days 1&2 are like the basic liquid diet post-op, right?"

Yes.

Day 3 can be salmon, chicken or most any meat.

The diet is similar to the zone diet so it's mainly low or no carbs for 5 days. She recommends very low glycemic foods such as refried Beans on the 3rd day. She recommends shakes as only a snack and not as a meal.

Bypass people have real pouches that hold about 4 ozs of food. We have a very small pouch where food stays for a few seconds before it passes through the stoma.

Edited by 2muchfun

Thank you! I think this is a good way of going back to the basics, i may not have a real pouch but I'll be able to get in touch with my band! Lol

I've found that fasting for 18 hours after dinner 3 times a week has done the same for me. It's my own modified version of the 5:2 diet. I stop eating at 7 pm and don't eat solid food or foods/drinks with any calories till about 1 pm the following day. I fast Mon, Wed, Friday and eat normal the other 4 days. I've dropped 15 lbs in 2.5 months.

It's my 4:3 intermittent fast diet. Skipping breakfast on those three days and drinking lots of fluids keeps me reminded of what true hunger is. Here's a link to the 5:2 diet if you want to check it out.

5:2 Diet Partner For people too lazy to read the book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Aj6hRYg4A

&

Vicki Edgson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq1jwtFeGvk

But, I think the 5-Day Pouch Test is also a good way to clean out your system and get in touch.

Hi all! I just had a fill and started this today. The Bariatric Nurse gave me a print out and then I found the website. From the website (for Days 1 & 2) it says:

"A diet of simple liquids, including Protein drinks, clear broth, creamy Soups, and hearty soups takes the guess work out of meal planning so you can focus on making well and making right your WLS tool."

I am just not sure what they mean by "hearty" Soups? When I hear "hearty" I think of Soup with lots of stuff in it. Like veggies, Beans, meat of some kind.

So far I'm doing really well drinking Protein shakes and drinks and had some Tomato Soup. Having some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup now. I'd really like more ideas to get away from the sweet shakes/drinks...it just gets OLD.

Hi all! I just had a fill and started this today. The Bariatric Nurse gave me a print out and then I found the website. From the website (for Days 1 & 2) it says:

"A diet of simple liquids, including Protein drinks, clear broth, creamy Soups, and hearty soups takes the guess work out of meal planning so you can focus on making well and making right your WLS tool."

I am just not sure what they mean by "hearty" soups? When I hear "hearty" I think of Soup with lots of stuff in it. Like veggies, Beans, meat of some kind.

So far I'm doing really well drinking Protein shakes and drinks and had some Tomato Soup. Having some unjury chicken soup now. I'd really like more ideas to get away from the sweet shakes/drinks...it just gets OLD.

http://5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

There are recipes for hearty soups, they do have meat, Beans, fats, cheese in them... I am starting today, and made a split pea soup to use as part of my liquid days one and two. I dont eat meat, but am including TVP to bring up the protein content. The diet asks us not to starve, but to eat whats on the list. I'm taking her at her word. The rest of the day I will have Protein Drinks, and a SF pudding which is also included on the OK list for days one and two. All together, the cals are only around 500.... and I am having around 5 meals/snacks

I have just discovered the "5-Day Pouch Test" link and have spent the last couple of hours reading, copying, pasting, downloading and saving.

I had lap-band WLS on Dec 18th, 2014. As of April 30th (4 months post-surgery) I was down 45 pounds but have been in a full stall for about 5 weeks and have gained back 3 pounds. WAH! I'm actually not discouraged at all - realizing this is a normal part of the process - however I am eager to get things moving once again towards further weight loss.

After getting on to this forum and searching "stalls", "set-backs", etc. The "5-day Pouch Test" kept popping up. And so I am ON IT. When I was pre-surgical, the 2-week liquid diet was a challenge, but was totally manageable. I anticipate the 2 days liquid diet (wine is a liquid, right? KIDDING!) being a breeze.

Really what this is a modified version of the Atkins "Induction" phase, designed for WLS people. I am highly versed in Atkins, having spent 3 years of my life on it and lost 60 pounds.... I love how friendly the recipes are and how this little mini-diet gives my band a chance to 'rest' and do it's thing.

Looking forward to getting this started in a couple of days. For now, dinner is on BBQ, there is a glass of red wine in hand and it is a gorgeous long weekend with sunshine and gardening to do. I am enjoying every second of this time until I hit the grocery store tomorrow and get everything I need for the "5-Day Pouch Test" diet.

Will keep the thread posted on when I start and how things go!

TheProfessor

Keep in mind the 5 Day Pouch Test was designed for folks who had bypass surgery. It's a good way to kick start your way back to feeling your band pouch. We really don't have much in the way of a pouch. Maybe two tablespoons at the most. Bypass folks can hold up to 4 ozs of food but we can't unless we've dilated our pouch.

I have the sleeve, started it yesterday and lost 3 pounds in one day (water Water water loss) Im using it to get out of my eating rut.... to many carbs, not enough water, too much grazing.... so far so good.