Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastics completed...need encouragement please

When I first had the arms done I would never have thought there would be enough skin for a revision, but over the year as the swelling went away I was left with a little too much extra anyway. so it's all good, get the pulled area fixed, get rid of the extra skin and have a better placement...I am confident it will all turn out much better...

Edited by AZDee

AZDee, very good to know. Good luck. Please keep me posted on your progress. Thank you :)

I didn't read all the replies, but I wanted to share soomething with you. I am 8 months out from plastics and I almost didn't get the arms done because of the "scars". I am lucky that they are hidden when my arms are in a normal position, but still, scars.

Well, they have faded, ALOT. They are a thin line, although some sections are still red. Even so, wow, what a difference. Whether sleeveless or not, my whole profile changed and the Excess skin removal from the arm completely moved me from looking sorta... frumpy... to looking trim and atheletic.

You might be in a bit of post surgery depression. Plastics are TOUGH, no joke, hard to recover from. Wears you out, makes you tired, is emotional, filled with doubts and all that... but it passes. I am so thrilled with my results - I don't even see my scars anymore. Everyonece in awhile somebody notices them and can be a little shocked. And I will have to say... yeah, I do look like I had pretty big surgery.... I just don't even see it anymore. I love my results, scars and all.... and I bet you will too.

Hang in there - this whole journey ain't for wimps that is for sure!

I added a picture from this weekend. For anyone who every weighed like the size of two grown men... and now is something like a "normal" weight realizes that I had ALOT of extra arm skin. I do have scars, but, look at those arms. Makes me feel so happy to look normal and hardly anybody notices those scars anyway!

post-122684-0-23405900-1408396788_thumb.jpg

Edited by CowgirlJane

Wow CowgirlJane, that is a beautiful shot of your arms! There is nothing like seeing that definition, is there?

Slowly, I am coming to terms with this, even though it is not what I expected. I did look frumpy with my sagging skin and hanging stretch marks. Now, front and sides look fit and toned. The back, well...my scars will fade too.

It is very emotional. It really is like a whirlwind...sleeve surgery then the plastics...my mind has to catch up with my body! I am looking forward to recovery being over and getting back into my routine. I think that will help tremendously, too.

Thank you so much for the encouragement and for sharing the fantastic pic. I am very grateful.

It's been 11 months since I was sleeved. I have lost a total of 148 pounds since the pre op diet and although I am thrilled with the weight loss, I am not happy with my appearance. I have an appointment to see a plastic surgeon in November and am hoping someone can suggest questions I should ask him. I have so much excess skin, I'm pretty certain I will need a body lift. If anyone has been nthrough this and can suggest things I should be thinking about, I would appreciate any input and thanks:)

@@sunshine22 I had plastics last Monday, so I'm one week out from a LBL (tummy tuck, butt lift with autologous fat) and bilateral brachioplasty. Right now, I'm sort of wondering what the heck have I done? I'm incredibly miserable, and really scarred up - just as I knew I would be. I have two drains in, and still can't stand up straight. But I just keep holding on to the hope that it's all going to be worth it in the end!

As for those arm scars - I discussed placement with my surgeon. She said there is a movement toward the placement where yours are, but that it's a personal decision. I decided to have mine placed inside as close toward the back as possible. I still have the steri-strips on them, and my arms are swollen like sausages, but already look immensely better. I decided that while I wasn't thrilled with the idea of more scars, at least my arms would look better in clothes. I saw a picture of myself from the side recently, and I was shocked at how awful that dripping arm skin looks, even clothed. I never left the house without my arms covered to my elbow, and I figured that even if I had to keep doing that, at least in clothes, they would look way better!

@@MichiganChic, thank you for this information. I had no idea there was a movement regarding placement more towards the back! I know my arms were in bad shape, very saggy, loose hanging stretch marks. It was just hard for me to take in those scars! Even when you know you will have them, it can still be quite shocking!

I am wishing you a healthy and speedy recovery. The first two weeks were so hard for me physically and emotionally. It is quite a journey we are on, isn't it?? Best of luck with everything! And yes, this WILL all be worth it in the end:)

First thing I'm doing is not my tummy, arms, t*ts, a** or legs.

First thing I'm doing is walking into my local medical cosmetic clinic and trying out some of those injectables and other dealios that make your face look like you've just slept for 36 hours and then had your makeup professionally applied.

@@sunshine22 Thanks for the well wishes. I got those drains out yesterday, and I feel like a new woman! I can just about stand up straight now. My arms are still very tight and swollen, but not nearly as miserable as they were a week ago. I know I still have one more surgery ahead of me - legs and boobs, and on one hand I don't want to put myself through it, but on the other hand, I know that I will because I want to be done!

One thing I've noticed, is that being miserable is lowering my guard around eating. I've been sticking a little more in my mouth, justifying it because I need more calories to heal (true, but I know I'll gain doing it) so I'm glad I'm feeling well enough to get myself back together!

Good luck to you as you adjust to your wonderful new bod! Those scars are going to fade - and I hear there are many effective treatments to flatten and lighten them.

@MichiganChic...that is funny about the legs and boobs...they would be my next choice too! I am just not sure about another surgery! Time will tell :)

Glad to hear the drains are out and you are feeling like a new woman. It is such a big relief, isn't it? Goodness they were awful!

The eating...yikes, I can relate to that all too well. Some days, I feel like I am starving. I really hope it will subside once I am back to work and a normal routine. It is still shocking to me how much more I can eat these days. I felt much better when I could at least work out.

But, before we know it we will be back to our new normal!!!