Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastics completed...need encouragement please

I too have had extensive scar tissue from previous surgeries. My PS wants for me to have the best results was what you had. I want to ask my insurance company BCBS is they will pay for it.. I have several visits to the doctor with extensive rashes (photos for evidence). I went to one ps and they are mostly private paid and don't want to deal with cosmetic surgery if not paying cash.

Will insurance pay for the Fleur dis ? My arms are bad but my choice would be stomache with arms next in line. LOL if I had a choice.

Do you have picures? I would take scars over mega saggy skin anyday.............I have lots of drooping,

At first after my brachioplasty I was so shocked and mortified - Looked like someone did a right mess on my arms. Now (4yrs on) I can hardly find the scar unless I look for it - Nobody has ever mentioned it - Even in summer when I wear a top that shows all my arms.

I am sure your scars will fade considerably over time and you will also come to terms with the new you - Unfortunately with plastics, an incision leaves a scar - BUT - These scars - I have found are so much better than the deflated balloon suit that I wore before. I am sure all will be OK in the end.

These are some pics from a little while ago You can see the scar - But it doesn't take over my entire focus I guess. People don't always look at you in that way - And I guess if they do - I would say 'Thanks for noticing - They are the scars from a surgery that changed my life' And leave it at that.

18thJune2014-Leftarm_zps8e2b10be.jpg

18ThJune2014-Leftarm2_zpsc36231a5.jpg

And the worst looking one... (Which also doesn't bother me - Just noticed it looks worse in this pic)

18thJune2014-Rightarm_zps55799282.jpg

I guess my surgeon made me well aware to keep my expectations realistic n our first, and all consultations. I am covered with scars, but I have come to make friends with them as I hated the me that went to the surgeons office that first time. I was a freak when I was fat, and then again afterwards - I felt a freak again. All I wanted was normality... Seemed that was something I would never get - I hated me.

After the first Op (Breast reduction and brachioplasty) I felt amazing - The scars went down quite fast and the arm scars didn't bother me, as I was too busy thinking of the next Op that would give me more normality (TT with vertical T incision)

I think alot of accepting the scars is in accepting that they will always be there - Forever. But they are so much lesser than arms that waved half an hour after you actually waved. They are the trade off for this kind of surgery and if you didn't ever want a scar then I guess you would hafta stay in the skin you were in. To me - I could not bear to stay in the skin I was in and the scars - And I personally have 162 inches of them - Yeah I measured, lol. But - To me - I wear a swimsuit, which shows alot of them off (on legs, sometimes lower back and belly, and arms of course) But I say &^%$ THE WORLD, I love the new me and I am gonna LIVE and laugh and be happy"!

I do hope you are happy as I am with your end results.

(Forgot to say - Keep the paper tapes on for as long as possible - 10-12 weeks is good, no matter what your PS says! - Mine said 6 weeks but in my 4th and 5th op I keeps them on for 10-12 weeks and those scars are much finer and much better than these, my first scars from first Op. The paper tapes support the scar in the first healing, and the scar won't stretch as much if supported by the tapes - Had I known that at this op and kept the tapes on longer - These scars woul have been finer - Also make sure you massage the scars twice a day aftertapes off,and massage for a longgggggggggg time)

Edited by Scamp

To answer your question @@spiritedcowgirl63, my insurance did cover the panniculectomy portion of my surgery. I extended it to the abdominoplasty with fleur de lis and paid the difference. I had lots of documentation from my family doctor and my dermatologist regarding rashes and infections, over the counter treatments, etc...all submitted and approved for coverage. I chose to have the additional surgery done to repair the abdominal muscles and to remove the excess skin on the upper abdomen. But that was my choice. I could have had everything paid in full if I had just had the panniculectomy for skin removal only.

The brachioplasty was not covered by insurance.

My advise is have your medical team document, document, document!

Good luck

Thank you @@Scamp for your reply and pictures. If my scars turn out as beautiful as yours, I will be overjoyed! I think I am just dealing with the initial shock of the bandages being removed. I am still building up the courage to post some pictures of my own.

I did know the brachioplasty posterior placement was a possibility, it is just hard to look at initially. I too have extensive scars, over 7 feet...and yes, I too measured...lol! The abdominoplasty with fleur de lis, I am totally okay with. It really is such a blessing to have all that skin removed!

Regarding the massage...did your use any special creams or oils? Also, what type of tape did you use and how soon after surgery did you start? I still have my stitches in.

And finally, your suggestion of: "Thanks for noticing. They are scars from a surgery that changed my life." Brought tears to my eyes. This really is so true. Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement.

The paper tape was just micropore tape (its pinky) it was the best one - I tested different types on myself and micropore gave me the best scar results, lol

This tape (They say it's brown but i always thought it pink lol) http://www.chopmyhair.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/c6d773281cabadc582c3cd676b3a9b63/1/4/1401b-1.jpg

1401b-1.jpg

My fleur de lis stretchdd a little bit (not a lot really) but I loooooove my new belly - So amazing even 4yrs down the line I still adore my new belly!

This was my belly in 2011 (op aug 2010) I will hafta get a recent pic uploaded...

Belly270311-02_zps1847c37c.jpg

I did not use any special cream - My PS said E45 - But my daughter has exzema so I used her Diprobase cream (Its like E45 just easier to use as not as dry) I am 4yrs post Op1 and 2.5yrs post op5 and I still massage twice a day - Just makes me feel better I guess, lol

The reason I still return here is because this was the only site where I could really SEE pictures at that time and talk to people about my fears, and now, to return that gift, I return to help other people on this part of their journeys. Return one kindness for receiving one I guess....

Plastics was one of the most important parts of finding ME. Getting to know the ME I am now. Getting to normal - Though in many ways I guess all the scars make me abnormal, but I have never been this size since I was a child. I have never felt as good in myself - ever!

Plastics was a gift I gave to myself, and a wonderful gift given to me by my surgeon, who was amazing (He probably thinks I am nutso - Prolly correct lol - But - I get through the trials and tribulations of life with humour, if I am laughing - Then I am coping, when I go silent - It is time to worry - lol)

I am glad to find another person who also measured their scars length - LOLOL

Edited by Scamp

Thank you @Scamp. Your tummy is beautiful. It is nice to see another fleur de lis. Your surgeon did a beautiful job.

I see my surgeon again tomorrow. I will be picking up the micropore tape. I am also using compression garments on my arms and tummy and will be for quite some time. It makes me feel much more secure to have the garments on. When they are off for showering, I am very uncomfortable. I feel like my skin is pulling, especially on my arms. Did you feel that way? I imagine the tape will also add a secure feeling.

I am glad you understand about feeling "normal." I have always wished I could be a strong and confident woman! How I admire women with those qualities! When I was 300 lbs, I always felt so self-conscious. I thought when I got to goal, I would finally feel normal. But with all the skin, I did not. That is when I decided to have plastics. Am I striving for perfection...no. Just my personal version of normal...even with my 7 feet of scars...lol! It is so individual to each of us, isn't it?

Thank you for returning to these boards to lend support. I appreciate all of the advice and encouragement.

Sunshine22,

I think your amazing. You are taking steps to make yourself feel better. I am on the very beginning of this journey. I start week 5 yesterday. I know when I reach my goal I will have to have thighs done. They have always been oversized even when I was thinner. I understand the scars and the fear of them looking bad. Just remember why you are doing this, it is for you and you alone. If you are uncomfortable then you change it. Thank you for your post. It was encouraging to me.

Yes - Compression garments like armour against all ills - I stayed in them also for 12 weeks :-)

I am in no way perfection - But - I believe that this long journey (and a small dose of personal OCD) has helped me to be absolute in maintaining the loss and never going back to the old me that I used to be.

Good luck to you :-)

Edited by Scamp

Thank you @Scamp. Your tummy is beautiful. It is nice to see another fleur de lis. Your surgeon did a beautiful job. I see my surgeon again tomorrow. I will be picking up the micropore tape. I am also using compression garments on my arms and tummy and will be for quite some time. It makes me feel much more secure to have the garments on. When they are off for showering, I am very uncomfortable. I feel like my skin is pulling, especially on my arms. Did you feel that way? I imagine the tape will also add a secure feeling. I am glad you understand about feeling "normal." I have always wished I could be a strong and confident woman! How I admire women with those qualities! When I was 300 lbs, I always felt so self-conscious. I thought when I got to goal, I would finally feel normal. But with all the skin, I did not. That is when I decided to have plastics. Am I striving for perfection...no. Just my personal version of normal...even with my 7 feet of scars...lol! It is so individual to each of us, isn't it? Thank you for returning to these boards to lend support. I appreciate all of the advice and encouragement.

I also felt like my skin was pulling around my incisions without my compression garment on. My surgeon said that's a normal feeling and in time it will go away. I had a LBL/TT/BL so without my garment I felt like the lower half of me was going to fall off! Lol! I'll be 7 weeks out on Tuesday and I'm not feeling that way as much but I still wear my compression, probably until 12 weeks or so. I had a very small seroma in my mons area that had to be aspirated a few times so my doctor is recommending to continue wearing the compression garments.

I can relate to the feeling of wanting to feel normal without all of the excess skin! I told my doctor and my husband that I just wanted to feel comfortable in my own skin again. It's such a liberating feeling to not have the excess skin hanging around! Finally, I can see my little body under all of the skin and I am loving it. Like I said earlier it's all very emotional.

The paper tape was just micropore tape (its pinky) it was the best one - I tested different types on myself and micropore gave me the best scar results, lol This tape (They say it's brown but i always thought it pink lol) http://www.chopmyhair.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/c6d773281cabadc582c3cd676b3a9b63/1/4/1401b-1.jpg My fleur de lis stretchdd a little bit (not a lot really) but I loooooove my new belly - So amazing even 4yrs down the line I still adore my new belly! This was my belly in 2011 (op aug 2010) I will hafta get a recent pic uploaded... I did not use any special cream - My PS said E45 - But my daughter has exzema so I used her Diprobase cream (Its like E45 just easier to use as not as dry) I am 4yrs post Op1 and 2.5yrs post op5 and I still massage twice a day - Just makes me feel better I guess, lol The reason I still return here is because this was the only site where I could really SEE pictures at that time and talk to people about my fears, and now, to return that gift, I return to help other people on this part of their journeys. Return one kindness for receiving one I guess.... Plastics was one of the most important parts of finding ME. Getting to know the ME I am now. Getting to normal - Though in many ways I guess all the scars make me abnormal, but I have never been this size since I was a child. I have never felt as good in myself - ever! Plastics was a gift I gave to myself, and a wonderful gift given to me by my surgeon, who was amazing (He probably thinks I am nutso - Prolly correct lol - But - I get through the trials and tribulations of life with humour, if I am laughing - Then I am coping, when I go silent - It is time to worry - lol) I am glad to find another person who also measured their scars length - LOLOL

Scamp, thanks for returning to the boards and sharing your experiences and pictures!

Hi how curious how much is the plastics surgery?

It really depends what you want done and where you are having surgery. Plastics are a very individualized process so prices vary. I suggest going to different doctors and having consults to see what different doctors suggest for you and see what their prices are. Look on realself.com and you can find some great advice as well as different prices in different areas.

Some have chosen to go Mexico to have plastics. Prices in Mexico are usually cheaper in the states but do your research. There are excellent doctors in Mexico.

Thank you for all your responses. Im not worried about scarring and I would like to have the Tummy Tuck. I too see that I'm almost to goal but the skin is so much more than I expected. As if I have another 20 pounds to lose but its skin. Thanks again :)

If your arm scars go past your elbow, then you most likely had more extra loose skin than most. The important thing is that the loose skin is gone. It's been over a year since I had mine done and they have turned into a thin fine white line with the exception of a puckered area at the elbows on both arms. I also am not happy with the placement of the lower cut so it is being moved when I have a revision on the lower portion of my arms. Having to have little fixes is not uncommon, let the arms heal and see how they turn out. I have a new plastic surgeon who will be fixing mine and I like his attitude, he says everything thing can be fixed...

Thanks to all of you for the support.

Jordan861, congratulations on your sleeve surgery. Your first year will fly by. This surgery is such an amazing opportunity. I wish you much success!

Scamp, OCD...yep I can relate there! Oh my gosh, I hope it helps keep me in check now, lol! My goodness, I look back and I wonder...how did I ever let that happen to myself? I know that is the main reason I weigh daily now. Before I knew it 20 lbs, then 40, then 75...I know the gain wasn't overnight, but sometimes it seems like it can happen in the blink of an eye. I need to be vigilant everyday!

Sarsar, I am so happy you are loving your results and feeling good! I have had to go for needle aspirations twice now since drains were removed in my tummy. That is no fun. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I am keeping nice, tight compression and crossing my fingers. This really is an emotional rollercoaster.

Lovingdavid, I agree with Sarsar, realself is an excellent resource for information and costs in your area. Check it out.

AZDee, I did have a tremendous amount of loose skin full of hanging stretch marks. Yikes, truly awful. I am glad to hear a revision on the arms or little corrections are possible. I did not know that as there seems to be such little skin left to work with. Thanks for letting me know. Good luck with your new surgeon.

Moment by moment, I find myself calming down regarding the arm scars. It is still quite a shock to see initially. But, I am still so grateful to have had the opportunity to have the sleeve and the plastics. And I am very humbled by all of your kind responses. Thank you everyone.