Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastics completed...need encouragement please

Hello.

I had my scheduled panniculectomy revised to an abdominoplasty with fleur de lis incision. I was back and forth regarding the risks involved with an old, large gall bladder scar. I sought multipe consults and even discussed with my bariatric surgeon. I finally decided to take the leap with the fleur de lis. My tummy was a disaster with skin. I felt eventough I had reached a normal BMI, I was still wearing the "fat suit" I have heard other people talk about. I am completely okay now with the larger tummy scars as I did not plan on wearing a bikini. I am just so beyond grateful having the skin removed.

So here is my issue: I also had a brachioplasty completed. I had the arm skin of a 100 year old. Totally scarred from old stretch marks, causing skin to be incredibly loose, wrinkled. They were just awful. I would always wear longer sleeves. I work out so hard and have nice muscles. Just could never see them thru the excess skin! Because of the excessive skin issue, there was a possibility going in that I would have to have a posterior brachioplasty. The incision goes closer to the back of my arms, rather than the common pics seen of it medial (and hid very well with arms at side). Now, my arms look beautiful from the front and the sides. You can see my muscles/definition now. The skin is that tight. However, looking at me from from the back the scar is very visible and extends about an inch below my elbow.

I am not even sure what I am getting at here...I am rambling...I guess I just wanted the scar totally hidden and am struggling because it isn't. I had hopes it would not be as bad as it appears to me now. I am trying to remind myself of how far I have come. Maybe trying to feel proud even though I am still scarred. I just so wanted to be able to wear short sleeves or tanks and feel good about myself. I don't think I have ever in my adult life felt good about myself. I just wanted to feel like a normal woman.

Is this the end of the world...no. Am I still blessed...yes. Just struggling right now. Thanks for listening.

Congrats on getting these plastics done. It sounds like everything has / is healing nicely.

When was your surgery?

Isn't it likely that all your scars will fade considerably with time?

You are a normal woman. I have had fat arms and very heavy legs all my life. Even as a young girl. To this day I refuse to wear sleeve that do not go to my elbow and my legs are always covered pass my calves. But as I got older, even if I still refuse to change the way I dress, I began to be thankful for having arms that enable me to care for myself and my children. I once was a TV show about a woman with no arms who had a baby. Another woman lost her arms from some type of blood infection that took over her entire body. I'm thankful for legs...period. I'm not in a wheelchair and I do not use a walker or cane. My legs work great. Do I feel comfortable showing them? No, but that's my issue. I know we all strive for perfection, but what is that? I hope you will come to terms with the scar and embrace the wonderful progress you have made so far. I know my arms will probably be horrible after I lose the bulk of my weight, but what can I do? I don't have the money for plastics. So most likely I will continue to wear sleeves that go to my elbow. Be encouraged.

@VSGAnn2014...the plastics were a few weeks ago. Yes, I am sure the scars will fade in time. Thank you

@finediva...I too am thankful for my arms and being able to carry and care for my children. Like I said, am I still blessed, yes. I am just having a moment that's all.

Thank you both

I applaud your bravery in getting your plastics done. Please keep us informed of how the healing is going. There are so many of us on the fence about this, especially if insurance won't cover the surgery. I had to look up what a fleur de lis incision looked like. Oh wow, that's a lot of staples. Look ahead to a year from now when the pain is gone and the scars are no longer red and angry. I wish you good luck and good health.

Thank you for the encouragement @@Miss Mac. I appreciate it. Wishing good luck and health right back to you.

the one surgery I really want is the arm lift. before wt. loss it was my arms that made me wear size 26. I can wear size 18-20 now but the wt. loss on my arms is making little butts appear on some tops. I will put up with scars that will fade in time and if they were put where I can't see them hell, I don't care. I am tired of the little butts. congrat's on all the hard work you have done. just walk proud.

If I had a single body plastic surgery done, it would also be to my arms.

We shall see ... we shall see ....

My plastics are scheduled for next week and I opted out of the arm lift temporarily because I am scared of the scar. It seems no matter where they place it, you can see it a little bit. I know it may not be much consolation, but if it's at the back of your arm, it is probably hard for you to see it without using a mirror and turning around to look, right? Look at the beautiful person you are from the front and the side and try to ignore the back part. The only people who are looking at it are behind you, likely not paying any attention to scars on your arms, and all of us have scars...some just more visible than others, so eventually you may just forget it's even there. Also, scars look really bad the first few weeks after surgery....in a few months they should fade considerably and you may not find them to be noticeable at all. Good luck with your recovery! :)

It will be something all the time. Body image is what we will fight our entire lives. I know that when they do plastics on me there will be quite the decision making on the part of the surgeon. Since everything that has happened to me in life and through this surgery. I am covered in scars. I don't care. All I am asking is for the lose skin to be gone. So I won't look so distorted.

Anything else for me will be gravy. Through all this journey your health is the number one goal. Looks well they are in there somewhere. There are people who have big scars on their arms. The woman chef on 'Top Chef' has not slowed her down....

Look hard with yourself and say who cares I know where I've been and I know where I'm going and do it anyway.......I admire your strength to get plastics. I too will do it...

Can we see some photos of the new you! :)

Hello. I had my scheduled panniculectomy revised to an abdominoplasty with fleur de lis incision. I was back and forth regarding the risks involved with an old, large gall bladder scar. I sought multipe consults and even discussed with my bariatric surgeon. I finally decided to take the leap with the fleur de lis. My tummy was a disaster with skin. I felt eventough I had reached a normal BMI, I was still wearing the "fat suit" I have heard other people talk about. I am completely okay now with the larger tummy scars as I did not plan on wearing a bikini. I am just so beyond grateful having the skin removed. So here is my issue: I also had a brachioplasty completed. I had the arm skin of a 100 year old. Totally scarred from old stretch marks, causing skin to be incredibly loose, wrinkled. They were just awful. I would always wear longer sleeves. I work out so hard and have nice muscles. Just could never see them thru the excess skin! Because of the excessive skin issue, there was a possibility going in that I would have to have a posterior brachioplasty. The incision goes closer to the back of my arms, rather than the common pics seen of it medial (and hid very well with arms at side). Now, my arms look beautiful from the front and the sides. You can see my muscles/definition now. The skin is that tight. However, looking at me from from the back the scar is very visible and extends about an inch below my elbow. I am not even sure what I am getting at here...I am rambling...I guess I just wanted the scar totally hidden and am struggling because it isn't. I had hopes it would not be as bad as it appears to me now. I am trying to remind myself of how far I have come. Maybe trying to feel proud even though I am still scarred. I just so wanted to be able to wear short sleeves or tanks and feel good about myself. I don't think I have ever in my adult life felt good about myself. I just wanted to feel like a normal woman. Is this the end of the world...no. Am I still blessed...yes. Just struggling right now. Thanks for listening.

I am 6 weeks out from plastics and it is such an emotional journey so I completely understand where you are coming from! Especially during recovery when there isn't a lot you can do...very emotional.

Did you discuss scar placement with your surgeon before surgery? If so, what did he say?

My doctor said it will be a full year before I see the complete results from the surgery and during that time my body and my scars will continue to change and take shape. I didn't have my arms done so I can't relate to the scar on the arms.

I understand your concern and I have a feeling part of you didn't even want to post this because you know things could be much worse and there are a lot of people out there that wish they could be in your shoes just to even have plastics. Those are some of the things I have felt during recovery! I am thrilled with my results but I still sometimes find myself poking and pulling here and there and saying what if he would have done this?? Then I try to remember what he said about things changing and the healing process taking a long time. Also, as I'm able to do more and get back to my normal life I don't think about these things as much.

You can be beautiful even with the biggest scar! Look at Padma Lakshmi, (host of Top Chef)! Nobody really cares about her scar. :) She did an interview with Vogue India where she talked about it: http://www.bravotv.com/blogs/the-dish/padma-lakshmi-wont-hide-her-scar-from-cameras

048c6f40bb57712d85e6d277738b696c.jpg

Thank you @AvaFern. Yes, the scars are only visible directly from behind. I can't see them unless I hold a mirror up to look. Best of luck on your upcoming plastics!!

Thank you too @RJ'S/beginning. You are always so kind. I know what you mean about just wanting the loose skin gone. It has made a tremendous difference in my body perception. I could tell the difference in my tummy even with all the tape and bandages on. It wasn't until today when the bandages came off my arms, that I could get a good idea of what they looked like. I guess it has just been a shock to me.

When I was 300lbs. I would try everyday to camouflage myself. Yes, I thought a loose black shirt would disguise my weight...lol! I was just so hopeful that getting to goal and having plastics would end this particular struggle.

But, I am realizing the battle will go on. Whether it be in the form of body image struggles, keeping the weight off in maintenance, etc...I am going to try to learn to embrace these scars. Yes, It is a hard won fight for all of us in one way or another.

Thank you @@superbariatricbabe for the beautiful article on Padma Lakshmi. I had never seen her before. I love her quote "my body is a blueprint of my life." Wow, very powerful

Yes, @@sarsar this is such an emotional journey. I feel like you were in my head regarding hesitancy to even post this. Because I am so grateful for this opportunity! Oh my gosh, we can all relate to the psychological effects of excess skin! What a blessing to have that gone.

I am just trying to adjust to the new me.

Many thanks to all of you for the kind and encouraging words.