Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting cold feet about my surgery on Tuesday!

I'm starting to get scared about my surgery on Tuesday Aug 19th! I'm starting to wonder if I should go through with it or not. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just try to lose weight again on my own. I was at my surgery refresher consultation today and the nurse said that if I ever eat more than a half cup of food that I'll stretch my sleeve. Even at the year post surgery mark! I thought about the holidays and if we served a traditional thanksgiving dinner then a half cup wouldn't even 1 bite of each dish. I actually scooped my lean cuisine meal into a half cup measuring cup tonight and it wasn't even half of a lean cuisine!

My question to all of you who have been successful is: How much can you eat at a time without feeling stuffed? And how far out are you from surgery?

One thing I know from friends that have had the sleeve done is that they didn't crave any foods, anymore. 1/2 a cup was just fine for them. (Hard to imagine, right?) At Thanksgiving you will enjoy the company and conversation and not even give it a second thought that you tasted a 1/2 a bite of 4-5 things from the spread! Don't back out! You can do hard things! We all can. "Sexy-Thinthoughts" is just waiting to burst out of you! You go girl!!!

I'm only 6 weeks out and I can eat a bit more than half a cup now probably 3/4 cup if it's solid food.

I think you should ask yourself why would you want to have this surgery in the first place.

The sleeve is for controling the quantity of the food, and if you're really not ready to cooperate with your tiny pouch later, you will probably suffer or regret it.

And it's not revisable!

I'm eight weeks out. A half cup is more than enough for me. My dietician and surgeon are telling me that one cup per meal will ultimately be the most I will eat, down the road.

By the way, I have no regrets except for wishing I had done this a long time ago. Best to you, whatever you decide.

I think it's completely normal to get cold feet! Even sitting in pre-op with my IV in I was thinking "I could still back out if it wanted to!" I am sooooooooooo happy I didn't! I'm almost 3 weeks post op now, and loving my new life! I can eat 1/4 to 1/3 cup, depending on what I'm eating. I'm still on puréed foods until next week, but denser foods like Beans I can only eat 1/4 cup (if that), but thinner stuff like yogurt I can tolerate a little more. As for cravings and not being able to eat more, I'm good there. I think with the reduction in ghrelin and new mindset, I have no desire to eat large amounts of food, even stuff I used to binge on! I'm looking forward to eating some of my old favorites (pizza being most) but I'm ok if I'm satisfied on only half a slice! :) I'm really excited to even try some healthier versions of my favorites...cauliflower Pizza Crust for one! I can't tell you how happy i am I did this for myself! I finally have the tool that is going to help me reach my goal and live a healthier, happier life!

You will be fine! I am almost 1 yr out and can eat about a cup of food depending on what it is. I sort of long for the days when 2 oz filled me up! I look and feel so much better that I want to sing praises of my surgery from the roof tops so that everyone realizes that they too can be free from the discomforts of obesity!!! My only regret is that I waited until I was nearly 50 to get this done...always thinking that I could loose the weight....I could not loose the weight however and I am soooo glad that I went through with it.

The quantity that you eat is of no consequence because the desire to have more disappears with the feeling of satisfaction. It is more wonderful than you could ever imagine with out yet having experienced it!

You will be fine! I am almost 1 yr out and can eat about a cup of food depending on what it is. I sort of long for the days when 2 oz filled me up! I look and feel so much better that I want to sing praises of my surgery from the roof tops so that everyone realizes that they too can be free from the discomforts of obesity!!! My only regret is that I waited until I was nearly 50 to get this done...always thinking that I could loose the weight....I could not loose the weight however and I am soooo glad that I went through with it. <br><br> The quantity that you eat is of no consequence because the desire to have more disappears with the feeling of satisfaction. It is more wonderful than you could ever imagine with out yet having experienced it!

Thank you Doodle Girl! I too have tried all my life to lose weight. I have lost hundreds of pounds over my lifetime and have gained it all back and then some. I know how great it feels to be on the losing streak but I have always been so hungry on the journey that I could only hold on for so long without bingeing it all back on again. I guess it's just so hard to imagine feeling full on a half cup of food that it's hard to wrap my brain around. My surgery is in 4 days and my emotions are in overdrive. Thanks for your support!

Honest to God! I have no idea where some of this so-called "medical advice" comes from.

And people who answer this question who are 6 weeks, 3 months out don't know how much they'll be able to eat in 1, 2, 3 or more years out.

I believe that the sleeve patients would like to know what they are going through after sugery since day one, week one, 3 week, 6 weeks until a few years post-op, that's why we all are here.

Just hope that my 6 weeks "experience" would help her to get some ideas even it's not yet a life time experience which other members with more experience may answer her question later, why don't you try?

My biggest concern prior to surgery was that I would be in a constant state of low blood sugar like I would have eating these quantities prior to the sleeve. I am ecstatic to report that I have not ONCE had low blood sugar since surgery! Why? I have no idea but I have not once had any problems. I can ride my bike 20 miles with only a Protein shake in my system and never have my blood sugar drop causing terrible over eating. Blood sugar problems are totally gone for me and I can do anything I want with out panicking about always carrying a 'rescue' snack around with me! I no longer 'suffer' for being hungary…not that I don't feel hunger but there is no way to adequately describe how satisfying a cup of food can be until you actually experience it, the joy of it is profound! Try to displace worry of the unknown with excitement of what is to come…it is truly an exciting experience (even if complications occur!)

You will be fine…I will be praying for you and for that peace that passes understanding.

I'm just two and a half weeks out and I can say it's different. Tough to wrap your head around the fact that a half of a cup will fill you but it really does right now. Honestly you have to want it. The best advice I can give is do it if you're ready. It's kind of like quitting smoking. You're only going to be successful if you want it. My toughest part was the Protein Shakes. I could care less if I ever have another but I got through it. Now the puréed stage is heaven. I had a cheeseburger and fries puréed last night, should last me four meals. It tastes just like it would at the restaurant just puréed. Tough to explain how great one feels knowing that you're getting healthier every passing day. It's been a long time since I've felt this good.

Will you let us know what you decide?

My biggest concern prior to surgery was that I would be in a constant state of low blood sugar like I would have eating these quantities prior to the sleeve. I am ecstatic to report that I have not ONCE had low blood sugar since surgery! Why? I have no idea but I have not once had any problems. I can ride my bike 20 miles with only a Protein shake in my system and never have my blood sugar drop causing terrible over eating. Blood sugar problems are totally gone for me and I can do anything I want with out panicking about always carrying a 'rescue' snack around with me! I no longer 'suffer' for being hungary…not that I don't feel hunger but there is no way to adequately describe how satisfying a cup of food can be until you actually experience it, the joy of it is profound! Try to displace worry of the unknown with excitement of what is to come…it is truly an exciting experience (even if complications occur!)

You will be fine…I will be praying for you and for that peace that passes understanding.

I appreciate your comments. I am having the same concerns (surgery in 3 weeks though). Can't imagine exercising without having eaten much of anything! Can't imagine that amount of food giving me enough energy to do anything! I have that "panicking" you are talking about but its so helpful to know that I will have enough food to keep me going. Thank you!!!!

I have been all over the internet researching both success stories and regrets, have read about countless simple surgery experiences and just as many complications! I want this so much but I am still really scared. When I think about the seamless surgeries and post op recovery that people have had, I feel gung-ho but when I think that I COULD be one of the 10% who have complications, then I get worried. I have scheduled only one week off work and when I hear about people going back to the ER several times or being hospitalized, it scares me.

Also, it seems like those who've had the surgery are thinking, planning, and strategizing constantly over eating and drinking. That's how I have been for as long as I can remember! I was hoping that surgery would help to QUIET the voice in my head that agonizes over food. Is this constant fretting over liquid intake and Protein consumption just in the beginning or will I have to count and weigh and measure and stress about it forever? Will it ever feel normal and natural.