Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does anyone else feel that nothing else matters?

all i can think about is getting my sleeve.

all i want to do is read and write on the forums.

the only things in my calendar that mean anything to me are the appointments for my pre-op tests... everything else is a waste of my time.

is my obsession unusual? i'm finding myself less than engaged at work, which is a first. i usually forget everything else while i'm at the office, i've always been very good at compartmentalizing. i resent the time spent doing anything that does not lead toward my surgery.

can you relate?

Yes, this has REALLY been bothering me lately. I can't think of anything else. I even dream about it at night. I want to live my REAL LIFE! I hate that I can't think about or talk about anything else. My work is suffering, my relationship is suffering, it is NOT healthy! I've even thought to myself several times that maybe I should just cancel it altogether, so I can get back to being functional. But, I'm hoping that a few weeks after the surgery is done (on Sept. 1), I can start thinking about other things again. Maybe?

Totally.

In a way it's a good thing, I think. But long term "we" need to be able to stick with this kind of commitment. Maybe not the same level of um...obsession, but totally committed to what it's about.

It's been hard not to only be about the surgery around anyone that knows. Trying to have a normal life around family, while my thoughts are else where. It will become normal, i'm sure.

for me, a lot of the problem with this obsession is that i've told very few people that i'm having wls. all they know is that i'm getting flaky lol. i mean, i AM a bit flaky, but not at work! :) now i do things like take full days off to go to a doctor appt, and take a lot of days off just cause i don't feel like going in.

Omg, I thought it was just me...

I feel like everything is in hold, I can think of nothing else, I'm reading on this forum and online alllllll the timeeeeee.

I should be finding out on Friday or Saturday if they approve my appeal. I'm like, sick to my stomach. I don't want to go anywhere, I don't want to do anything. I don't think about ANYTHING...but the sleeve. I've been watching my 600lb life. Watching the surgeries and forcing my husband to watch and even pausing the tv to say "look that will be me with all those thingys hanging out of my belly!!"

I feel like my life is on hold. I never felt like this before even when dieting and working out previously.

A friend I started this journey with had her sleeve this past Monday. I haven't spoken with her yet but I am stalking her husband for updates. I've just been pretty down waiting to hear back!!

At least now I know I'm not alone. Thank u for posting! :)

I can totally relate, that's how I was months before my WLS! I was super focused, super excited and I looked forward to it like looking forward to an important event. The day of the WLS I wasn't nervous at all, I was excited and could not wait to get it done and looked forward to my future with happiness and anticipation. Well, now 3 and a half months out, 50 lbs LESS I know why I was so excited, because it IS! I love my new me, my new outlook in life, my new energy and not to mention new much small sizes in clothing (I went from a size 22 down now to a size 14)~~!!!

This forum is amazingly helpful and incredibly informative so keep on it, read more and more and stay away from the few negative ones -- stay positive and go for it! It's amazing and you're going to feel terrific and look gorgeous!

I've already talked two friends into WLS and they say I should be a spokesperson for it lol, I love it! Good Luck!!

Too funny - I've just been thinking about this issue this week. I'm about 2 months out and still obsessed! I was trying to stick to a rule of not logging onto this site at work, but it's been slow this week and I've been checking all the time. Just yesterday I was asking myself what I'm (really) looking for, and couldn't really answer that.

Especially since I failed with the lap band I just have such anxiety about what this surgery will mean for me longterm. I've also been stalled for a week and a half (time of month, but still) so my anxiety is heightened. I think coming on here and seeing others' successes and frustrations just makes me feel more hopeful that I'll get past the bumps and find success too.

This is a life-changing surgery. But in most of my life everything is kind of normal, or at least I act as though it is. It's nice to immerse myself here where everyone is talking about the same topic.

When I was pre-op I yearned to just stay home and read this site all day long! It's gotten easier since then for me to focus at work, but still not back to normal. But we deserve to focus on ourselves for a bit!

I totally relate!! I was that way, obsessed with getting an actual surgery date. Getting upset that the surgeons office was taking so long for what I thought were simple things! But I am happy to say I am officially on my way, only 48 hrs and hopefully I will be in recovery!! My surgery is Friday morning, my surgeon only procedures in the AM so hopefully this time Friday I will be thru it all. Its hard to be patient when you just want to get onto the new chapter of your life!!

Now I get to obsess over getting my car fixed as I was a victim of the Michigan floods!! Glad I won't need a car next week!

Good luck with your journey!

This is important. Researching and deciding on WLS. For me, it is more than important, it is huge. Maybe the biggest thing I've every done.

Of course nothing else matters (as much).

And look at all the support here!! The insights. The tips. The encouragement.

Stay focussed, don't neglect the rest of your life.

Totally!!!!!!!…. hell thats what am doing right now…and am at work..

I only had to wait 2 weeks from first appt to surgery. I knew I wanted to do this but $ was low. Came in to some $ and said I'm doing it before I spend it.

I pushed for every appt and got the soonest available. Obsessed for 2 weeks. I would have been going crazy.

Thank God I didn't actually have to wait for insurance.

1 week post-op and I am still learning al I can but no where near as obsessed as in pre-op.

I go into work like right now…lols….talking to my boss and am on line…did not know there was anything other than being consume by my surgery….lols..

all i can think about is getting my sleeve. all i want to do is read and write on the forums. the only things in my calendar that mean anything to me are the appointments for my pre-op tests... everything else is a waste of my time. is my obsession unusual? i'm finding myself less than engaged at work, which is a first. i usually forget everything else while i'm at the office, i've always been very good at compartmentalizing. i resent the time spent doing anything that does not lead toward my surgery. can you relate?

Omg I'm so glad to read I'm not the only one who has become obsessed. Its all I've been able to think about. My poor husband has been bombarded with the tv shows, the before/after photos, having to hear snipets of other peoples posts etc.. He says I'm addicted to this site (jokingly) and he's right. The first thing I do in the morning is grab for my phone to read the newest posts. Sometimes I even wake up in the middle of the night!! At work i used to constantly research and read the forums and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get my concentration to focus back on my work. That's better now since I got a new manager who needs my help a lot. I don't have time to indulge my obsession all day, but I do sneak into the bathroom and read a few posts periodically through the day.

I just hope I keep this obsession after I get the surgery!!!

Once I decided to do my surgery I became obsessed with completing the battery of pre testing assigned to me. I took no prisoners along the way. After meeting with the surgeon I promptly completed two diagnostic test then took myself to Spain for a 10 day vacation. But not before scheduling all my pre testing appts. If one doctor's office or diagnostic center did not have a date I decided I wanted I moved on to the next. My surgeon gave a list of doctors to use. When the psychiatrist on the list couldn't see me until

almost three weeks, I promptly c alled my insurance

company and requested a list. They emailed me 250

doctors in my general area and two days later I had

completed my psychological eval. Getting a surgery date was all I could think about and I put the two possible dates I wanted on my calendar. Yes, I got one of them.

When I was not running around town completing appts and test I spent the rest of the time obsessively reading post on this site.

all i can think about is getting my sleeve.

@@jessiquoi

prior to WLS (sleeve) i was so anxious, read here on the board ALL the time

dreamed about what my new life will eventually be like - how much more i would be able to do

last but not least - excited about improving health issues :)

some/many of us soon to be sleevers feel the same way

2.5 years PO - GOAL

i still find myself "obsessing" about things relating to my new and wonderful sleeve :)

in my case, i still think sooooo much about eating right, what i'm eating - stuff like that

its all good :)

but as far as work goes.............its ok to "sometimes" think about being sleeved

but not so much that you get fired :o

then no one will appreciate the new you, and your new "smaller" clothes :)

you are on the right road to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

good luck with surgery :)

speedy recovery :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy