Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight is stuck!

Hi all, love some honest confessions here and can so so relate to it. You all seem to be ahead n your weight loss journey than me! Just wondering how many experienced a stalling of the weight atbthree weeks. Well I lost about 22 lbs in three weeks but almost no weight after that and its been a month today! Is this normal?? Any suggestions about what can I do about it!! I am strictly following my recommended Protein intake and working out in the form of brisk walking say about 50 minutes four times a week. The day I don't work out I switch the fitness blender low impact videos!! Do I need to check on anything?

Help me pleeeez as this is very frustrating!!

Edited by chhavi06

Fear-Not making it through the educational program the Nut has instituted before surgery. Other fears post-op I try not to think about until insurance approves a date.

I am struggling with staying on plan. There are days I do just fine with 10 grams or more Protein per meal, and under 10 grams each of sugar and fat per meal. But others I am still feeling hungry and wanting to eat more. I'm sure it is a head game, but is this normal? Especially before my cycle, I couldn't keep meals under the fat and sugar content (aversion roughly 15 grams each). I eat a lot of Greek yogurt so my Protein can be above 80 sometimes when I have pork or chicken in the same day.

Meeting with the Nut after one month next week. I had two bad days over Christmas and regained what I lost so focusing hard this week to get back on track. I hear after surgery you aren't hungry so I am hoping this is normal and just the hormone aspect of hunger that is gone after the sleeve?

I also REALLY struggle with slowing down. Taking 10 minutes to eat a yogurt is really slow-but the longest I've taken for a meal is 30 minutes. And I was forcing myself to do that-not sure why that is so hard.

My biggest fear is that people will treat me different. I work with a lot of gastric sleeve/ bypass women and they have kind of walked me through the process. I have found that the only people that have treated our recent batch of sleevers different were NO counts. Meaning their opinion never counted and never would. If you are around mature people they won't give you grief ... Only the jealous types will, and they would be jealous over you wearing a new pair of shoes or carrying a new purse. My attitude about this is I am having WLS , I double dare you to say something to my face.

I'm afraid that if I DONT do the surgery I'll end up leaving my kids motherless from dying of obesity. I'm afraid that if I DONT do the surgery my heart will explode or I'll have a stroke from high blood pressure. I'm afraid after the surgery that this "Kid Apron" the fat that hangs won't go away....that's all

I'm afraid of complications making my life a living hell and me regretting the surgery. I'm afraid of not losing all the weight and actually I'm even more afraid of gaining weight! I've yo-yo dieted since I was about 16 so I can't imagine a "permanent" weight solution. I can lose weight infact I've gotten down to pretty healthy weights albeit by starving myself and being anorexic. Maintenance is the scary beast! The older I get the harder it is to lose the weight and each time I gain more than I lost.

I'm also very fearful of diabetes, heart failure and other co morbidities that I know I will develop as I age.

Gah! Wish I never had to deal with this obesity nonsense, is sucks!

I'm afraid that I won't stop eating. I'm afraid I'll die on the operating table. I have several health issues ( like many people here do) and I'll just never wake up. I have a thirteen year old daughter that needs me. Very scared!

Edited by ACV

I had alot of fear - of the surgery itself but I knew that was just my medical procedure phobia.

My real fear was that I would fail again. My secondary fear was that I would have unbeatable side effects (like I did with lapband) and have no means of fixing them.

Luckily, like most people, none of my fears came true. I am maintaining at half my former size and 4 years later still very pleased!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BariatricPal

I'm afraid that I won't stop eating. I'm afraid I'll die on the operating table. I have several health issues ( like many people here do) and I'll just never wake up. I have a thirteen year old daughter that needs me. Very scared!

I had a lot of fears, but I ended up losing 100lbs in 6 months without being hungry. Getting over my fears was well worth it. Just think about seeing your 13 year old graduate college and get married and you are healthy and a help to them instead of a burden because of your medical problems getting worse because 10 -20 years from now you are just more obese and sicker.

I have some of the same fears other have shared...like having a major surgery when I have two littles at home and gaining the weight back. Probably one of biggest fears is not being able to work out at the level I do now. I run, I lift, I row, all at a high intensity and it's as much for mental health as it is for physical. It makes me nervous that I won't have that outlet for a while. And when I can get back at it, will I have lost a lot of my muscle? I know I will be happier, but there are a lot of what ifs right now running through my head.

Fears - I've got some! (I've just had my initial consult too so I've got a few months of obsessing over these fears - yeah! ;)

Mainly: the SURGERY. I've never had surgery before, other than wisdom teeth. I'm freaked out that they are going to make these incisions in my stomach, that I'll have scars (and have no idea how well they'll heal), that some other complication will arise, that I'll feel weird that after 33 year of no knives being stuck into this body, it's going to get all cut up and I'm getting rid of a perfectly good stomach just because I can't cool it on the eating. It's like I like the idea of what the surgery *does* but not that I have to have *surgery* to have that. Make sense? I'm a ball of up and down emotions about it.

I totally talk myself out of it one morning, then by the afternoon I think it sounds good. I try to tell myself that FINALLY being under 200 lbs for the first time in 10 years will be all worth it. That buying clothes and working out will be more fruitful ( I love Body Pump but I feel like all this muscle is just hidden under years of fat). My mom is very supportive (almost TOO supportive - she doesn't understand why I wouldn't be willing to crawl through broken glass just for the chance to be thinner again) and my husband is supportive, though he doesn't understand my surgery phobia. So there - my fears!

guys i have had many of the same fears you all have had i am still preop but i am working with a therapist right now and she is amazing. if your even considering going down this road get a therapist you will need one they can help you sort out your relationship with food people and your self to some extent and help you through the greviving process you will go through when your post op

I don't really have fears per say, to be honest I genuinely excited because I can't wait to meet the new me. I am nervous about how I will look smaller but that is because I have never been small. I been chunky all my life.

I have a daughter who is chubby and I thought when she was younger I hope that she didn't end up a big girl like me cause it takes hella confidence to pull it off. Most times you are faking it till you make it. Anyway I plant to use this opportunity for both of us. Plus I have a list of things I want to do when the weight comes off. So I am just looking forward to all the possibilities.

One day at a time

I'm afraid of complications making my life a living hell and me regretting the surgery. I'm afraid of not losing all the weight and actually I'm even more afraid of gaining weight! I've yo-yo dieted since I was about 16 so I can't imagine a "permanent" weight solution. I can lose weight infact I've gotten down to pretty healthy weights albeit by starving myself and being anorexic. Maintenance is the scary beast! The older I get the harder it is to lose the weight and each time I gain more than I lost.

I'm also very fearful of diabetes, heart failure and other co morbidities that I know I will develop as I age.

Gah! Wish I never had to deal with this obesity nonsense, is sucks!

Me too!! All of this!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I'm uneasy about the fact that there will be metal staples in my body. I'm afraid that my family won't support me when they find out what I've done. I haven't told anyone but my children and husband. I'm afraid of my sisters feelings. She is morbidly morbidly obese and often cries and talks to me about her weight.

I feel the same way when it comes to my family, but many sister and brother got the "skinny genes" agoso they have no idea what or feels like to be overweight. A personal question...instead of fearing what your sister will say, have you considered talking to her about going on this journey with you? Losing weight together might be a wonderful bond for the two of you to share.

I admire all of you for being so honest on your fears. I had plenty of the myself but also did not allow myself months to think about it. I had vsg on Oct 15, 2014. So a little over 4 months ago. I was never worried about the surgery or recovery itself. Which for me, was a breeze. I went back to work also 5 days later with very little pain. My biggest fears were a lot like Lexi. I was worried about my relationship with food. How sad that I can't eat everything on my plate anymore? That's how I felt. And trust me, I went overboard having my last meal! I gained 8 pounds in like 2 weeks. That's scary! And honestly, I was a bit depressed for the 1st month after surgery. I was losing weight quickly but the diet was hard after. Well I take that back...you have no true appetite. It was my head hunger that got me. I almost mourned my relationship with food. But once I got my energy back and lost that first 30 pounds.... my life changed forever. I still have people look at me and make comments about how sad that I can't eat more than that or that I really don't desire any food anymore, but honestly I am fine with it! I am not sorry one bit! 4 months out and 80 pounds down makes it so worth it.

One of our biggest reasons for me getting the surgery was to have children. We have been trying for 6 years, went through fertility treatments and nothing. Neither one of us have anything wrong, besides PCOS, to not be able to conceive. After a lot of talking it was suggested that possibly losing weight will help. So my biggest fear at this time is that, yes I am getting healthier, but what if I still can't get pregnant? That is devastating to me.

But all we can do is keep on taking care of ourselves!!

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App