Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breast Augmentation with cancer history in the family?

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have both grandma and aunt with breast cancer. My breasts are pathetic after my weight loss. I really want to have them repaired but everything I read speaks against augmentation.

Bronco, have you had the BRCA test to see if you have the breast cancer gene? I would suggest you do that first. Ask your Dr. With your family history I am surprised if you have not had the test. Then if you are positive you could think about prophelactic surgery, like Angelina Joli. Where your breast tissue,or what little is left of it, is removed and implants are inserted. Sounds radical, I know, but talk with your DR about it. If you are negative ask your Dr what are your increased chances of breast cancer with implant. Just the humble opinion of an old RN.

Bronco, have you had the BRCA test to see if you have the breast cancer gene? I would suggest you do that first. Ask your Dr. With your family history I am surprised if you have not had the test. Then if you are positive you could think about prophelactic surgery, like Angelina Joli. Where your breast tissue,or what little is left of it, is removed and implants are inserted. Sounds radical, I know, but talk with your DR about it. If you are negative ask your Dr what are your increased chances of breast cancer with implant. Just the humble opinion of an old RN.

My friend did this. Every female in her family had breast cancer so she was at high risk for it also. If I remember right, her insurance paid for it due to her high risk. Talk to your doctor...

After you have the test and decide if you want them just make sure they put them under the muscle. This is the best way to still be able to see your mammogram. It doesn't interfere with the actual breast tissue. I'm a nurse at a plastic surgery center. Pm me if you have anymore questions I can help with.

I'm at high risk for breast cancer.. 2 of my sisters have had it, one twice, my grandmother, great grandmother etc. neg. for the brca gene. I get a mamo every year along with an ultrasound.. I was told getting implants under muscle won't effect mamo they just take more slides.. And if all else fails they can do an MRI !!

Can't say I know alot about it, but my Mother has had breast cancer twice (once on each side) I have had breast augmentation (reduction) and nobody ever said anything to me about anything bad.

I have mammograms every year as she counts as two people in the family as she has had it twice in different breasts. So the family history people said I get mammograms every year until I am 50 or something. After I had the reduction the skin removed etc was sent off for testing and came back clear.

As said above I would say have the test for the BRCA gene. We asked about that over here and they said no to the test as we have no other family members (Not that that is true - We just have no contact with my mothers sister in many years, so are unable to ask etc)

I believe you can only make an informed decision on this when you have gone through the gene thing, at the time of my surgery my Mum had only had it once, so we did not know it would come back for a second go......

Good luck <3

I can give you from person experience on reduction. I had it done due to other medical reason, my on/gyn actually recommended that I have it done. I LOVE IT! It has been four years since I had it done. I did have complication but not due to the surgery, I developed a very highly allergic reaction to anything with adhesive.

My insurance will pay fro reduction and lift but not augmentation. I am still an F cup right now but once the skin is gone and they are lifted I am scared of the results! I am also very nervous about the cancer situation in the family. My aunt just finished her treatment a few months ago and is currently cancer free. I go for my mammogram every year like clockwork.

Usually if insurance will pay for a reduction and lift if you want implants MOST plastic surgeons just make you pay for the implants themselves. My implants for the implants only were $1900. I got the new cohesive gel that have a 20 year guarantee (gummy bear) because my surgeon said they last longer they don't leak, they retain there shape even if they rupture and they are less likely to ripple. And being very thin and petite with no breast tissue before surgery that was the best option for me. They were also placed under the muscle so I can still have mammograms yearly. I have a very high chance of breast cancer in my family so that was important as well. They just have to take more images and you need to let them know before your mammogram

I've nevet understood implants under the muscle. Real boob sit on top of the muscle.???

From what I understand implants under the muscle hide the implant so to speak. For people like me who don't have any breast tissue or breast "fat" left an only have skin on top of muscle... If they were to put the implant on top of the muscle you would see the implant and you would see rippling and what not, so they put it under the muscle to try to mask or hide the implant so you hopefully won't see any rippling or anything.

Boobs on bottom. I have always hated the cleavage ridge on implants. I had a skinny friend have them under. She had a much softer cleavage.