Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved a week ago. Feel no different?

Hi Everyone. I am new to this forum. First time poster..... I had sleeve surgery on August 4th and I am worried because I really don't feel any different. I have been sticking to my liquid diet of Protein Shakes and sugar free drinks, but I never get the feeling of fullness. I thought with the pouch being so small, I would barely be able to drink what I am required to. I am worried that when I go to more solid foods that I still won't feel different and will overeat. Anyone else have a similar experience? Am I being paranoid? I have lost weight this week....about 4-5 lbs which puts me at about a 16lb. total loss since 2 weeks before the surgery. Any advice is welcome.

Hi Violin,

Don't worry, I had the same exact fears and through research found everyone saying - your restrictive tummy does not kick in until you go back to actually eating foods. Our stomach is basically a funnel for the fluids were are putting in it right now. As such, everything moves very rapidly through us that is not solid, Protein shakes included. Keep in mind you need to take your prescribed antacid because stomach acid mimics hunger, if you weren't prescribed one I suggest getting pepcid chewables.

Good luck, I know we are both looking forward to that full feeling.

Totally normal. You will not ever get full on liquids....maybe not even puréeds. They flow right through your sleeve. Besides, your tummy is swollen and numb, so you have even less feeling in there. Just keep following your surgeon's plan...including PPI's/antacids.

Thanks, guys. It helps to know that this is normal. Looking forward to that full feeling after eating very little!

BTW: Congrats to both of you for your successful weight losses!

Reading this was a relief for me! I was sleeved on Aug. 11th and suddenly all cold liquids are just flowing right on down. I can drink a 16 oz cold beverage almost normal, no guzzling or anything like that but it still freaked me out. Just a few days ago I was struggling to sip!

Ishlaud,

I am just beginning my 3rd week post op. Thought you'd like to know that I am beginning to feel different now. Started pureed foods and am finding that I do get the fullness feeling. I am really having to be careful and take small bites slowly or I get uncomfortable. So, I don't think I had anything to worry about and neither do you. Congrats on your progress so far! Hope this helped.

Yay, that's encouraging to hear. I can't wait for pureed stage!

Liquids you wont feel unless your drink it in big gulps and fast. food you will feel instantly. Im 7 weeks out and I prefer liquids over food now. I miss bread, but its so heavy I dont.

good question and even better answers... seems like everything will fall into place as you progress. good luck. keep us posted

Switching to more dense foods makes a big difference. I have to say this did not happen to me, I could barely sip my beverages those early days, today I am about 9 weeks out and it still takes me about 2 hours to drink my Protein shakes. I can drink Water and iced tea at a quicker rate but nothing like before surgery. If I try to drink my Water with big sips it hurts just under my sternum, it is my stomach saying "Too Fast!!", solid food is another story, chicken breast is really dense and I can only eat about 2 to 3 tablespoons, ground beef in Tomato sauce or tuna in mayo is much easier, I can eat around 1/3 to 1/2 cup. I can eat 6 ounces of Greek yogurt, it is filling, but I can eat it in about 15 mins.

Hang in there, if you are really worried talk to your Doctor. I have a picture of my new stomach because my Dr did an x-ray leak test on Day 2, maybe your Dr can show you your sleeve too. ..

Edited by SnohoGal98296

This is a very interesting topic. I have my surgery on the 19th, so any information I can gather is very important right now. Can you guys add veggies to your shakes. I was thinking if including spinach and maybe half of a banana to my shake to get natural nutrients. It will also help my digestive system. I very worried about that. I think I will start with just a few leaves, cause I'm scared I will hurt myself. But I do know that additional veggies help to make you full with Protein Shakes.< /p>

This is a very interesting topic. I have my surgery on the 19th, so any information I can gather is very important right now. Can you guys add veggies to your shakes. I was thinking if including spinach and maybe half of a banana to my shake to get natural nutrients. It will also help my digestive system. I very worried about that. I think I will start with just a few leaves, cause I'm scared I will hurt myself. But I do know that additional veggies help to make you full with Protein shakes.< /p>

That's a question for your surgeon. Your stomach will be very swollen and irritated and not be functioning normally while it heals. The postop food transitions take into account both texture and Digestibility of the food. Don't do anything off plan without consulting with your surgeon.

As for nutrients, I've always taken whole food based Vitamins rather than chemically synthesized ones. Source of Life Gold and Garden of Life Vitamin Ćode are both good ones....loaded with plenty of fruits, veggies, seeds, Probiotics, cofactors and digestive enzymes.

That's a question for your surgeon. Your stomach will be very swollen and irritated and not be functioning normally while it heals. The postop food transitions take into account both texture and Digestibility of the food. Don't do anything off plan without consulting with your surgeon.

As for nutrients, I've always taken whole food based Vitamins rather than chemically synthesized ones. Source of Life Gold and Garden of Life Vitamin Ćode are both good ones....loaded with plenty of fruits, veggies, seeds, Probiotics, cofactors and digestive enzymes.

Thanks, and you are so right. I definitely don't want to do something before I am approved to do so. The vitimans you mentioned how long did you wait before you were able to take them?

I was taking Source of Life Gold chewables at the time of surgery ( had been, even long before surgery). I started taking them 4 days postop as per my surgeons's instructions. I was on Clear Liquids only first 3 days. The problem was everything tasted too sweet to me after surgery, including the chewable vitamins. I still took them, but I switched to Garden of Life Vitamin Code once the chewables were gone because they came in capsules, so no taste. I only take 1/2 the recommended daily dose of the multi plus a Vitamin D3 5000iu gel cap and B12 500mcg sublingual 3 days a week. I stopped talking the recommended Calcium and Iron supplements because my 6 month labs showed those levels were high. Everything else was perfect. I will, of course recheck bloodwork at 1 year post and make adjustments if necessary.

Edited by Kindle

Thanks so much for your feedback. Where did you find your Vitamins? I was thinking of going to the Vitiman Shoppe.