Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I have another question....

I'm almost 3 months post op from having sleeve surgery and am dealing with feeling sick when I eat BUT I'm noticing that at night I am getting seriously hungry. Normally I'm not but since the surgery, and after I was feeling better, I get hungry. I might have some melbas and cheese but that doesn't seem to be enough Protein or something to keep the pangs away, and they really get to hurting. I'm alreaady dealing with feeling sick after a very few bites at meal time and I have to walk it off or go outside walk around but this seems to be the opposite, until I take a bite of something....I'm really getting frustrated.... I'm paranoid about stretching my stomach and I'm sick if I eat, then sick-ish if I don't eat....AAAAaaaaaa!!!! (yelling loudly) I see my doc next month but damn what am I doing wrong? Has anyone else dealt with this crap????

Thanks in advance- :unsure:

kim

I don't know if your sleeve sensations relate at all to my Band sensations, but I've had similar feelings at times, especially within the first couple years postOp.

I noticed a correlation of those 'sicky feelings' and the confusion of hunger/something else unpleasant. Often those would pass easily with a mere bit/nibble or a few sips of liquid.

The odd sensations from our belly, in my own case, I believe were the adaption process to not being continually stuffed with the attempts to achieve "full" status....which never worked in preOp days.

I've read considerably on the subject but do not insist my conclusion is the only one, nor in your case the right one. What I do believe, is we have to learn to ride a new kind of pony following surgery. While the experience is similar the individual ride can be considerably different from another forum member with superficially the same symptoms.

Good luck with your program and cheers in your journey.

Edited by Jack

You mean I am not the only one? Yeah, not so hungry during the day - easy to get queasy, but at night when I ought to be sleeping, that's when I want to be awake and hungry...like I am on my old third shift schedule from when I was working. I even use a sleep mask to help darken the room, but even if I go to sleep at 10pm, I will wake up an hour later and be awake most of the night. I try not to eat to the point of damage, but like last night I had 1/2 cup of yogurt with 1/4 cup of blueberries. And I keep sugar-free Jello in the fridge.

Also, I stay away from bananas anytime after lunch, and go for things like a boiled egg. I keep a few of those on hand for hunger attacks. Seems like at night I can eat the things that would make me queasy during the day. I don't get it. I track my calories and am still keeping it around 800, and am pushing myself for 100 ounces of Water and 100 grams of Protein, but still, I seem to be on an inverted schedule. It's crazy.

5 months out and still feeling like this... I haven't mentioned it to the dr yet as it goes through phases. Give it time I'm sure it will pass :) but still talk to your surgeons

Thanks you guys....You'ved eased my mind...And I'm glad I'm not alone but sorry we all have been or did feel like this....We will get better!!!! YAY!!!!! :rolleyes: B)

Are you getting the recommended amount of Protein (my nutritionist recommended 60-80 grams a day). If you can't get that with food, make up for it with Protein shakes or drinks. This also helps curb the late night snacking. When I didn't get enough Protein I was a slug, I felt really nauseous and craved everything!

Also, be mindful of the time between drinking and eating. If you're doing either too soon and not waiting (times vary by surgeon), it can make you very nauseous. I wait at least 30-60 minutes after I eat to drink. I wait at least 30 minutes after I drink to eat. And, I've learned to not overdrink at one sitting. I suffered nausea almost every day during my first month. At my check in, I was told I wasn't getting enough to eat! I had been eating 1oz of food at each sitting. Apparently, I should have been eating approx. 3oz. Hopefully you'll find your trigger soon and get some relief! Healthy regards. :)