Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

consistently sick

Hey guys, I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue.

I got banded in March 2012 & the first 18mos were fine as far as weightloss, exercise and energy. I started getting sick in Fall 2013 after a fill that took me over 5cc. They took Fluid out and I was alright for about a month or so. By February of this year I was regularly having problems holding solids and liquids down so I wasn't getting my calories in that I needed and plateaued on weightloss.

They checked my band and supposedly it wasn't tight and looked "kind of" loose. So they took fluid out and I swear it expanded from the last time (I remember the CC numbers). I was okay for about 2 weeks and it started again and it got very bad. I went a full month getting sick daily. I called for an emergency appointment but they're machine for barium swallow testing was broken so I would have to spend $400 in addition to $89 for an appointment. Since I didn't have that kind of money I just dealt with it. My scheduled appointment is next Tuesday and I am thinking they should probably just unfill the whole thing.

I've literally spent the last year getting progressively worse and now I'm eat minimally because most days nothing stays down. My insurance doesn't cover anything bariatrics related so it's all self pay and revision surgery will cost $15650.

Anyone else have the constant vomiting and saliva/stomach acid build up? I'm miserable and have no energy because nothing is staying down. I don't eat fast, I chew enough, so it's not that. But I can take 2 small bites of something and have violent vomiting within 10 minutes.

Sorry if this is graphic.

Is there a bariatric doctor involved with your issue? Your symptoms sound much to serious for just a nurse or pa?

The vomitting would really concern me.

I usually see his PA. I'm concerned because it could really cause injury :/ I haven't actually seen the doctor since my surgery.

Vomiting is NOT NORMAL. Sounds like your band may have slipped? Is there another doctor you can go see? Yours doesn't sound very helpful at all.

I'm worried it might have slipped but I won't know until today. The doctor is very pleasant and helpful. But self pay isn't cheap. My appointment is this afternoon so hopefully I'll have answers. I know I'm not leaving unless the band is unfilled though.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Please let us know what they do for you.

How are you doing? This sounds very serious -- I hope you got some answers today. Keep on this until it is resolved. Sending best wishes!

Appointment went well. They checked my band and it had not slipped thank goodness. They did a total unfill, there might be maybe 1cc if that left from the 5cc's that had been in it. They said it can happen what I went through even though it looks fine on the screen. The PA mentioned that I may be at the point where I don't need a filled band since it was hindering me from getting enough calories in to match up to my activity level with working out.

So fingers crossed my issues are gone and I can get back to the grind :)

@@MissManda85 I'm glad that you were able to see your doctor and I hope that everything works out for you and you are feeling better soon. Something you wrote in one of your posts had me very concerned and that is that not being covered for "bariatrics" was keeping you from getting the necessary medical care that you needed.

Of course I totally understand the out of pocket costs for things, and I just think that it is not fair to make someone suffer and perhaps suffer irreparable damage to their internal organs because an insurance company doesn't provide coverage.

If you have a blockage to your stomach because you swallowed golf ball and wound up in an ER they would cover the barium swallow and x-ray and MRI but because you had surgery for what is classified as a disease today, they won't cover your medical needs?! I'm sorry but that just makes me very angry, and upset to think that you or anyone who goes through these experiences is sitting there suffering and possibly causing damage to themselves because of this.

The bottom line is that if we need care we have to fight for it and get into these doctors and hospitals get treated, feel better and fight like hell against the cost of insurance company bureaucracy. If we need help we must be able to get it and not have to sit back and suffer out of fear.

OK taking a deep cleansing breath now.....as the smoke billows from my ears.

How are you feeling now? I'm going through the same thing except I'm not sick, just have no energy due to lack of nutrients. I too have all Fluid taken out 5 months ago and still having a hard time eating anything with substance. I have an appointment next week to get to the bottom of this. It's so frustrating because for a year and 1/4 I was doing fantastic, weight loss was perfect, eating was awesome, energy was excellent, I was so happy. But then after one stuck episode it all changed and now I am actually regretting this surgery. Can't eat without feeling achy in the throat and stomach. I get stuck EVERYIME I eat, which is causing back pain. I don't know how much of this I can take.

So far I've been able to eat without any issues which is so weird after being sick so long. I'm still feeling tired though :/

I have been completely unfilled for almost 3 months, and I'm having the same problems! I'm stuck all the time and have major acid reflux all the time! I have appt tomorrow to try and find out also!! I'm miserable!!!

I went to the doc yesterday and evidently you can have full restriction without having any Fluid in your band, bc that's where I'm at right now! I'm a little dialated also, but doc just told me to take it easy and to still eat Proteins first and smaller portions whether there is fluid in my band or not.