Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wishing there was a 5 year post surgery forum

So wish there was a better veterans forum. Some place that us "seasoned" bandsters (or any post WLS) could chat about years down the line. Maybe how things change in year after year of working with our post surgery body. It is a bit dismaying to have advice from others who haven't had surgery or read a book and are giving advice. We actually have lived it! Just a thought. Anyone else want to comment?

Most veterans do not stick around here very long. perhaps it is for the reasons you give.

It can be frustrating to see and hear from all the experts...then look at their profiles and see they've barley scratched the surface.

I don't claim to be an expert, nor should anyone else on this forum.......What people should do is share their experiences, what lessons they have learned about themselves good and bad....and let readers see.

When someone asks a question as to what should they do in a particular situation....just watch how many people feel it's their responsibility to play Dr. and tell others what they're doing wrong and what they should be doing.

Where is their knowledge coming from???

If it's something your Dr has instructed you to do, then say so...."My Dr. has told me if that happens, I should...."

As a veteran I will never give a direct answer to such questions. Only thing I can do is share what has happened to me in a similar situation. And if i have never experienced it myself, then I keep my mouth shut and let someone who has experienced the same thing share their story.

Forum for 5 year+ people?....be hard to find people around here to participate.

I'm for it. Nothing irritates me more than people posting in the veteran's forum that shouldn't be there! Like, as you saw, they haven't even had surgery or haven't even been out a year.

I've seen several threads like this in just the recent few months.

And given how full one's life becomes pursuing the Dream once our WLS goals are more or less attained, the motivation to post becomes decreased, IMHO.

Then again, after posting the same stories numerous times, the urge to do such decreases as well.

I'm impressed with the expansion of the site into so many other forms of WLS simply not available 10 years ago.

And of course I wonder the potential advantages vs/risk/cost of the newer Bands vs my Model T version 4cc now nearly a decade in service. People talk of 1-2-3cc fills, while mine simply will not tolerate .5cc fill, and the range of .1~.2cc is maximum fill at any one time.

I've hovered around the 1.6-1.7/4cc range much of the past 6 or 8 years. Anything higher produces marked distress.

Still, my own results while limited from what my Goal may be, remains a tribute to the fact I no longer feel on the verge of death or blindness due to various co-morbidity factors.

We see a slice of suffering humanity that seeks resolution and relief from our torment of being Morbidly Obese.

Regardless of the issues along the way, my impression is *most* of us have considerable benefits from whichever procedure we've chosen.

Cheers to us all in our jounney!

banded in 2004! Looking for experienced bandsters. I am having big problems.

Please read some forums and posts. Lots of people have had ups and downs .... There are also some "reset" ideas from some seasoned bandsters

I think This is a great site to help with ideas,sorrows, laughs and inspiration. Please let us know how you are doing.

Keep trying and reading and maybe set a dr appt?

The most common ideas here are Protein, Water, exercise and awareness from what I see posted

Best of luck

Hi and thanks! I am seeing my surgeon about 2 x a week trying to sort it out. What do you mean by 'reset'? I am happy to have found you all and look forward to learning and sharing with you veterans! I will read through more posts.

I have seen posts about starting over with 3 days of liquids. Seems to shrink pouch a bit. I don't personally know about that but please read others who discuss this. Glad you have a dr to work with

Thank you! ????

Hello, my name is Sarah. I am in my 4th year being banded. I'm happy to chat. I'm like a unicorn in my surgeon's support group, I'm the only banded person :)

Edited by Spooky Little Gurl

Hi - Nice to hear from you! How is your band performing?

Sara

I am one of 2 banders in a large group. I know what you are saying unicorn... Funny analogy

VSG is the most common WLS in our group 90%. Some bypass. Lots of good stories and nice group

Happy to hear others have the same experience

Well, I'm glad I downloaded this app. I love my support group but there are specific differences in managing the band that others can't relate with. Also, I often wonder if some of the strange band encounters I've had were normal. After skimming the posts I see that the "slime" issue isn't "weird" lol, just a gross occasional byproduct of a finicky band.

I love my band, it's been an invaluable tool in aiding me to keep weight off. I am still working on the last 40lbs. I'm down 120 and am now a certified yoga instructor.

I'm in

Jean

Join us! Tell us a story about your journey. We are pretty harmless women who seem to be thankful for the change in our lives!