Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel like my surgery "expired" at 1 year

I was sleeved in January 2013 and lost a total of 80 pounds in the first 12 months. Even lost through the holidays last year. But since I hit my 1 year mark over 6 months ago, NOTHING. I've even gained a few pounds and have to get tough to drop them back off. I don't even feel like I had surgery. And lately I'm SO hungry. Ugh!

I am sorry to hear that. I have not had my surgery yet but I do see lots of people talking about stalls or not losing anymore and it is usually suggested that you try going back to the basics. Eat like you did the first several weeks after surgery?

I am sure others will chime in. I hope you start losing again and get to whatever goal weight you are striving for.

Good luck!

You have done such a fantastic job! Only 14 pounds from your goal. At 5'6", I would think that 152 is looking really good. The weight loss does slow down and stop at some point. I even gained 22 pounds in my late second year. It took me quite a while to get it back off. I am now in maintenance, and can mostly stay in my 3 pound goal bounce range, I am about 2 pounds over that right now, my mom was sick for a while and passed on two weeks ago, and staying in focus to keep the weight off has been more than a chore at this time. I used the 5:2 method to get the 22 of. I use it to keep it off as well. I also chose a goal that was possible to keep off. Not a tiny fantasy weight... but I look good, and feel good. I keep up my new lifestyle, with exercise I like around 4 days a week, and weigh in, log my food everyday if I expect to stay on track. You are in a new non honeymoon phase. This does not mean you are a failure. You are in the pre-maintinance phase, getting ready to keep up a manageable routine the rest of your life. Do keep track of what you eat. Eat more veggies if you are hungry, drink your Water, find healthy Snacks to have around the house. Eat your Protein first. I am at 3 1/2 years out and only 2 pounds above goal range, and it took me over 2 1/2 years to get to goal in the first place! Back on the wagon girl!

Edited by feedyoureye

Hi there,

It's such a thin line between losing, maintenance, and gaining. All vets (and at one year that's what you are) struggle at some point.

If you're not logging your food and weighing yourself daily, that's my number one trick for managing my weight post-op. After a couple of days of that, I can see where to cut back to lose or stop gaining.

Making myself cut back is hard. I help myself out by getting rid of foods that aren't in my plan, especially my favorite junk foods. Give them away or throw them away. Replace them low cal treats you can enjoy guilt free. For me, that includes fat free greek yogurt with splenda and fruit, no-cal drinks such as LIption's Diet Green Tea with Citrus, and raw veggies with dip made with greek yogurt. I also measure my food to get back on track. Both to make sure I'm getting enough Protein and to control carb creep (1 oz. of crackers creeps up to 2, then 3 ounces if I don't).

And I give myself no calorie treats for success, like a new lipstick, lotion, book, puzzle, or even a pay per view movie. It's just a little splurge, but it picks me up.

Also, I eat less if I track my fluids and make sure I'm getting 64 oz. per day.

At this point, to stave off hunger, it pretty much has to be Protein. Nothing else hits the spot the same way. Are you getting enough protein? I aim for 2-4 ounces per meal. Another thing that can masquerade as hunger is stomach acid. You might try taking prilosec and see if it makes a difference.

Bottom line, most everyone is working it to continue losing or to stay at goal after one year. Hang out here and commiserate with the rest of your people :-)

Lynda

It's not easy but I think a main success factor is facing that the surgery gets you "launched" but doesn't do the work for you. In the beginning it does and over time it becomes pretty much 100 our choices that do the work.

The best way to regain feeling of restriction is to go back to all the sleeve basics including tiny portions. In a few days you are likely to feel restriction again.

I too have the same feeling that you do at this time. My surgery was May 2013 and this month is the first month that I tracked a weight gain. I seem to bounce between 150 and 155. Today I am 152.

I have tried the tips already mentioned (tracking food and Water, cutting out the "junk" and getting Protein first.) I find that I can get 50-60 gm of Protein a day. I manage to take in about 72 oz of Water.< /p>

I have decided that 150-155 is an ok weight for now. I am wearing a size 8 (which is a size I have never worn as an adult) I am staying positive that the last 25 lbs will come off with time if I stay on track. If I stay this weight for a while, my body must need the break from weight loss. I am hoping that my skin will tighten up while I am working off the last few pounds. I do not look at this as a failed surgery because I am 115 lbs lighter than when I had the surgery.

In my book..size 8 for a formerly obese is a MAJOR success. I know plenty of ladies who would love to wear that size!

I know what you mean about feeling like it expired. I find myself wishing I could get a tune up. I want that great feeling of steady loss, never being hungry, being impressed with myself by how little I want to eat and how little I do eat. But that's not reality, and as Jane said, it's all us at this stage. I do have enough restriction to stop me from going crazy if I feel myself getting out of control, but it's up to me to pay attention to it. I mostly do, and I'm always so thankful that I wasn't able to do much damage.

I also have been stuck at this weight for months. I'm thinking about revising my goal. I'm just going to see how it goes, but I'm in a size 10 - a size I've never been. I'm thrilled with being normal, and I struggle between wanting to get to 140 pounds, and just being happy with what I've achieved. I'm not sure the number on the scale is worth the fight, and we each have to decide that for ourselves. I also think sometimes our bodies tell us where we should be. As long as it's healthy, it should be OK, too.

@@Success2013 you can do this if you want. I suggest logging, weighing yourself, and generally going back to basics. You know what to do - just take it a day at a time, and do the best you can!

Edited by MichiganChic

Michiganchic - when I got to a size 10 I considered myself "at goal" For me that was at 158#. I stayed there for quite a while before I took on losing a few more vanity pounds. Notice that I don't revise my goal weight because I am STILL happy to have made my goal of 158. A major major major accomplishment for someone who used to weigh 332 (my lifetime high). I can't speak for your situation, but I encourage people to really embrace their successes and realize that you "made it baby" even if you feel like another 5 or 10# would be better.

@@CowgirlJane thanks for the words of encouragement. My actual all time high was 325 - still don't know how I managed to keep off that extra 20 pounds for several years. I think you give great advice about accepting and embracing our success. In some ways, that "all or none" mentality is part of what got me to that high weight. It was totally ignoring my health for periods of time, followed by periods of 100% rigid, obsessive, restrictive diet, followed by failure, rinse and repeat. Learning that one slip up is not the path to obesity, but a repeated pattern is, was a valuable lesson for me.

I've been deemed successful and "good to go" by 4 physicians (not in the same practice), and the dietician and nurse at my surgeons office, so I'm trying to wrap my head around that, even though on some levels I still feel "not quite finished". In the meantime, I think I'm getting better at accepting where I am and enjoying it as a genuine success. Having the perspective of others who have gone before us is tremendously valuable - so thanks!

@@CowgirlJane thanks for the words of encouragement. My actual all time high was 325 - still don't know how I managed to keep off that extra 20 pounds for several years. I think you give great advice about accepting and embracing our success. In some ways, that "all or none" mentality is part of what got me to that high weight. It was totally ignoring my health for periods of time, followed by periods of 100% rigid, obsessive, restrictive diet, followed by failure, rinse and repeat. Learning that one slip up is not the path to obesity, but a repeated pattern is, was a valuable lesson for me.

Words of truth! Thank you, MichiganChic.

I have been guilty of the all or nothing thinking too. I had a regain of about 5# in the summer of 2013, and I honestly thought..."5..10..100 - its all the same" I had to like get a grip and ask myself what kind of crazy is that thinking? So, I lost those 5 quite readily and it wasn't the same as 100...sheesh.

I am truly an "all or nothing" kind of gal. I have proven to myself once again that I CANNOT be trusted! LOL. I do well for a long time and can be really 100% but it's the maintenance that trips me up. Yes, I know exactly what to do for me but once I relax AT ALL I fall "off the wagon" completely.

You mentioned you felt your surgery had expired. Nope! It hasn't. Just a very few days will show you that you still have your best tool- your sleeve, and once you eat correctly, the restriction shows up again. Junk, carbs, etc are addictions. Simply put. They always will be. Can't change that and for me, it's all about the junk. Just one candy bar isn't enough. Once I start with the junk, I crave it and will graze all day long!

I'm over 4 years out now. I've reached goal, lost goal, regained and exceeded goal and continue to war! You can too. It is what it is - a lifetime challenge. Sure, they may be those who don't have any struggle but I don't think there are many. Just look at it realistically. You lost 80 pounds. You are still sleeved and have that tool. You may just have to really take yourself "in hand" (as I have to) and as Lynda said, toss the junk, weigh and track (FYE) and fight!!

We're with you in the battle!!!

I am totally in the same situation! I have felt like I really failed at this because after the year mark I stopped losing. I lost 80 lbs but have now gained back almost five lbs in the past month or so. I'm 17 months out now. I also feel hungry a lot. The carbs have snuck back in too. We had some financial changes so I'm not able to grocery shop like I did at first. Buying the meats and veggies that I "should" be eating is getting too expensive so I've had to fill in with cheaper meals to get everyone fed. I realize I'm Gonna have to work around that too My niece has bought me a few cases of Protein Shakes so I'm going to try just drinking those and eating one meal. I'm only in a size 18-16(on some) so I feel like I've wasted the money for the surgery if I can't get losing again to get closer to my goal. I need to lose between 50-65 more I have been guilty of not tracking my food again. Going to get back at that too. Anyway I haven't been on here in a while either cuz I felt like I had given up. Gonna change that too.