Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ad my surgery on June 26th. On June 28th I was rushed back to hospital and ended up having a twisted bowel. That turned into leaks and 7 surgeries later spent 1 week in ICU. I'm the 1% this happens to. I spent a month in the hospital. Have an appt with my dr tomorrow to hopefully get my 30+ staples out ( they gut me like a fish) and hopefully he will take out my feeding tube. I never thought this would happen. I know I will be happy eventually but my days are pretty depressing. Not saying don't get the surgery, just venting and letting y'all know what can really happen. I almost died for this

I feel your pain hun.. I really do...I am part of the 1% as well....Although I am pretty sure mine is less then 1%. Anyway the reason I am responding is because I want you to remember that attitude and keeping yourself up is 50% of what you are facing. If you let yourself become depressed over this it will just make matters worse for you okay!

Trust me..I am 22 months with complications and not out of the woods yet! Please stay positive and keep looking for every little good thing that happens and Celebrate it okay!

Made me cry. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I already have depression and anxiety. It sucks. Hope you feel better too

If you need me..PM me and we can talk! :)

I completely empathize with you.

It is so hard to battle through it all...the unexpected set backs, numerous surgery from complications, the fear, the remorse, the regret (did I do the right thing having this surgery?).

I have also had 7 surgeries so far to correct esophageal blockages, twisting, spasms, stomach contraction, closing off of the esophagus so that breathing was virtually impossible (Paramedic & ICU interventions x2) in less than 12 months of the initial sleeve surgery. About every 4 - 8 weeks I'm in for more surgery...

I too suffer from severe depression & anxiety, accompanied by seizures, structural physical damage to my knee & back which was my initial motivation to get the weight off & get a quality of life back!

The "set back" from complications has been awful. It feels as if it has destroyed my current existence because I never know when I'm going to end up back in hospital, need resuscitation (very scary), and SO want to avoid the pain and/or vomiting.

I am struggling with the beginnings of an eating disorder....basically I don't wont to eat to avoid the complications from it. :(Now in the hands of professional help with this which is helping & I recommend anyone in this position to seek help too!

Losing more than 1/2 my body weight in a year after surgery causes people to be amazed....but at what cost?

Yes I'm also the 1%er...I wish I wasn't! There are so many success stories which brightens my day. I was in such ill health this surgery really was my only option for lasting results.

Losing the weight has greatly improved my mobility, reduced back & knee pain...significantly reduced pain medications too (yeah) ALL POSITIVES!!!! I can now jog & walk for km's/miles easily, climb stairs quickly, not out of breath, can touch my toes (lol), no muscle aches....it's GREAT! No more walking stick, wheelie walker or wheel chair anymore which was humiliating at 40 years old.

Great to have support here & know we aren't alone on this "bumpy" journey :rolleyes:

Got you beat too @@Chatterboxa86 Sorry....just trying to add a little humor. Life keeps kicking us in the arse while others are rolling along a country road with the windows down and the music a blaring...

It can be a real stuff thing but it makes us into stronger people and we stand outside of the norm...People tell me all the time that I was saved by God for a special purpose. Maybe that is true for you both as well. Don't know what I'm still here for but the complications don't want to let up so maybe it is so that I can set the record for the entire next decade or two.....

If we can't laugh then we only have crying left! It is what it is..And I chose it because I was dead anyway....now I am just doing it slower I think then I was...Or maybe not....hmmmmmmmm..Have to think more about that eh!

Chin up girls..See what you can smile about and look it straight in the eye. Because it is up to us to make it or break it!

Your fellow in the complication world of WLS. :)

Yup

post-220742-0-13038800-1407441342_thumb.jpg

post-220742-0-21062500-1407441350_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this helps but when I was researching WLS I was deliberately trying to find people who had complications or otherwise bad experiences. I was impressed by the fact that ALL of those that I managed to find said they would still do it again. I hope everything turns out okay for you and it was all worth it in the end.

Ad my surgery on June 26th. On June 28th I was rushed back to hospital and ended up having a twisted bowel. That turned into leaks and 7 surgeries later spent 1 week in ICU. I'm the 1% this happens to. I spent a month in the hospital. Have an appt with my dr tomorrow to hopefully get my 30+ staples out ( they gut me like a fish) and hopefully he will take out my feeding tube. I never thought this would happen. I know I will be happy eventually but my days are pretty depressing. Not saying don't get the surgery, just venting and letting y'all know what can really happen. I almost died for this

Can I ask where you got your surgery done?

Virginia hospital center in Arlington VA. Great hospital. They saved my life

Yup

Thanks for showing the "reality" that this type of surgery has its risks and prospective patients should be prepared for an unfortunate set back like this. Congrats! how positive you are about the future after such a frightening/traumatic ordeal. Although your scaring will be a reminder of the complications experienced (thanks for posting the photos too) I hope that it also inspires you to enjoy the next part of the journey to losing the desired weight & finding lasting good health & related benefits of extra energy & happiness, loving your new look & not feeling hungry all the time!

I am so sorry all of you have had such horrific complications! I about struggling with the decision to have the bypass surgery. There are so many more non-complication stories out there but the reality is, things to happen. I know someone that passed from complications, hence my struggle...

My question to those that have had complications and have lost weight... Would you honestly do it again?

Was this a sleeve or bypass?

Thanks for sharing. I am having a sleeve revision to rny this Friday. Had the sleeve in June 2012 but due to reflux which is worse not better I will revise. I have had reflux since I got pregnant in 2005. I also have a return of a hiatus hernia,, had one fixed with sleeve surgery.

I know a few people who had sleeve with complications and were revised to bypass. One has extreme complications. The other 2 have had a few complications.

I think ti is good to know all sides oof the story and be prepared for anything as much as you can.