Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair lost anybody out there?

I'm 3 1/2 months out and I started losing my hair, I noticed it about a week ago! I'm sure there is a thread about this same subject but I can find it!

I have goggle it and saw youtube videos but I which I can get info from somebody that has gone thru this! I have a few questions...........................

1) for how long did hair lost last?

2) did it grow back?

I guess that's all my questions that I can remember now, hope somebody can help me!

Yep. Started in month 3 and slowed down in month 6. But didn't really stop until month 8 or 9.

very common for lots of patients, in fact if you do a search on 'hair' or 'hair loss' on here, you will find hundreds of comments from sleeve patients who went through it. most commonly onsets around month 3 post op. mostly due to the shock of surgery, loss of calories.

there are some things you can do to offset it, (shampoos, supplements), which will help with the regrowth, but i have read lots of threads and there doesn't seem to be much to do to stop it from happening.

you should seek the direction of your surgeon or bariatric coordinator or nut to follow whatever the plan is for your program.it DOES grow back though so no worries!

started at the same time 3 months but has really slowed down now at 5 and was not devastating, take your Vitamins and extra Biotin and make sure you get all your Protein in. We are all different, some don't loose any!

Many topics on hair loss here that you can read about. Mine was extra noticeable at 5 months and still losing at almost 9 months. Biotin is a joke as far as I can tell. Nothing has helped but the nice wig I purchased. I look great with it on!!

This might help:

Omg! I knew it was a side affect, but I was not mentally prepared for it, I have started to take a supplement that the Dr. Recommended, it name is "It Works! hair skin nails". One of my fellow sleevelers said it has worked for her, as far as stopping the Hair loss. I've only been on it 2.5 weeks I'll post again in a few weeks.

I am 3.5 months out and really thought I had gotten away with no hair loss....nope it has started this week with a vengeance. Coming out by the handfuls now. :(

5 months it started, 9 months now. No re-growth, still coming out. Thought I did everything right, nothing mattered. Just went on vacation in NOLA and bought two hats. Hot as heck anyway and everyone was wearing hats. We will just have to adapt.

I am almost 3 months out and have not noticed a difference in Hair loss (yet). For those that are experiencing hair loss how much Protein and carbs are you getting per day? I ask because a friend of mine (non WLS) feels that our high protein low carb diet is the reason for hair loss. She said it is also a side effect of being on the Atkins Diet long term. Any thoughts?

I am almost 3 months out and have not noticed a difference in hair loss (yet). For those that are experiencing Hair loss how much Protein and carbs are you getting per day? I ask because a friend of mine (non WLS) feels that our high Protein low carb diet is the reason for hair loss. She said it is also a side effect of being on the Atkins Diet long term. Any thoughts?

I have a friend who has been on Atkins 10 years and has beautiful thick hair. I just did what the surgeon and NUT directed, took good Vitamins and Biotin.

Nope, our hair loss post-WLS is not caused by "Atkins diets."

It's caused in our cases mostly by the loss of Protein (which we're eating lots of, but directing it toward our body's recovery and rebuilding) and the general shock to the body of having surgery -- which happened MONTHS BEFORE the Hair loss starts. Rapid weight loss is another factor that contributes to hair loss.

There's a name for this phenomenon: telogen effluvium. Here's a good article about its causes, when it starts, when it stops, and more:

http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/weight-loss-surgery/weight-loss-surgery-nutrition-and-hair-loss

If you want to learn more, google it. There are many well-sourced articles out there about it.

tl;dr You will lose some hair. The hair loss will not last long. Your hair will grow back. Biotin probably doesn't help.

Thanks for the information but to clarify I didn't say it came from the Atkins Diet. She compared some peoples diet after surgery to Atkins. I personally chose not to change to a high Protein low carb diet. I wasn't eating 80-100 gms of Protein before I don't feel I need it now. I asked because I see so many people saying they get in the the required protein but still have hair loss so I was wondering about those that don't get in the high levels of protein.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/293059-high-protein-diets-and-hair-loss/#page=1

Edited by Kissifur