Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and improved "after"

Could u tell us how u make your smoothie--what ingredients and measurements?!?

Sure...but I don't really have a set recipe. it varies greatly day to day.

1) mix whatever Protein powder flavor I'm in the mood for with Water or milk (milk for chocolate, vanilla, cake batter and red velvet cake flavors, Water for the Syntrax Nectars and Garden of Life powders). I use 1 1/2 scoops in about 24 oz of liquid.

2) add a heaping teaspoon each of Metamucil and benefiber, or 2 heaping teaspoons of Suprafiber or 2 heaping teaspoons of Garden of a Life Raw Fiber. Each of these have a slightly different taste, so I change which one I use based on the base Protein flavor.

3) if I'm adding fruit (bananas, berries, peaches, mangos, etc) I will blend it with water and then add it to my smoothie. I found that blending the whole smoothie makes it too frothy.

4) sometimes I will add PB2, Torani SF Syrup (caramel, gingerbread, pumpkin pie, hazelnut and Irish cream are my favorites ) real juice or Mio or Dasani or propel zero powder to mix up the flavor.

5) add ice to bring it up to 32oz and throw it in the fridge at work. This is what I drink for a midday "snack" in between appointments.

The type of Fiber and fruit I add dictates the consistency..some are thicker like shakes and some are more like lemonade or iced tea. I can PM you some of my favorite combos, but finding (or inventing) new flavors is 1/2 the fun for me. The only real disaster I had was when I tried to make a "Carmel apple" smoothie with Syntrax nectar apple, Matrix vanilla and Torani caramel syrup. Yuck!

Edited by Kindle

Really no secret, just your basic, healthy meal plan.....

For the first 6 weeks I followed my surgeon's meal plan and transitioned slowly through the food stages (very good restriction did not allow for "skipping ahead"). As hard as it was, I met Protein and Water goals 90% of the time. Once I was on regular food I focused on Protein and non starchy veggies. Steak, burger, ham, ribs, pork, chicken, BBQ, tuna, refried Beans, eggs, milk, Protein Bars, PB2, Greek yogurt, avocados, cheese, cottage cheese, mixed nuts, beef and turkey Jerky, broccoli, spinach, kale, green and yellow Beans, mushrooms, red peppers, edamame, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, Chinese mixed veggies, you name it....

Now at just over 7 months out I have a 24-32oz protein smoothie with 30-40g protein everyday and eat 4-5 meals and Snacks. I get a MINIMUM of 64oz Water daily and I take whole food based Vitamins. I have had sweets, deserts, chips, fries, alcohol, bread, Pasta and rice, but in moderation and probably not even once/week. As I got close to and passed goal, I started adding more fruit and whole grains. Besides Protein Bars (Natures Valley Protein, GNC Lean Bars, Fiber One Protein) I added whole grain bars like Kind, Kashi pumpkin Flax, and Pure Ancient Grains. I snack on mixed nuts, pumpkin seeds, edamame, Peanut Butter and apples, frozen pineapple, melons, and plain Fage or Chobani Greek yogurt flavored with Protein Powder. I add berries and other fruit as well as Metamucil and benefiber to my protein smoothie. But really, the simple answer is I eat a healthy, balanced diet of protein (always first priority) veggies, fruit and whole grains. I eat when I'm hungry and only until satisfied, not full. Besides protein and water, I never tracked anything. I have no idea how many calories or carbs or fat I eat.

As for exercise, I've got no magic formula there, either. I haven't been to a gym in years. Immediately postop I walked a lot but that was pretty much to help with digestion and to decrease the bloated feeling I had. I rode my recumbent bike 20-30 minutes/day for awhile but I haven't been on it in a couple weeks. I actually just have a very active lifestyle. I work 60+ hours/ week. I am a vet tech, so I'm standing, squatting, bending, lifting and walking all day. On the weekends I ride my horse, sometimes 15-20 miles/day (which is an excellent Pilates and thigh master workout if you are riding "correctly"). And along with the horses comes chores...shoveling ****, fixing fences, hauling water, feeding and stacking hay. Last weekend I got 42 bales of hay. Each bale weighs 80 pounds and I had to lift and move each one 3 times (big stack to truck; truck to shed; stack in shed). So essentially I lifted 10,000 pounds in 2 days....and at least part of that over my head (Basically lifted weights and did stair master for a couple hours). I got another 21 bales yesterday and the day before went whitewater rafting and rowed a boatload of friends 8 miles (more Pilates and push-ups).

Anyways, everyone's journey is going to be different. What works for me might not work for you. Just figure out what you are most comfortable with (establishing a workout routine and tracking everything is not a bad thing, it's just not what I did). And if you are still reading this, let me say my biggest advice is don't compare your weight loss to others. Concentrate on being healthy, don't torture yourself with guilt, keep a good attitude, and look for NSV's for validation, not the numbers on the scale.

Thank you very much for the info and advice Kindle. It is good to know that you used the recumbent bike because that is what I am using pre-op. I try to do between 40-50 mintues 6 times a week. You are such a good inspiration and you look great. Thanks again.

Ou do look terrific! What is your Exercise routine?

Thanks! As for excercise, Check out the third paragraph of the quote right above your post.

Holy crap...you look amazing! Congrats!

Love your honest posts and thrilled for you

Your are awesome. I didn't think I could ever get rid of my big fat arms. I thought I would be stuck with them for life. I think yours were in better shape than mine from jump street. I'm still going to try to firm then up.

Kindle - which whole food based Vitamins do you take? I have been buying mine at the surgeons office but would like cleaner ingredients. Thx!

I take Garden of Life Vitamin Code for Women. And I only take 1/2 the recommended dose because the levels are so good. ( I also take a separate D3 5000iu gel cap and a B12 500 sublingual but only 3 days/week). My Iron and Calcium were high on my 6 month labs so I stopped taking those supplements. Everything else was spot on.

Prior to surgery I was taking Source of Life Gold, which comes in chewable, liquid and tablets. But postop everything tasted too sweet to me, including the chewable vitamins, so I switched to Garden of Life because it comes in capsules. But They are both really good.

Edited by Kindle

Look at that backyard! Wooooot!

Thank! It's amazing what a nice tight butt clench will do!

OMG... You look stunning... How many days a week do you work out and what kind of routine. I was just sleeved on wednesday, sitting here sipping my Protein and came across you picture TRULLY inspirational.. Your picture gives me hope and willpower to do the same!

I have spent all morning reading this thread. You girls rock and have helped me solidify my decision. Thank you so much!