Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerns about how much I'm supposed to eat

Hello, I'm 10 days out my gastric sleeve surgery... I was out of the hospital the next day. Everything has been great...but I am soooo concern that I am not experiencing what others told me they experienced and that I might be able to consume more food than I thought I really could.

I have been drinking only Protein Shakes about 2 a day, 14oz each. This morning I was able to drink about 6 oz in sitting!!! I also drink lots of Water but wait a few minutes (20-30 minutes after any prior Protein shakes, food or water) ...

Am I drinking too much at a time?

Also, I made black bean Soup (liquified/purée) and was able to drink 2oz or so. I think I could have drank more but didn't because I don't think I'm supposed to.

Lastly, I had this crazy craving to eat fresh mozzarella cheese and had about 3 slices throughout the whole day...but that's all I had yesterday besides one 14oz of Protein shake.

Please advise me!

Respectfully,

Lucy

Hi Lucy,

You're stomach is recovering from major surgery, so you don't want to over do it, especially in the beginning. Protein drinks, pureed Soups, mashed potatoes should all be fine right now, but I don't think your stomach is ready for the cheese at this point. Try to hold off on that for just a little bit longer.

You should focus on the menu plan your Dr's office gave you because they know what your stomach can handle at each stage. Each week brings you a new opportunity to try different, new foods. Be patient as the time does go by quickly.

Check that food plan again, and if you need to, call your NUT or Dr's office for better advice.

Hang in there.

Fran

Thank you Fran. I'll discontinue the cheese. But do you think that I'm drinking too much in one sitting?

First you need to makes sure you're following your doctor's/NUT's plan - eat and drink only what's on your plan.

Second, follow their plan for portions - this is important. Your stomach is still healing - you may not feel full, you need to stop at the portion size specified in your plan. I could eat more than the specified portion when I was 2 weeks out - that doesn't mean I should.

When I was two weeks out, I ate every 3 hours and drank in between. It's a chore - it feels overwhelming with the watching the clock, weighing or measuring everything. It occupies a lot of time, but that will change in a couple of months and you'll get back to normal.

Hello, I'm 10 days out my gastric sleeve surgery... I was out of the hospital the next day. Everything has been great...but I am soooo concern that I am not experiencing what others told me they experienced and that I might be able to consume more food than I thought I really could.

I have been drinking only Protein shakes about 2 a day, 14oz each. This morning I was able to drink about 6 oz in sitting!!! I also drink lots of Water but wait a few minutes (20-30 minutes after any prior Protein Shakes, food or water) ...

Am I drinking too much at a time?

Also, I made black bean Soup (liquified/purée) and was able to drink 2oz or so. I think I could have drank more but didn't because I don't think I'm supposed to.

Lastly, I had this crazy craving to eat fresh mozzarella cheese and had about 3 slices throughout the whole day...but that's all I had yesterday besides one 14oz of Protein shake.

Please advise me!

Respectfully,

Lucy

Hi Lucy! Luv the name!.....did you get a folder with all the educational protocol an stages of eating plan before surgery? If u did follow it..I had a lot of paperwork given in all my pre surgery classes...it's by my fridge so I can look at it when I'm questionable. ..everyone's protocol is just about the same...maybe a lil different but close...I had sleeve done 3 wks ago...doin good..not perfect but managing. ..I can only get a few ozs myself at once. I'm not pushing it but wrking with it..:)

You will never get full on liquids, probably not even on puréed food. You won't feel restriction until you are on solid food. And if all you are consuming is 1-2 14oz Protein Shakes and some cheese, you are definitely not overdoing it. And there's no such thing as drinking too much Water (unless you are talking GALLONS without replacing electrolytes, too). I was never given portion restrictions. I was just told minimum 60g Protein and minimum 64oz fluids and it was a chore just to do that for the first 2-3 months. But be sure to follow your surgeon 's meal plan and don't skip ahead in your stages. The restrictions are in place for safe healing, not to torture you.

Hello Lucy,

You will feel more restriction once you get into soft foods. Water and shakes really do just go through you, there is not a lot to make you full. Myself, I have problems with liquids but most people do not. Hang in there and you will feel much better when you can eat food. My doctor let us eat food after one week but please follow whatever your doctor says to do.

Thank you sooooo much everyone!!!! I gave up the cheese. I honestly feel that I can stay on full liquid diet until it's time to go for my first visit 8/12. The document I was given says to be on full liquids for one week post op and then I can move to soft foods...but I just rather wait. This is all very strAnge to me because I'm going from a huge plate to a Salad Dressing Applebee's bowl lol.

No need to give up cheese.

Like everything just chew properly & masticate it well.

Slices of cheese become no different from milk when chewed properly.

Ohhh. Ok. How yogurt...what type of yogurt can I have? I love yo plait Greek o fat but instructions say no fruit at the bottom which ones can I buy?

Dont worry to much about it. Make sure to get your Water in. Calories and quanity is not that important. You will get the full effect of your sleeve once you move on to solid food. Liquids should go straight through your stomach. Thats the reason you never want to drink high cal liquids for this surgery to be effective.

Everyone has been so helpful and this is so reassuring!

In my opinion you can never drink too much. Keeping hydrated is your #1 goal. Just don't do it too fast. It is good to continually sip on something high Protein or Water.