Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I have to tell my employer or HR manager what I'm doing? I didn't want to tell anyone about the vsg surgery I plan on having with Dr. Garcia. We have pto (paid time off) not sick/vacation days. I am planing on using 7 of my pto days in March to have the surgery. My only concern would be if God forbid there are unexpected complications that keep me out longer. I have a desk job with no lifting required other than picking up the phone and feel like even with a little pain I should be able to push through, but what's your guys take on this?

Edited by Keri C

Do I have to tell my employer or HR manager what I'm doing? I didn't want to tell anyone about the vsg surgery I plan on having with Dr. Garcia. We have pto (paid time off) not sick/vacation days. I am planing on using 7 of my pto days in March to have the surgery. My only concern would be if God forbid there are unexpected complications that keep me out longer. I have a desk job with no lifting required other than picking up the phone and feel like even with a little pain I should be able to push through, but what's your guys take on this?

I work for a big hospital so when I requested FMLA for my surgery I had to call our leave administration office. I did have to tell them but they were faceless people. My manager did have to sign a paper that was part of the fmla but it didn't say what I was having. As far as after surgery... My leave was for 6weeks,(I'm a nurse in a busy NICU so my job is demanding) but I'm a little over two weeks out and I feel great!! I have not had any complications and minimal pain.

I work for a big hospital so when I requested FMLA for my surgery I had to call our leave administration office. I did have to tell them but they were faceless people. My manager did have to sign a paper that was part of the fmla but it didn't say what I was having. As far as after surgery... My leave was for 6weeks,(I'm a nurse in a busy NICU so my job is demanding) but I'm a little over two weeks out and I feel great!! I have not had any complications and minimal pain. Having said that you can never be sure how your postoperative course is going to go everyone is different.

It really depends on your employer's policies. I had to have FMLA paperwork completed by my surgeon's office and sent to an HR rep in order to qualify for my employer's "catastrophic leave bank". The leave bank is meant for people who have to be out due to medical reasons but have already exhausted their personal sick days. I will only have 1 accrued sick day heading into my surgery, so I needed to be able to access the leave bank for the remaining days off.

So that one HR rep knows what procedure I'm having. My supervisors and coworkers just know that I am having surgery and will be out for 2 weeks. I didn't tell them what I'm having surgery for and, thankfully, none of them asked.

I recently had PS surgery in Mexico and I had used up my vacation time, so I decided to use my two weeks of PTO days also. I told HR I was having "a procedure". I spent a week down in Tijuana, and flew back. After a few days I also was back at my desk. I head up a dept, so it was no big deal as long as I showed up, that was all that mattered, I did not stay long in the beginning, took a lot of my work home. It was fine, most people were not even aware I was gone...I felt great and healed nicely....