Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to make my decision...gastric bypass or VSG. I welcome all opinions.

My stats:

HW 356

CW 344

Female

5'3" age 51.

Pre diabetic..

Slightly elevated cholesterol

Mobility issues

Bypass. Just my opinion, but statistically bypass better helps resolve the diabetes and other systemic issues. It also helps you lose more weight faster.

If weight was the only factor, VSG would be a good choice, but with the comorbidities, I'd opt for bypass, which is exactly what I'm doing.

Daron that's what I'm leaning sticks. That's what I want. So many telling me to consider sleeve.

Leaning TO....stupid autocorrect

That is a big decision. I have a cousin that had the Band & has had issues. She has gained a lot of her weight back. My niece had the Bypass & lost a lot of weight very quickly. She has done really well but did have issues with dumping. The Sleeve you don't have the dumping issue & the weight loss is slower. I wish you the best with whatever surgery you choose.

I can relate on the choice. I had made up my mind that I would be having VSG, even tho I would be private pay on it. Tricare does not cover the sleeve. Then I joined this site. It is correct that you have dumping with Bypass, but only if you eat something you are not supposed to eat (like sweets). To me, that would be a good motivator not to cheat. Also, people with Diabetes (like me) are more likely to be able to stop taking medication (even as early as post-surgery before you leave the hospital), with Bypass. I take Nexium daily (have for 5 years) because I have acid reflux really bad. The big thing I learned on here is that people who have VSG, deal with acid reflux in the worst way. So, I decided to go with Bypass and let my insurance pay for it. Winner, Winner!! Good Luck with what you decide to do. I would just rather "dump" when I wanted to, than feel like I'm having a heart attack with that acid!!!

GASTRIC Bypass is what I had decided prior to my surgeon consult. He just advised me to consider both. Ultimately its my decision. I look at dumping as an added plus to bypass. I'm tired of being in this body as I'm sure all if you can understand. I feel bypass is my best choice.

Keep in mind dumping only happens to about 20-30% people. I did a few times in my first month and since then it has not happened. Plus I don't eat sweets to get to that point. There are stats out there to give you the accurate percentage of how many people actually experience dumping. Some don't ever get it. Good luck!

I am one of the *lucky* that have dumping with the sleeve. I can't eat very sweet stuff like ice cream or cheesecake or other high sugar foods. About 1 bite is all I can tolerate. RNY slight edge for diabetics. If you are pre diabetic sleeve may be enough.

RNY still gold standard.

Whatever choice you make you can and will be successful. Personally I did I not have comorbidities and saw no reason to have the re-routing part done.

I wanted VSG, but my surgeon strongly suggested the band. He does all surgeries, but he tries to match the patient to the safest procedure. I had the band, and so far no problems. I wish the weight would come off faster; but for elective surgeries many surgeons prefer to be cautious. Good luck, all of WLS seem to yield good results.

My pre-op stats were very similar to yours.

48 Year Old Female

5'2" 331 pounds (291 on date of surgery)

High Blood Pressure

sleep Apnea

Mobility Issues (knees and low back)

I had RNY on June 25, 2013. I have lost a total of 205 pounds (current weight 126 pounds). I have no knee or low back pain. My blood pressure and sleep apnea have completely resolved. I have NEVER had dumping and have - very rarely - had sweets or fatty foods (in small quantities). I have yet to find a food that I enjoyed pre-surgery that I cannot enjoy at least a bite of now. That said, I choose to eat very differently now.

The past year has been an incredible journey. RNY has been a miracle for me and I NEVER want to go back to having to live in that morbidly obese body again! Life is wonderful!

This has just been my experience. I am glad I choose RNY. It is the "Gold Standard" and the one they know the most about. I would do it again in a heartbeat - my only wish is that I had done it years ago.

Carol

Edited by Baconville

Thank you all for your responses. I still feel strongly towards bypass but I will put off final decision til after my nutritionist as I promised my doctor. Carol....you are my inspiration! What kind of exercise did you do?

Thank you all for your responses. I still feel strongly towards bypass but I will put off final decision til after my nutritionist as I promised my doctor. Carol....you are my inspiration! What kind of exercise did you do?

At the beginning the only thing I was able to do was a recumbent elliptical at the YMCA. I could not even do 20 minutes on the treadmill due to such horrible knee pain. I lived on Advil. As the weight came off I was diligent about increasing my exercise. My first class was Body Pump at the YMCA. This is a weight lifting class. I started with 2.5 lb weights, I now lift 20 pounds. I still do this class once or twice a week. Now I also do a Turbo Kick class and my favorite is Zumba, both of which I do twice a week. I also walk everyday at lunch, about a two mile walk in about 45 minutes. One thing that really worked for me was to increase my exercise whenever my weight loss began to stall.

Believe me, I am nobody special. If I can do this so can you! Keep moving forward, it really is worth it!

Carol

I would do the bypass due to the diabetes. My sugars were in the 300s, and they came down some with the preop diet. Also before surgery my A1c was over 10. My sugars were normal two days after surgery. I was taken off all diabetes meds when I was discharged from the hospital. I haven't had any labs since before surgery so I don't know what A1c is currently. I think I am having labs done at my six week appointment coming up. I have lost 53 pounds.

Edited by jtickle