Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

HELP BCBS ANTHEM FEP Denied Coverage for Lab Work

Views
Started by pronetus, Apr 29, 2007 9:54 AM
3 replies to this topic
3 replies to this topic

pronetus

Advanced Member

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted April 29, 2007 - 9:54 AM

Hi Folks, I am in Northern VA and have BCBS FEP plan 105. I just received a statement from BCBS Anthem from some initial labwork with my primary care Dr. The Bill was $340 for EKG and lipid blood profile. the reason for non-coverage was that BCBS does not cover treatment for Obesity. Huh? I have a Barium swallow set up for net week. I am afraid I'd have to eat that cost.

Can anyone provide any help or guidance on this?

Thanks

dotofoz

Guru in Training

Posted April 30, 2007 - 1:17 PM

Hi Folks, I am in Northern VA and have BCBS FEP plan 105. I just received a statement from BCBS Anthem from some initial labwork with my primary care Dr. The Bill was $340 for EKG and lipid blood profile. the reason for non-coverage was that BCBS does not cover treatment for Obesity. Huh? I have a Barium swallow set up for net week. I am afraid I'd have to eat that cost.

Can anyone provide any help or guidance on this?

Thanks

Hi. I'd check your benefits brochure. If I'm not mistaken, it is a FEDERAL LAW that wls is covered in all federal employee health plans starting in 2007(check out Google--morbid obesity federal employee health plan). They can make you jump thru hoops, but it and all testing s/b covered! Also, check w/your Dr....I have bcbs federal ohio and had NO problems at all with anything! I'd definitely double check! Good luck! Oh, btw, enjoy the barium swallow! I almost puked not only on the tech, but the doctor!:)

Candle

Bariatric Evangelist

Posted May 1, 2007 - 9:42 PM

That's odd.

I also have Anthem BC/BS out of CT and so far they have covered all my pre-op testing. I have an exclusion on my plan ... sounds like you do as well. Did you check to see if you were covered for the band?

(I'm switching to a new insurance co before surgery)

jnkntrnk

Posted May 9, 2007 - 8:46 PM

I've just found out I've been approved for the surgery; by Anthem BCBS. But so far they are "pending" the EKG. I too have stuff setup for the rest of the clearances and am nervous. But I think I'll have the right to appeal any pre-op procedures once the connection is made between the two. The code on the EKG just said weight loss and didn't reference it as pre-op. Hopefully it will turn out okay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Nov 21
    HalloweenBaby24

LOVE how i've lost 40lbs but some how I've only went down 1 jean size...

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Trending Topics

Topics with No Reply