Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my date! (Aaaaand, now I'm having 2nd thoughts)

Hi all!

I GOT A DATE! I have been crossing my fingers since the beginning that it would be this summer as I'm a teacher, so it would minimize sick time. With almost every step, things have miraculously fallen into place, and I've been able to fly through and get appointments earlier than expected, etc. Well, the surgeon's secretary called today to say they had an opening on August 13th, and I took it. This is what I've been waiting for for months (a lifetime maybe?).

And now I'm scared. I know the science behind it. I know why it's better than my previous attempts (whi*****lude everything out there). I know why I want to lose the weight and how much easier and healthier my life will be when I do. Suddenly, though, I have this nagging voice in my head. It says, "This is the easy way out. This isn't the right choice. You're rushing into this. You're still not going to keep the weight off. This is NUTS." Did any of you go through this? I know I have a great surgeon. I have read hundreds of success stories on here. I have unbelievable support from my family and friends. Still, though, I can't shake this feeling.

Anyone else?

-Ginnie

I didn't go through this but what I was told and what I believe is this is NOT the easy way out. being 3 months post op there is nothing easy about this process. you have to be very calculated in everything you do. Getting the right amount of excercise, eating the right foods and enough of them, taking all of your Vitamins, drinking plenty of Water...it's not the easy way out although some people feel it is.

You will keep the weight off as long as you think through all of your food choices...for instance, physically you can drink chocolate Syrup but can you tell yourself not to? I know crazy exampe but it's the truth...good stuff in, good stuff out. I wish you the very best, Everything will go really great! My life is completely changed for the better and I never had one moment of regret!

Thanks for the helpful words! I just worry that I've lost track of those healthy choices every other time I've lost weight. I'm afraid of losing track of them again, and it being a bigger deal after such a drastic choice.

I have definitely had moments where it all feels very overwhelming and surreal, and it's easy to let that turn into self doubt. Like you, I was surprised by how quickly I was able to go through the process (information session to surgery date under a month), but I think that is completely normal given the major life change that the surgery will facilitate. I think it's been helpful for me to take some deep breaths and remember why I am doing this- life is simply too short to be held back from all of the things I love because of weight. I know from previous weight loss attempts how much more beautiful everything feels when you aren't constantly thinking about how your clothes fit, or worrying about being able to keep up with friends or family, or fully enjoying being on vacation without being held back by embarrassment and frustration. This surgery has the potential to break a terrible cycle that many of us have been stuck in for years, and I think it's helpful to remind yourself of that when it feels really scary and overwhelming. Only you know if you're ready to take the plunge, but I think even starting this process says something about where you are with weight frustration. Whatever you decide, I think there's a path for everyone, and I hope you choose whatever you think will make you happiest in the long run!

I had the same thoughts, but I came to the conclusion that the easy way out is to stay fat, and I was tired of that option. I've only been sleeved for 2.5 weeks, but I do not regret it at all!

Hi all!

I GOT A DATE! I have been crossing my fingers since the beginning that it would be this summer as I'm a teacher, so it would minimize sick time. With almost every step, things have miraculously fallen into place, and I've been able to fly through and get appointments earlier than expected, etc. Well, the surgeon's secretary called today to say they had an opening on August 13th, and I took it. This is what I've been waiting for for months (a lifetime maybe?).

And now I'm scared. I know the science behind it. I know why it's better than my previous attempts (whi*****lude everything out there). I know why I want to lose the weight and how much easier and healthier my life will be when I do. Suddenly, though, I have this nagging voice in my head. It says, "This is the easy way out. This isn't the right choice. You're rushing into this. You're still not going to keep the weight off. This is NUTS." Did any of you go through this? I know I have a great surgeon. I have read hundreds of success stories on here. I have unbelievable support from my family and friends. Still, though, I can't shake this feeling.

Anyone else?

-Ginnie

I've had the same thoughts. I think it's stemming from fear of failure tho.

Hi all!

Anyone else?

-Ginnie

I had the same thoughts, I started thinking I didn't really need the surgery....then I went and took a before picture. Nothing like seeing that to remind myself that I really needed help.

I am right there with you. Nervous , scared but I know this weight needs to go but I am reconsidering and thinking about talking to my Dr. about the Band rather than the sleeve. Just confused at this point.

You have a case of the "pre-op heebeegeebees". Here is the cure: ask yourself how much you weigh now based on being in control by yourself, and then right away ask yourself how much you could weigh in a year if you bring on a sleeve to elp you. No doubt you are a strong person in many other ways.

You said you are a teacher What would you tell a student who is afraid to try something new? Weight loss surgery is a gift from the weight loss fairy. Think of the compliments you will be getting in a year when people you did not tell wonder what in world you did to get so fabulous. Here is a that has helped me get through many a tough decision:

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can - begin it...... for boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."

by Wolfgang von Goethe

I changed my world on 7-21 and I felt the exact same way. Look at it this way, we are not going to put our bodies through this unless we are committed to success. I am only 1 1/2 week out but for the first time in years I feel hope.

I think I changed my mind a hundred times between August, 2013 when I decided to have surgery and November, 2013 when I had my surgery. I had similar thoughts..."Have I tried hard enough to lose weight?" "Is this cheating - taking the easy way out?" "What am I doing to myself?" I think it's perfectly normal.

I almost backed out the night before surgery and the morning of surgery. I was terrified. I remember sitting in admitting thinking, "I could walk out of here right now and I'll only be out $500." I looked at my husband and he was as scared as I was, but he had this look on his face that let me know everything is going to be OK. At that moment, I knew - I knew that I was doing the right thing.

I'm 8.5 months post-op - I feel like I'm finally starting to live the life I am supposed to live. I'm becoming the person I'm supposed to be. I'm a better wife and mom now. I feel better about myself. I'm learning to become content.

It hasn't been an easy road. I have bad days still. It's not all sunshine and lollipops, HOWEVER, my life today is so much better than it was one year ago when I was at my high weight.

You'll know when you're ready - be prepared for an emotional roller coaster between now and surgery day. Be kind to yourself. Best of luck to you!

THANK YOU ALL!!!! J bond... that hope is exactly what I'm looking for with this as my last option. I have lost up to 100 lbs on other plans (that was when I was a contestant on season 3 of Biggest Loser), and here I am. It is a vicious, nasty cycle! I know it's the right thing to do. I'm having a tough time sticking to healthy eating in the last few weeks, (start liquid tomorrow) but I know that once I get down to something and put my mind to it I'm all in. Like I said, I have amazing support, too. My husband is behind me 100%, and I have the BEST friends and family. They're not going to let me fail myself any more than I am. Thank you all for your helpful words!!

Driving to work instead of walking is the easy way out.

Using the washing machine or dishwasher instead of hand washing is the easy way out.

Glasses or contacts are the easy way out.

Even if WLS is the easy way out (say that again in 6 months HA!), why wouldn't you do it to save your own life?

Life is filled with "the easy way out". If your heart was broken, you'd fix it, if your leg was broken, you'd fix it, if you needed hernia surgery or a kidney transplant, you'd do it. This is no different.

Driving to work instead of walking is the easy way out.

Using the washing machine or dishwasher instead of hand washing is the easy way out.

Glasses or contacts are the easy way out.

Even if WLS is the easy way out (say that again in 6 months HA!), why wouldn't you do it to save your own life?

Life is filled with "the easy way out". If your heart was broken, you'd fix it, if your leg was broken, you'd fix it, if you needed hernia surgery or a kidney transplant, you'd do it. This is no different.

Wow! Lipstick lady,if I could like this twice I would! Well said..really hit home for me.

Hi all! I GOT A DATE! I have been crossing my fingers since the beginning that it would be this summer as I'm a teacher, so it would minimize sick time. With almost every step, things have miraculously fallen into place, and I've been able to fly through and get appointments earlier than expected, etc. Well, the surgeon's secretary called today to say they had an opening on August 13th, and I took it. This is what I've been waiting for for months (a lifetime maybe?). And now I'm scared. I know the science behind it. I know why it's better than my previous attempts (whi*****lude everything out there). I know why I want to lose the weight and how much easier and healthier my life will be when I do. Suddenly, though, I have this nagging voice in my head. It says, "This is the easy way out. This isn't the right choice. You're rushing into this. You're still not going to keep the weight off. This is NUTS." Did any of you go through this? I know I have a great surgeon. I have read hundreds of success stories on here. I have unbelievable support from my family and friends. Still, though, I can't shake this feeling. Anyone else? -Ginnie

Hi! Congrats on your date... I hear you, I just got my date for 9/8.. And I was driving to work thinking and saying all these things to myself, I'm high and low,crazy thoughts, but I know that if I came this far and six months of preparing and insurance requirements, I'm doing this!