Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi all , I had my third barium xray on Tuesday - all ok . radiographer said barium went through fine but no pouch ? a few months ago I had a barium and 0.5ml was put in which produced a pouch which previously I was told I did not have , that particular radiographer said one is not present until sufficient restriction is present ? I subsequently had to have that 0.5ml removed as eating was extremely difficult and sometimes Fluid also , so again told no pouch formation ? I am confused ?? I have restriction but not sure if too much at times because meat as a Protein is almost impossible in fact a normal looking type meal is ie meat /veg etc , the softer the better to be honest ; I have 5.5 in a 10ml band , weight stuck so frustrated too , do I go tighter or looser , I have been both , HELP , anyone similar out there ?

What if "the pouch" is really the distance between the stoma and the stomach, which is made smaller by the band. I picture a funnel shape. No idea if this accurate or helpful but I did want to respond. In terms of tight vs. loose what if you rely on the red green zone descriptions rather than shape her or how big your pouch might be? Again, I am a novice. Just curious myself and going for a fill assessment tomorrow. It's all a little tricky, eh? I'm hungry again sooner than I should be and am looking for food again so I think it's time for an eensy weeny fill. But I'm terrified of being too tight.

hi bandista ,

I thought the same as you describe pretty much , until radiographers mentioned , pouch , or lack of , I have always understood your fill and how you are re red/green zone was your real indication not whether you have a pouch , it has thrown me to be honest when mentioned , I have several books I have found useful which I refer to on and of and of course this support group . I have had numerous fills /unfills but not yet hit the green zone totally , I have thought I was there only to then find I am not , when I have a fill it can take several days or so to settle , my last clinic I had 0.5ml removed as too tight , that seemed fine but think I need some of that put back in ? I have trouble eating any meat but unlike before now want to pick between meals which I am finding a struggle , its a fine balance and I never seem to hit it just right , frustrating , before my last defill I had sore throat trouble eating all most everything and sometimes drink too , definitely too tight which is not nice , sick quite often too because of it , not pleasant , I hope to reach my green zone real soon . 5.5ml in 10ml band .

Interesting they would say that....I have seen x-rays of enlarged, over stretched, herniated pouches...not very pretty....

When the band says stop, I stop. And for good measure I do a little maintenance every 4-6 weeks.

B-52. What do you mean by maintenance?

Assuming your surgeon placed the band 2-3 CM below the lower esophageal sphincter there are no more pouches. If there is, it's the size of a shot glass. The traditional pouch your radiologist speaks of is no more unless your band was put on by some surgeon in Mexico or marches to the beat of his own drum?

Of course, dilation of the pouch does happen but this is a medical condition that is not favorable. Watch this video and maybe it helps your understand this better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa3Lwt6ElIs&list=UL Part 1

My new band doctor mentioned that I didn't really have a "pouch" per say either. He didn't say those exact words though. He told me that my band seemed a little too close to my esophagus...this was after not having any Fluid in it for a year. He said not to worry now, but it may be hard trying to get the perfect fill and we need to keep an eye on it so my esophagus isn't affected.