Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Surgery v the "Natural Way" (Long)

So I have been thinking about this for a while now. Prior to accepting the fact that I need bariatric surgery, I was of the mindset that surgery was the "easy way out". Yes, a 140 pounds overweight person thought this - a traitor in your midst!! JK. As I started this process, during orientation I had thoughts like "I can lose weight, I've done it before and I can do it again, so why am I here" and "I don't have any serious co-morbities so why am I here?" Then, after more thought I came to the conclusion that I have been overweight for most of my life, so if I could have/would have done it, I wouldn't be even contemplating such things. If I stay the way I am I WILL develop serious co-morbidities - it's not a question of "IF" it's a question of "WHEN".

Now that I have accepted this to be fact, I am starting to look around at other people who have lost weight, whether they are a celebrity or just someone I know or someone who has put themselves out there on the internet. I came to the revelation that no one I know that had significant weight to lose has (1) lost all of their weight or (2) kept it off. The results of those people on the web are mixed, but I admit, I have not done a thorough search for really obese people that have chronicled their weight lose through a blog. Back in 2007-2008 I became familiar with David Smith (through his BodySpace blog) on Bodybuildingdotcom before he was famous for losing like 400 pounds with the help of Chris Powell (from Extreme Weight Loss fame). In fact, that is how Chris became famous, because of David. A few years after his tremendous success, David eventually gained about 300-350 pounds back and is now trying to get back to his lowest weight. I sincerely wish him the best of luck - I had a chance to PM him a few times through his BodySpace blog and he seems like a really nice guy. Check out his Facebook page if you are curious - it's David Ellmore Smith.

My former gynecologist is overweight and has been for the entire time I have known her, which is about 14 years. A few years ago, she went on a liquid diet and lost like 100 or so pounds. I gave her a nickname "skinny" and we'd joke about it whenever I came in for an appointment. Unfortunately, she has gained back almost all she has lost and is morbidly obese again. She was always down on bariatric surgery - she felt it was too invasive. When I saw that she had gained back the weight, I felt sad for her and then thought, "if my own doctor can't keep it off with her advanced knowledge of the body and how it works, what hope is there for me?"

Yesterday, I got wind of the whole Star Jones/Mo'nique controversy where supposedly Star said that there was no way that Mo'nique lost weight without surgery..bla..bla...bla. Turns out Star never said that but you know how the media loves controversy. What surprised me was Mo'nique's response that she had lost it through hard work and sweat and sent a message to other big women that they didn't have to resort to surgery. She said during an interview:

"I tweet every morning about my workouts because I want women to see – especially us big women – that you don’t have to let them cut you and suck it out, you don’t have to let them staple you up, you don’t have to let them give you a pill, you don’t have to let them put a band around your organs,” Mo’Nique said in an interview."

I thought it was interesting that she framed the issue in terms of women being "made" to have surgery, or take pills, as if they don't have a choice whether or not to have a bariatric procedure. Her comment appear to propogate a victim mentality to make it seem like what she is doing is so much more fabulous than merely losing weight - she is this extraordinary woman fighting against some invisible villian by losing the weight through traditional methods. In approaching the issue this way she demonizes bariatric surgery at the same time. So that got me thinking - why do we see bariatric surgery as the "unnatural" or the "bad" way to lose weight? It's really not true at all.

Losing weight can be done by anyone - everyone on this site and other sites like it have lost weight. The issue is KEEPING IT OFF and changing to behaviors that support healthy habits and a healthy body weight.

Why does it matter HOW someone loses weight? I would argue that it DOESN'T.

1. The person that loses weight through diet and exercises uses the diet and exercise as a TOOL to be healthy and achieve their goal

2. The person that uses the surgery and diet uses these as a TOOL to be healthy and achieve their goal

3. BOTH types of people have to STRUGGLE each and every day to keep the weight off and maintain healthy habits

The difference between the two (at least from what I understand since I have not yet had the surgery) is that having surgery makes it EASIER to be successful. Two of my relatives have had bariatric surgery have both said that the surgery "levels the playing field", meaning that it is so much easier for them to be successful, post surgery, at maintaining healthy habits and keeping the weight off.

Maybe that is where this comes from, the idea that it is easier for people than before their surgery is a huge cop-out. Maybe it's jealousy on many different levels. I however, don't think that way. However someone can lose weight is great - surgery or not. It's never a cake-walk.

great post. i tried several times to lose weight the "natural" way, but my love of food and my PCOS made it very difficult for me to keep it off for long. i'm 5 weeks post op and can tell you that this is definitely hard work and my small tummy is only the half of it. if i don't put the right things into said tummy, and i don't burn calories daily, i won't be successful. so to think this is an easy way out or that it is somehow an easy choice, is ridiculous. the point is to get healthy in whichever method is right for you.

Is using Chemo cheating when one has cancer? Should one take only natural cures for cancer instead? Not if they want to live! Obesity is a disease. One shouldnt feel guilty because they attacked their disease with the best treatment know. End of story.

@@HaddocksEyes You are right having surgery is not the easy way out. Having surgery does not make it easier for anyone to lose weight or to keep that weight off.

Having surgery does level the playing field, that is for sure. Many of us are obese and it is beyond our "natural" control. Our bodies have grown accustom to eating a certain volume and chemical combination of food, our genes may play a role in the way we store fat and sugar and often the combination of all these factors changes the chemical make up of how our body's metabolism works.

Changing that with altering our diets for liquids and/or dieting works and we lose weight. We get on a fitness trend and we trick the body and the weight falls off. Then we go back to reality, and we stop "dieting" and we go back to living and the weight comes right back and often times with a few pounds of friends.

Having WLS means making a life style change, not going on a diet. Sure there are some "diet" rules to follow pre-op and then post-op but true success comes from making a change to the way you think about and live with food, and the way you think and feel about fitness.

WLS is not a miracle cure for obesity. It is a process that helps the individual prepare and focus on making a permanent life style change. If you are not 100% committed going into surgery it's not going to give you the results you desire. It is up to you, and it is work that will last a life time. It's a labor of love you give your self.

Diets end but life goes on :)

I chose gastric sleeve for maintenance more than for weight loss. I know I can lose weight "on my own". I've been losing and gaining weight most of my life. In 2010/2011 I had my biggest weight loss. I went from 270 down to 176. But you know what happened? I regained ~50 of that. Then I re-lost 25-30. Then I gained 40. The I re-lost 40. Then I gained 60. And by the end of June of this year, I was all the way back up to 260. Only 10 pounds shy of my highest weight!

I decided to work to lose weight yet again. In the past month I've lost 10.2 pounds. But this time will be the last time. I don't want to get back down into the 170s or lower just to gain it all back AGAIN! They don't perform weight loss surgery on people who are a healthy weight. So if I were to lose the weight "on my own" again, the chances are very high that I'd be right back here in a couple of years.

The time is now for me. I will have the surgery and use it as a tool for weight loss this time around. But the big difference is, with my smaller stomach and the things I learn along THIS journey, I will be able to MAINTAIN a healthy weight and never be back here again.

The research I've done shows a fairly low "failure" rate for gastric sleeve. "Failure" meaning regaining the weight after the initial loss. One study showed a failure rate of roughly 20% (1 in 5), but they defined "failure" as regaining 22 pounds or more. I figure, even if I'm in that 20%, if I lose 100+ pounds and regain 20, I'm still down 80+ pounds. That's a hell of a lot better than my own personal failure rate with diet and exercise where 100% of the time I've regained 80-100% of the weight I had lost!

Edited by JamieLogical

@@HaddocksEyes You are right having surgery is not the easy way out. Having surgery does not make it easier for anyone to lose weight or to keep that weight off.

Having surgery does level the playing field, that is for sure. Many of us are obese and it is beyond our "natural" control. Our bodies have grown accustom to eating a certain volume and chemical combination of food, our genes may play a role in the way we store fat and sugar and often the combination of all these factors changes the chemical make up of how our body's metabolism works.

Changing that with altering our diets for liquids and/or dieting works and we lose weight. We get on a fitness trend and we trick the body and the weight falls off. Then we go back to reality, and we stop "dieting" and we go back to living and the weight comes right back and often times with a few pounds of friends.

Having WLS means making a life style change, not going on a diet. Sure there are some "diet" rules to follow pre-op and then post-op but true success comes from making a change to the way you think about and live with food, and the way you think and feel about fitness.

WLS is not a miracle cure for obesity. It is a process that helps the individual prepare and focus on making a permanent life style change. If you are not 100% committed going into surgery it's not going to give you the results you desire. It is up to you, and it is work that will last a life time. It's a labor of love you give your self.

Diets end but life goes on :)

TRUE! My bariatric doctor said to me "You know, diet really is a four letter word". He's great.

Funny you should post this. I just had the exact conversation with my hubby last night.

I have been dieting for the past 35 years. My first diet was an egg and grapefruit diet that I successfully lost 30 lbs and proceeded to gain it all back. I was 12.....

I have drank Optifast for 4 months, successfully lost then gained 50 lbs.....

My stepdad lost over 100 lbs last year, got off all meds for diabetics and is now gaining it back.

A close friend of mine lost 50 lbs 2 years ago and every time I see her now she's gained a bit more back....

As I get older I feel the excess 60 lbs more and more. I cannot kneel down, I'm having a tough time painting my nails, I am short of breath, I have sleep apnea and I'm overall feeling aweful!

My goal with WLS is to lose the excess and then train myself to keep it off. My hope is that the sleeve will be a tool to help me. I don't feel like it's any different than going to another weight loss program, just hoping it is the tool that will work!

So I have been thinking about this for a while now. Prior to accepting the fact that I need bariatric surgery, I was of the mindset that surgery was the "easy way out". Yes, a 140 pounds overweight person thought this - a traitor in your midst!! JK. As I started this process, during orientation I had thoughts like "I can lose weight, I've done it before and I can do it again, so why am I here" and "I don't have any serious co-morbities so why am I here?" Then, after more thought I came to the conclusion that I have been overweight for most of my life, so if I could have/would have done it, I wouldn't be even contemplating such things. If I stay the way I am I WILL develop serious co-morbidities - it's not a question of "IF" it's a question of "WHEN".

Now that I have accepted this to be fact, I am starting to look around at other people who have lost weight, whether they are a celebrity or just someone I know or someone who has put themselves out there on the internet. I came to the revelation that no one I know that had significant weight to lose has (1) lost all of their weight or (2) kept it off. The results of those people on the web are mixed, but I admit, I have not done a thorough search for really obese people that have chronicled their weight lose through a blog. Back in 2007-2008 I became familiar with David Smith (through his BodySpace blog) on Bodybuildingdotcom before he was famous for losing like 400 pounds with the help of Chris Powell (from Extreme Weight Loss fame). In fact, that is how Chris became famous, because of David. A few years after his tremendous success, David eventually gained about 300-350 pounds back and is now trying to get back to his lowest weight. I sincerely wish him the best of luck - I had a chance to PM him a few times through his BodySpace blog and he seems like a really nice guy. Check out his Facebook page if you are curious - it's David Ellmore Smith.

My former gynecologist is overweight and has been for the entire time I have known her, which is about 14 years. A few years ago, she went on a liquid diet and lost like 100 or so pounds. I gave her a nickname "skinny" and we'd joke about it whenever I came in for an appointment. Unfortunately, she has gained back almost all she has lost and is morbidly obese again. She was always down on bariatric surgery - she felt it was too invasive. When I saw that she had gained back the weight, I felt sad for her and then thought, "if my own doctor can't keep it off with her advanced knowledge of the body and how it works, what hope is there for me?"

Yesterday, I got wind of the whole Star Jones/Mo'nique controversy where supposedly Star said that there was no way that Mo'nique lost weight without surgery..bla..bla...bla. Turns out Star never said that but you know how the media loves controversy. What surprised me was Mo'nique's response that she had lost it through hard work and sweat and sent a message to other big women that they didn't have to resort to surgery. She said during an interview:

"I tweet every morning about my workouts because I want women to see – especially us big women – that you don’t have to let them cut you and suck it out, you don’t have to let them staple you up, you don’t have to let them give you a pill, you don’t have to let them put a band around your organs,” Mo’Nique said in an interview."

I thought it was interesting that she framed the issue in terms of women being "made" to have surgery, or take pills, as if they don't have a choice whether or not to have a bariatric procedure. Her comment appear to propogate a victim mentality to make it seem like what she is doing is so much more fabulous than merely losing weight - she is this extraordinary woman fighting against some invisible villian by losing the weight through traditional methods. In approaching the issue this way she demonizes bariatric surgery at the same time. So that got me thinking - why do we see bariatric surgery as the "unnatural" or the "bad" way to lose weight? It's really not true at all.

Losing weight can be done by anyone - everyone on this site and other sites like it have lost weight. The issue is KEEPING IT OFF and changing to behaviors that support healthy habits and a healthy body weight.

1. The person that loses weight through diet and exercises uses the diet and exercise as a TOOL to be healthy and achieve their goal

2. The person that uses the surgery and diet uses these as a TOOL to be healthy and achieve their goal

3. BOTH types of people have to STRUGGLE each and every day to keep the weight off and maintain healthy habits

The difference between the two (at least from what I understand since I have not yet had the surgery) is that having surgery makes it EASIER to be successful. Two of my relatives have had bariatric surgery have both said that the surgery "levels the playing field", meaning that it is so much easier for them to be successful, post surgery, at maintaining healthy habits and keeping the weight off.

Maybe that is where this comes from, the idea that it is easier for people than before their surgery is a huge cop-out. Maybe it's jealousy on many different levels. I however, don't think that way. However someone can lose weight is great - surgery or not. It's never a cake-walk.

I don't know if "thank you" are strong enough words for how much I appreciate what you have wrote. As I read everyones comments on this blog, I see myself, my question, and my thoughts.. How many times in a life time can one actually gain and loose weight before your body just says, "I've had enough". Thank you for your words, your thoughts and your insight!

Now that I have accepted this to be fact, I am starting to look around at other people who have lost weight, whether they are a celebrity or just someone I know or someone who has put themselves out there on the internet. I came to the revelation that no one I know that had significant weight to lose has (1) lost all of their weight or (2) kept it off. The results of those people on the web are mixed, but I admit, I have not done a thorough search for really obese people that have chronicled their weight lose through a blog. Back in 2007-2008 I became familiar with David Smith (through his BodySpace blog) on Bodybuildingdotcom before he was famous for losing like 400 pounds with the help of Chris Powell (from Extreme Weight Loss fame). In fact, that is how Chris became famous, because of David. A few years after his tremendous success, David eventually gained about 300-350 pounds back and is now trying to get back to his lowest weight. I sincerely wish him the best of luck - I had a chance to PM him a few times through his BodySpace blog and he seems like a really nice guy. Check out his facebook page if you are curious - it's David Ellmore Smith.

What a great topic. I don't think this only happens with weight loss. When I quit smoking, I would hear people brag that they just put those cigarettes down one day and never looked back. Well, that did not work for me because I was addicted to smoking. I used the tools out there to increase my chances of success and guess what, I haven't smoked for two years and that's really what matters. I heard the same thing of mothers that would brag about natural child birth as if they are superior because they opted out of the drugs. We all get the same thing in the end, a baby. What does it matter how we get to our goals as long as we get there?

At this point I would sell my soul for sustained weight loss. But no one's in the soul buying business so I'm going to do whatever it takes to make me successful. And when I am successful, it won't matter how I got there. It'll only matter than I met and maintained my goal.

Thank you!

We'll said! I've been sleeved since 2011 and although I haven't gained my weight back, I work hard at maintaining my weight.

I've heard many opinions from others, recently someone told me weight loss surgery was for lazy people. I was like really? Cause I Crossfit twice a week, swim twice a week, run two to three times a week and when I have time throw in a bike ride. So if that's lazy then I guess I'm lazy!

When I told my mom I was going to get surgery she just looked at me and said "your crazy, all you have to do is diet and exercise", really, wow problem solved, and an alcoholic should just stop drinking and a smoker just stop smoking. If only it were all that easy! Lets see, in my 53 years of life all but a few have been spent dieting and exercising and obsessing over my weight (0-10 were okay).

Completely agree with everything you said. This is exactly why I chose bariatric surgery.

i would say it makes it *much* easier to be successful, since wls has about an 80% success rate at 3 years and diets have 2-3% (??) success rate long term. i'll take the 80% success rate thanks.

Thank you for your post. I went into my WLS feeling so guilty that I was crying in the pre op room. I was worried that if something happened to me people would say "she was so selfish". I have a child of course it worried me that what I was doing was putting my life at risk for selfish reasons. But as your post stated - I've always lost the weight but never kept it off. And I was suffering from PCOS, back pains, bladder issues, planter fasciitis, and I'm sure the list would had only grown.

Having a lower BM I'm finding weight loss after the surgery has not been easy. And to me that justifies the struggle i had before surgery. If I have to work hard at it now with my most if stomach gone -how would I have ever succeeded naturally?