Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, sleep last night sucked. I woke up at least very 4 hours if not more. I expected to hurt, but I didn't expect ti be so very hard to get out of bed just to go to the bathroom. Also, rolling over in my sleep is a NO NO.

What advice do you guys have for getting a better night's sleep and getting up to potty?

Give it time. Despite what we were told about this surgery being minimally invasive, it's not. My copy and paste response to posts like your(and there are many) is:

While You Were Sleeping

So I'm sorry to be too graphic here but remember, someone filled your body cavity full of gas, they pumped fluids, medications, antibiotics and anesthesia into your body. They punched 5 holes in your abdomen, moved all your inner body parts around, shoved a tube down your throat, took an electric scalpel and burned away excess fat and tissue wrapped around your upper stomach, then wrapped a plastic strap around your stomach just below the lower esophogeal sphincter, stitched it in place with 5-6 sutures bringing your lower stomach up and over the band and then snaked a tube out of your body and then sewed another plastic piece to the muscle tissue on your rib cage.

It does get better with time but you've got to let your body heal and that will take about 5-10 days before you feel back to somewhat normal.

Hi Cherie, the log roll technique is pretty good for those first few days when you are sore -- and holding a pillow tight on your abdomen when you get up. Some people do better in a recliner that first night or two. You will feel better each day. Congratulations on your surgery and choosing your healthy future. A few months from now you won't be able to recall this discomfort -- you will be thinking like the rest of us how worth it it was to go through the whole thing. Pat yourself on the back for all the research, the zillion appointments, pre-op, the surgery itself and now the recovery time. You are doing beautifully and that part is all behind you now.

Thanks, guys.

I have a sectional sofa. I found it was easier to prop pillows up so I was in a semi sitting up position. Good advice about the logroll. Dont try to sit all the way up before getting up. It will put too much pressure on your belly. Unfortunately day 3 was the worst. It does get better. You will be surprised at how much better you with feel at about a week out. Rest, walk, and take care of yourself . So happy for you and praying for a speedy recovery!

I am on day 3 post op and say that other than the gas I am feeling pretty good. My doctor makes you stay overnight with a swallow study the next morning. Unfortunately, that first night my body did not take well to all the pain meds I through up all night long! It was horrible. So everything else has been a down hill slide. Good luck to you!

The first week after getting banded the only way I could get sleep was sleeping on my recliner with lots and lots of pillows.. my neck pillow was my best friend...lol.. i would hurt if I tried laying down..try sitting up just prop pillows on ur bed..hope this helps...I will all go away just give it time...in about a week or two u will be sleeping like normal...congrats on ur band :-)

Thanks, everyone!

We have a husband pillow that my hubby put on my side of the bed to give me more support while sleeping. With that, my two regular pillows, and the back support pillow that I use for long drives in the car ... I managed to get pretty comfortable. The only downside is that I'm now at the point where I'm STARVING and woke up every hour on the hour for a couple more sips on my Protein Shake ... or to potty. Usually both.

I'm looking forward to this gas to finish working it's way out. I feel like I need to burp, but nothing happens. Soon ... right?

Soon you'll feel better! Very soon.

I recovered in a recliner. It has an electric motor to move the footrest so I didn't have to strain my tender belly. I was able to get up easily and I could really snuggle in and get super comfy for resting.

I didn't really have any trouble with gas... I guess that my surgeon did a god job of pushing the excess out, when he finished my op.

I had a lap chole that wasn't earlier last year and I had NASTY gas pain after that surgery. :lol: My gas pains from that one took weeks to go away because I got a big gas bubble stuck up under my rib cage on the right side that I just couldn't dislodge and it caused me hell when I tried to take a deep breath or cough or laugh. Urgh! I finally got it moved out by doing bending and twisting exercises with my torso. :P

The first few days are the roughest. I didn't have any real pain but I was so sleepy! I would get up, go potty, walk, do incision care, get something to drink, snuggle in, watch a little TV or read and crash. Wake and repeat. Day three, I could barely keep my eyes open and I almost slept for twenty-four hours with just brief minutes of wakefulness. Then on day four, the clouds parted and I felt almost human, again. :lol: I was able to get back to a more normal type of schedule and really feel as if I was recovering.

Hang in there. It gets better, I promise. Just be kind to yourself, listen to your body and allow yourself to rest and recover. You'll be up and at it, before you know it. :D