Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having the gastric bypass on Sept. 11th. Getting pretty excited, but am a little nervous too. I began this process last November. Doctor told me to lose 50lbs before surgery. I'm down 25, but have been slacking for a couple of weeks. I need to get back on the shakes for 2 meals per day. I'm 52yrs. Old, 6'5" and 360lbs. My goal weight is 225lbs. I've also been riding my bike 3-4 times a week at 6-8 miles each time, and just started yoga (at home) for stretching and flexibility. I'm really hoping by becoming more active now, it will make it easier after surgery. I read a quote: "do what you can, when you can, with whatever you can."

I don't have my surgery date yet, but I'm pretty sure we're looking at sometime in September. My surgeons office can submit to my insurance the middle of August. I'll be having gastric bypass as well and started my process the middle of May. I don't think it'll seem real to me until I get my surgery date!

Yeah, same here. My doctor will submit my case to the insurance 1 month before. I keep thinking they might come back with something else I must do to get approved, but who knows. Like you, it won't feel real until I'm being wheeled down the hall! Then the journey really will begin! Best of luck to you.

I'm on track for insurance submittal around August 15th. If I can have the surgery extremely early in September, and if my surgeon clears me for a cruise in October, then I'm hopefully a September surgery.

I'm starting to have second thoughts.....I'm 5'8", 270lbs, with about a 41 BMI, but I'm starting to feel "guilty" for having the surgery. I have comorbidities (htn, sleep apnea, cholesterol, elevated a1c), but the ppl at my gastroenterologist visit pretty much told me they didn't think I should do it, saying I don't look big enough.

Daron,

That's a decision you will need to make, and it will be best if you can resolve any guilt before your surgery. A bmi of 41 IS an appropriate candidate for the surgery. That's why anyone over a 35 bmi qualifies. Add your commodities and you are totally in the green zone. Just my opinion, please follow your heart.

Co-morbidities

Yeah, I mean, I'm fine with the decision. I have to lose at least 105lbs just to get to the upper end of a healthy BMI, so, I'm content with my decision. Guilt may not have been the best word to use, but definitely an instance of second guessing myself. Overall I'm excited, and August 11th and 12th - the dates of my last preop tests - can't get here fast enough!

My insurance company approved my sleeve surgery yesterday. I'm waiting for the surgeon's office to call me with date of visit with surgeon and visit with the nutritionalist. I was told it would be 1 to 10 days. Things are getting scary. But I'm excited too. I started this process in Nov 2013.

My insurance company approved my sleeve surgery yesterday. I'm waiting for the surgeon's office to call me with date of visit with surgeon and visit with the nutritionalist. I was told it would be 1 to 10 days. Things are getting scary. But I'm excited too. I started this process in Nov 2013.

Hi there today I got a call from the surgeon's office with the date of sleeve surgery. September 9th is the big day!

I started this process in Nov 13. A lot of time in Dr approvals. I am 57 years old, weigh 264 and 5' 4" tall. The insurance approval only took 1 week. I start the preop diet in one week. I have to be on Protein shakes and one lean cuisine dinner per day for three weeks. I have to go to prep testing on 8/20 and see my surgeon on 8/28. Then off to surgery 9/9! I'm scared but excited too. Trying to trust God!

Getting closer everyday! Last full meal last night, liquid diet begins today. Surgery is 3 wks from tomorrow. Attended "teaching" classes yesterday on the surgery and post open diet and care. One more pre-op appointment next week. Still waiting for the insurance approval, but moving ahead as if it will happen. I can't see why it wouldn't go through, I've been involved with this process for 9 months and ha e done everything requirement-wise. How are all of your cases progressing as we get closer to September?

Hi bethie good luck! My surgery is Sept 10 and I started the preop diet August 20. My surgeon wants me on it for 3 weeks! Which surgery are you having?

How are you doing on the pre-op liquid diet, acbell288? I get a little hungry, but since the first day (Aug.20), I find the Protein carries me. I haven't been ravenously hungry, which is a complete surprise to me since mine is only 600 calories per day.

Edited by wordmann