Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

First post here, located in Canberra, Australia. I go in for surgery on 15 September, so about 6 weeks out.

Currently 172cm and 160kg (which I think converts to 5'7" and 352lbs). Half excited/half scared. I've lost a lot weight before but then put it all back on once I dropped off the food plan.

At 42 years old and with two young sons I decided I needed to take full control of my weight and take what is really my final chance to get healthy and be there for my family.

Not sure what else to put so, "hi" and happy to answer questions etc.

Hi! Everything is goin to be ok, just follow all the doctors orders. My sleeve is today and I'm excited and scared too but super positive. Good luck.

Ash51,

Good luck with your surgery. Like brendaliz_r said, follow the doctors instructions. For me, the mental part is harder than the physical part. My body healed with time but my decades of "fat" brain thinking took much more work.

I hope you have a routine surgery and easy recovery.

Blessings,

Kathleen

Let me tell you, being 3 months out of surgery yesterday its AMAZING!! so much more energy! I love being able to run around with my kids now without being out of breath and having to sit down, they have a hard time keeping up with me now!

@Ash51 Sounds like you have some wonderful motivation to lose -- not only can you enjoy your kids more, you'll be a good role model for them of taking charge of your health. And, like the poster above, I've felt SO MUCH MORE ENERGY since surgery -- I feel great and I'm constantly looking for things to do to improve my activity. You're gonna be THAT dad running around with your kids, playing soccer or basketball or running on the beach with them.

It's perfectly normal to be nervous about being able to maintain the lifestyle changes but it's so much easier when your body cooperates with your intentions because you have the tools now to do what you need to do. It's completely different than what you've tried in the past. I have control over my food now and not the other way around.

You can do this! And, best wishes!

Thanks for the kind words everyone, it all helps. Did a barium swallow a few weeks ago which showed a small hiatal hernia that the surgeon will fix while he's doing the sleeve. That explains a lot of other things from the past few years (reflux, etc). Luckily (?) I had a gastrocoscopy a few years ago so I don't have to arrange for one in the next few weeks.

Hi Ash, I am in Brissie and also scheduled on the 15th of Sep bu revision from band to bypass. Hang in thete, we can do it!

hi all I am booked in for a sleeve on 22nd sept. Feel like a failure having head a band , then off to another doctor in Sydney to have a band plus pplication ( folding of the stomach ) then thought I would be will . Have this fear that my brain is going to sabotage the sleeve ..not sure how but I am sure I am going to fail again.

Also original doctor has down the band reversal 3 months ago and wants the stomach to heal from all it's trauma is going to charge me 8000 for the sleeve- whereas new patients are being

charged 5000... So again feel like I am being punished by the surgeon for failing !!!! Just feel worried I guess about life ahead without my best friend food by my side !!! Lindylou62

Hello Ash and greetings from Texas! My date is Sep 10. I am also excited and scared, but mostly excited. Reading posts from others who have fared so well and are feeling so much stronger and energetic gives me encouragement every day. I hope you enjoy the posts like I am! Lots of wonderful people on here. :)

Nice to have you here Ash51. My surgery is October 14th. We will all get through this together!