Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hard to feed your kids?

I'm a single mom with 2 full time kids, 8 &13. Does anyone find it difficult to feed for your kids while you are going through all your own stuff?

My kids are not little but nonetheless I've always cooked for them. I started warning them months out that there would be a long period of time when I would not be cooking and they would be getting a lot of frozen pizza and hot dogs, etc. I also hired someone to come in and clean for a few weeks, which I'm really glad I was able to do. So all that was left was laundry and the dog.

my kids are polar opposites. my one takes medication that deadens the palate and makes many foods taste bad, plus texture is an issue. the other is a pretty good eater.

i was really surprised post op when i WANTED to cook for my family. i think being in the kitchen and being in the food make me feel somehow closer to the food experience and almost like i was included. post op i cooked for my family every day and loved it. i know not everyone is like me but it was great.

these days i'm cooking things that at least my one child and hubs and i can all eat, the other child is on a specific menu that doesn't change so no big issues there either.

I've been cooking more actually and taking control of bad family habits. Basically we r all on a lifestyle change

I meal plan for the week every Sunday night, and shop Monday. I make sure everything we eat is easy to modify for my diet. For example, we may have burritos, but I'll have a small burrito bowl instead. Or tonight, we're having stir-fry, and I'll just skip the rice (and obviously eat just a small amount.) With Pasta dishes, I reserve some of the the Protein and veggies before mixing it all together. I actually really enjoy the planning aspect and it makes my week go much smoother.

I agree with easily deconstructed meals. Casserole style meals are not totally phased out but when we are eating together I make something with Protein separate from the starch and veggie. And I pre make on the weekends as well.

I haven't changed a thing about how I cook for my family. Most of the time I just eat a portion of what I make for them (i.e. I won't eat their side/carb but I will eat the Protein and small portion of veggies). If they are wanting to eat something that I can't alter and/or have anything to do with (i.e. homemade pizza night), I just insure I make myself something else.

We have never been a very processed food kind of family so the only change has been me eating what my sleeve can handle and/or what is a good choice for me.

Now eating out is a different story...I hate it now. It's so awkward and waitor's always think you don't like your food after you've altered the crap out of it to begin with when ordered. LOL!

Edited by Juba

its hard to feed my kids period! ????

one is a carb monster, the other loves anything sweet and is allergic to Protein. (or so she would have you believe)

as long as i dont let myself get hungry, i dont cheat.

I had the same concern for my family, having two kids ages 14 and 16.

I kept it simple by cooking up a few pounds of taco meat for salads, nachos, burritos,etc. and freezing it in one pound increments to be used when I had absolutely no energy to cook. I also made a froze a few gallons of chili, beef stew, and meatballs.

I always have lunch meat on hand for hot sandwiches (they love paninis) and they can make those themselves.

Cereal is always on hand as is pb&j. I also keep bacon in the fridge for blts.

All low cost, low energy options...