Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can I or should I start experimenting with purred foods only 1 week post-op

I’m exactly one week post-op and pretty tired of being on a liquid diet, starting to hate the taste of yogurt lol. I feel pretty good and have had very little pain, nausea and I'm feeling like I can move on the pureed foods already. I been eating mashed potatoes but been craving pureed meats, but I’m afraid that I may need to stay on this liquid diet the doctor wants me on post-op for another week. I feel that I have recouped very well and possibly faster than others from surgery so far and feel my ability to start on the purred diet is possible even a week after surgery. I guess I want to get back to eating solids ASAP. So my question is can I or should I start experimenting with purred foods only one week after surgery or is this a no no?

That is a huge no no. The reason you are on the liquid diet is so your staple lines can heal. Rupturing a staple line can be fatal. You don't want to fill your pouch up at all. Stuff like yogurt and Protein Shakes etc... Run right thru you new pouch straight into your intestines. I got a huge a lecture about cheating from the surgeon at my preop appointment. There are reasons for certain diets at certain times.

Edited by jtickle

Follow your doctor's instructions. There are reasons for the eating phases and their time frames.

I agree with jtickle and terry! Definitely follow your doctor's instructions! You don't want to create complications for yourself!

It's unanimous - that's a BIG no-no!! Don't even think about straying from your doctors plan or you could end up with all sorts of problems later on.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think right now its has to be stomach over mind and I think that's the challenge because it has been the other way around my whole life.

So I follow the liquid diet until the doctor says not to, I can hardly wait but the more I restrict myself the more I know I will become successful.

I find it crazy that I seem to be more hungry after surgery than before, but again I think that's all in my head.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!