Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Lap Band a Cake Walk To Losing Weight?

Have to say, speaking for myself...the first 4-6 months were "Hell"..pure frustration, thought I made a big mistake....

Then after my last fill, things got better, although very confusing with many stuck episodes....

Eventually, say after 1 year to be sure, a little earlier perhaps, I figured it all out...found what worked for me, found what rules I had to adhere to to make it work, and began to make all the changes second nature....

The weight just started to come off consistently, and it was, and still is the easiest thing I could have ever done...it still is.

So the first few months were very hard, after that it became a "Cake walk" as you say, easy as can be......I felt sorry for all those around me always talking about having to loose a few pounds....

Most of the posts I read here from people struggling, IMO, and I stress it is only my opinion, (have no way of ever knowing what people are really experiencing) it sounds like they are trying to find that "Groove"

As far a the 5 day pouch test...I do my own mini-version of it every 6 weeks or so, but not for the reason(s) many here feel it is for. And my Dr. thinks it is a great idea for maintenance. (if there is such a thing with surgery)

Edited by B-52

So, b-52, what are some of your tricks that work best for you? I'm unfilled, but I have restriction-- I'm just having to unlearn all of my crap habits like snacking and grazing and drinking my calories. I've recommitted to this thing and there is zero grazing/snacking and all I drink is Crystal Light...

So tell me... What advice can you offer?

Debbie, if you were a snacker before the band and still are, being sleeved most likely wont change anything. Don't get the idea that all sleevers are highly successful, they're not. It's a very effective surgery but it may not kill those snacking demons in your head.

Debbie, if you were a snacker before the band and still are, being sleeved most likely wont change anything. Don't get the idea that all sleevers are highly successful, they're not. It's a very effective surgery but it may not kill those snacking demons in your head.

2muchfun - I have the band, not the sleeve. I kinda wish I had went with the sleeve but being a self-pay it wasn't an option. I am returning to the 5-day pouch test to go back to basics and see if I can give up the in-between stuff. I know it's not the band's fault because it is very full. It has to be in my head...so I will continue to fight the good fight!! lol

Have to say, speaking for myself...the first 4-6 months were "Hell"..pure frustration, thought I made a big mistake....

Then after my last fill, things got better, although very confusing with many stuck episodes....

Eventually, say after 1 year to be sure, a little earlier perhaps, I figured it all out...found what worked for me, found what rules I had to adhere to to make it work, and began to make all the changes second nature....

The weight just started to come off consistently, and it was, and still is the easiest thing I could have ever done...it still is.

So the first few months were very hard, after that it became a "Cake walk" as you say, easy as can be......I felt sorry for all those around me always talking about having to loose a few pounds....

Most of the posts I read here from people struggling, IMO, and I stress it is only my opinion, (have no way of ever knowing what people are really experiencing) it sounds like they are trying to find that "Groove"

As far a the 5 day pouch test...I do my own mini-version of it every 6 weeks or so, but not for the reason(s) many here feel it is for. And my Dr. thinks it is a great idea for maintenance. (if there is such a thing with surgery)

Yes - please share some advice for those of us struggling. when did you reach your "AH HA" moment and what do you do ??

I'm aware you have the band, I'm just saying that if you were sleeved or plan on being sleeved, the snacking demons don't go away. I was addressing this comment:

"I am seriously wishing I could get the sleeve but I am a self-pay because my insurance does not cover weight loss surgery so I don't think it will ever happen for me. AND, I am still paying for something that doesn't work"

I know you're just venting but the band could work for you if you stopped snacking. No WLS will work for patients who snack/graze.

BTW-The 5-Day pouch test was designed for bypass patients. It's still a good idea to clean out the band and our bodies occasionally though and the 5-Day pouch test can do this.

I can only recommend you stop buying snack foods. If they're not in your house you can't eat them.

oh I see, I misunderstood you. I guess I am venting and you are right. I need to quit all the grazing and snacking between meals. I don't know why I can't stop but I won't give up. I am back to basics this week...wish me luck :)

NewMeDebbie...so wish I had a magic wand that I could wave over you and make this work. I am finding I have met up with some challenges now myself. Got really sick last week and irriated my band to the point of no return, had to have a unfill...but am feeling so much better. I so take responsibility for anything I shouldn't be eating...but find myself too falling backwards at times...but most part I am true to form. Do to health matters the exercises are a bit of a problem, but I find walking in the pool helps me feel better about that part as well. So I am hoping that you can make changes in your life to make the band work for you. As your insurance company will not pay for the sleeve...mine will not pay for it either and there is no way I can pay for it...so I am happy with mine. Hopefully it will start working for you as well...my best wishes...don't give up okay!!! :)

Good luck, Debbie. Changing these habits that have been ingrained in us for decades is SO hard. If you're anything like me, I never even realized just HOW much I snacked until I had my revelation a few weeks ago. I'm rooting for you!

Thanks guys!! I have no intention of giving up and I must admit maybe it's not as bad as I make out. I do follow the rules most of the time. Exercise is a real problem right now because I live outside Vegas and the temp as been in the 100s so it's just too hot!! The walking in the pool is a great idea!! I will use that! But otherwise, I was walking 3 miles 5 days a week and will return to that as soon as the weather cools back off. That will help with my feelings of not doing enough.

I have to remind myself that I have lost weight and I am much healthier than I was 10 months ago. I do make better choices and eat smaller portions so it has been a good decision. I just need to learn patience and figure out why I can't stop snacking...

There has to be an answer! It must be in my head - I just have to figure it out!

Once my husband is better from his surgery next week, we are both going to start eating better. If i get him on board to healthier eating, it may make it much easier for me.

Having you all is really helpful!! It's great to know others are going thru the same things, or have in the past and have suggestions on ways to deal with these issues.

Edited by NewMeDebbie

Whatever WLS someone chooses, if they think it's going to be a cake walk then they won't be as successful. I went into my surgery knowing I was going to have to work hard. I have my one year anniversary of getting my band in 3 days and I'm down 135 pounds.

did anyone address the fact that you have 10.5 cc in a 14 or 15 cc pouch???? that is a lot of restriction. did the doctor check to see if it all in there??? I have 5 cc and its green for me . I went back on the diet plan after gaining some back . read the 8 golden rules on you-tube video by dr. Obrien. Learned what to do and what not to do. you want start today...Good luck...

I do believe it is a lot of restriction. But at each fill, we do them under fluoroscopy and each time I have little restriction. I'm not sure if I am some type of rare case that is losing fat around my band without losing weight or what is going on. The doctor does a good check of my band at each fill and it seems that all is good. I do believe I am at green now and even sometimes could be too filled. Maybe that is why I eat more slider food??

It is worth a call in to my doctor about! Thanks for the idea!

Also, I will check out the video you listed to see what I can learn there...

You will all be happy to know that I called my patient advocate at my Surgery Center today with all of my concerns and she has scheduled me a one-on-one counseling and review with my surgeon and the psychologist next Thursday.

Maybe this will help me get back on track....

Wish me luck :)

Today is my 1 year bandiversary...And I am no where close to where I would like to be...

My blog for today: http://www.debbiedanthony.com/1-year-banniversary/

Help me guys, not sure if I will ever truly get this...