Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my Laparoscopic RNY Gastric Bypass this morning at 7:30am and all I've been thinking since then is, how incredibly lucky and blessed that it all went so smoothly. I wish everyone's experience could be as great as mine has been. My insurance is great, had no issues getting approval. The surgery itself was straight forward. And, my recovery is going so well so far, even I am surprised. Pain is not bad. The worst pain has been in my back from lying down all day. So blessed. It should be so great for everyone. I went in for my consult weighing 229lbs, weight this morning was 217.5 thanks to 3 week pre-op diet (last week was liquids & veggies only). They only wanted me to lose 10lbs before surgery. Feeling no hunger whatsoever. Starting to feel a little gassy, but not horrible. I read on one of the threads someone recommended bringing a heating pad, which I did and it came in very handy. Chapstick is definitely a must. I've been sipping Water and it's settling well. I never got hooked up to IV pain meds, but they did give me morphine at first. Went to liquid lortab at 1pm and did well with it. Not needing full dose, so that's a good sign. No nausea so far, which is a huge relief because I don't tolerate nausea well at all. I'm a big baby about it. But, I do wonder if that's a good thing long term. Fear of nausea will definitely keep me on track diet wise. So, we will see. Just wanted to share my experience to show how well it can go. Everyone is different, but there is reason to be optimistic. :-). Good luck to all you pre-opers! Can't wait to read about your experiences as well.

Edited by CrashNCamsMom

I am so happy to hear everything went great for you. I hope I am that blessed. I pray you have a speedy recovery.

Are you pre-op? If so, I have my fingers and toes crossed for you!!

I am. Thank you for the fingers and toes being crossed. I go for my 6 month nut visit on August 13th. My last one before submitting to insurance. Shortly after that I will find out my surgery day. I can't wait to start on my 2 week liquid diet. That should be an adventure. I am so excited, expecially after reading such great stories like yours. I wish you well on your journey.

Edited by michellew1

Thank you! Good luck on the rest of your journey! I look forward to reading your progress :-)

I'm so happy for you, I have surgery on Friday and I hope my recovery goes that well! I'm a revision from a sleeve after complications and my sleeve recovery was great (beyond the major complications) so I'm hoping I'll get lucky again and have another easy recovery. Keep us updated, I'm hoping you stay feeling this good but we are here for you if you hit a speed bump :)

I wish you all the best Becky! I've read some of your posts, if anyone deserves a break, it's you! I'm pulling for you :-)

I wish you all the best Becky! I've read some of your posts, if anyone deserves a break, it's you! I'm pulling for you :-)

Awh thank you, that means a lot to me! I'm hoping everything goes well and they can do it laproscopically :) I'll make sure to keep everyone updated on how I'm doing. There are so many supportive people on here, it's a wonderful place!

Wow, hope I do as well as you! :)

Looking forward to reading all about it Becky! This forum has definitely been helpful :-)

I hope so too April! Best wishes to you :-)

update...was released from this hospital this evening. Probably would have been released sooner if not for a miscommunication between my surgeon and the hospital. To be honest, I think he flat out forgot to leave my discharge instructions. That's a downfall with these great surgeons. They get so busy, they don't remember everyone. I guess as long as he remembers what he's doing in the operating room, that's all that really matters to me.

Anyway, I started getting gas pain pretty bad. I didn't feel it too much until it moved down into my bowels and now just sits there. Walking a lot, but so far not much relief. The pain meds are keeping that pain manageable though. That's my mission tomorrow. To "break wind". Lol! Sorry if tmi, but they say that's a good sign that everything is moving along. Just took my first dose of the prescribed meds I filled for when I got home. For the first time I felt like I might not be able to keep it down. I managed though, thank goodness. Can't imagine what pain it would be to have to throw up in this condition.

So far, not a moment of regret. Just going to keep taking it day by day. Hoping sharing will help others. Time for a nap ;-)

So glad you are doing well! It's so nice to hear positive experiences. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Best of luck!

Carol

Glad to hear things went well for you! Gives me great comfort to know how well you are doing. I hope my surgery date will be soon. See the dr. on 8/7. Prayers for continued healing (and no nausea)!!!

End of day 4 post-op...still doing well. Have only had one bout of nausea so far, on Wednesday night. Woke up at 2 am to use restroom and I must have gotten up to fast because I got that clammy, sick feeling. Laid back down and felt better instantly. Gas has been moving through and feeling a lot of relief there. Went shopping on Thursday, which wasn't too bad. I had my dad drive me and I think I walked for a good 30 minutes. Might have been pushing it, but I didn't feel much pain until the end. Took it easy today though. I'm afraid that I'll push myself too hard because I feel good enough. I have to remember my insides are still healing. Felt a little irritable this evening. Partly due to a headache and partly due to wanting real food. But, I realized that I didn't feel hungry. It was just that nasty head hunger. Got through it though. All in all, kind of an uneventful couple of days. Which is a good thing! Still putting out my "smooth recovery" vibes to all you pre-opers!