Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories in versus out

So I am 3 months in to my lapband, I have had 3 fills so far. My question is I am taking in on average 843 calories and putting out over 4000 a day. I take in over 60 grams of Protein and eat veggies quite a bit. I feel great but can get hungry, is my intake to low compared to my output? What should be my calorie intake if my output is over 4000 a day? I exercise every day of the week doing a minimum of 7 mile running/walking.

If you could go to a PC and fill in your profile it would be much easier to advise you? We don't know if you're male, female, weight, age etc?

Are you sure on your figures? 4000 calories a day seems a little over the top? I have to bike 30 miles to burn 2000 calories and every day would pretty much kill me.

Male 42 280, I use the fit bit to track my 24 hour calorie count, not just for my work out.

How much have you lost so far?

Some might say that with a calorie count so low you've driven your body to hibernation or, metabolic shutdown. I'm not one who completely buys into that theory but I think it can slow your metabolism down marginally.

But, for a guy as big as you are, you have to be careful not to burn so many calories that your body breaks down muscle to fuel your activities? You can't be getting enough Protein with just 843 calories. Upping your Protein with shakes or more meat, Beans, eggs etc would increase your caloric intake and help build muscle. Exercising as much as you do causes small tears in the muscle fibers which makes muscles rebuild themselves. Without an adequate supply of protein, you're just pissing in the wind.

You may be burning fat but also burning muscle and you aren't rebuilding new muscle tissue with so little protein intake. I think most of the guys are consuming 1600-1800 calories if they're active at all. You could and should speak to a nutritionist if you continue this extraordinary path to weight loss. Not many of us burn that many calories a day on such a low caloric intake.

tmf

I have lost 85 pounds, I do take in over 60 grams of Protein a day. I see the doctor monthly and mention my diet. I have sent the doctors dietitian my last two months of intake, output and activity information. I have been meticulous on trying to make sure the information is recorded accurately with using the Fitbit and it's tools. Waiting to hear back from the dietitian , thank you for the information it has helped immensely.

You are doing great, much better than most.

I have been a calorie counter for some time now. I'm thinking you need to take in more calories. I started out taking in 800 to 1000 per day. As my exercise increased, I wasn't feeling so hot for my workouts so I increased my intake to 1000 to 1200 per day. I'm still losing like crazy.

85 pounds is awesome btw!

Thanks for the support, I need to take advantage of these forums for more support.

Wow! Seven miles a day is great! I think your weight loss has been great too! I think you'd be surprised in that you are giving support to others by sharing your success. I do 3.4 miles on a treadmill everyday and burn 800 calories, and it takes effort to want to go out and exercise, walk or run.

I'd up the Protein a bit if you can. My NUT wanted me to stay around 80 grams or higher on the Protein. Easiest way is to add chicken breasts, sliced turkey, etc. to the diet. Those are low in carbs and fat, and have good protein content.

You know a gm of Protein is only 4 calories so you can technically get 60 gms protein in 240 calories. So 800+ calories may not have you protein deprived, but you do need some carbs to keep your metabolism up

I'd suggest as long as you're losing and your NUT/Surgeon are satisfied with your intake, why change? I agree with TMF, you are burning a lot of calories and they may choose to have you up your Protein above 60 grams. I also don't believe in any starvation mode as long as we've got excess fat reserves. When I weighed 250, I'd burn appx 2000 calories in a 2 hour bike ride, WITH A HR in the 140-150 range. 4000 calories of output (including your BMR) every day of the week while taking in only 800 will give you a loss of a little over 6 pounds per week. Almost exactly what you say you've lost.....KUDDOS! :)