Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As I have stated several times on this site I'm new here so forgive me if my questions have already been asked by someone else. I'm not into exercising (shocker I'm sure) what happens if one doesn't exercise or keep a rather strict diet after the sleeve?

If you don't exercise you will lose "lean mass", the muscle and connective tissues in your body. You will have to keep to a plan or you won't lose weight and you may have serious other problems. The surgery will restrict how much you eat at any one time, but if you are determined, you can eat around it with a dozen meals a day. You would almost certainly lose some weight early on, but those losses can be short lived unless you prepared to make some changes. Don't do this if you aren't ready for it now and the rest of your life.

That said, it IS easier to keep to the plan after surgery.

Dlf3 I am prepared but I had a big discussion with someone else who is considering the sleeve and they felt that they would not have to exercise (or very little), did not feel they needed to change their eating habits a lot and felt that they would not regain the weight.

I did nothing before I had VGS. It is 6 weeks today. I am now able to walk about 1/2 a mile before I go to work. I would have never thought of that before. I also have a bad back. My thought is anything is better than nothing. Actually I do feel better. Hopefully my walk will get longer as time goes on. Good Luck You can do it.

The person you were talking to needs to hang out on this site, to review practical suggestions from people who are post-op. The sleeve will not do all the work for you. Sure, it is going to raise heck if you eat or drink past its capacity, but once the sleeve has stretched a bit, old habits will be easier to give in to. We are here to encourage each other and be truthful about how our Weight Loss Surgery is progressing. A surgical candidate has to be ready to leave old habits behind and then walk away and don't look back. Following the plan and exercising as best you can will definitely pay off.

I agree with Miss Mac. Early on, you won't be able to do anything but "keep a strict diet". Initially, If you attempt to do something reckless, like eat a cheeseburger for example, you threaten not only the sleeve, but your life. Later, once the sleeve has healed, the choices you make are completely up to you. You can eat that cheeseburger, those fries, that soft drink. If you see yourself doing this, WLS is not for you. It is by no means an easy way out.

As I have stated several times on this site I'm new here so forgive me if my questions have already been asked by someone else. I'm not into exercising (shocker I'm sure) what happens if one doesn't exercise or keep a rather strict diet after the sleeve?

For the first 9 months after surgery my exercise was very basic. I walked 2 times a week, I took stairs instead of escalators. I parked farther away at a store. I tried to add everyday activity and make it part of my life. I did not want to get crazy on any exercise only to get bored of it or pick something too hard or that I did not like. I did not want it to be an obligation to exercise. I lost about 100 lbs in that time but was still over 200. I knew that to get the rest of e way and to ensure I kept muscle mass I would need to start an exercise program. I started to go to the gym. I paid a ton for personal training for 6 months. I started spin class 2 times a week. I now go to gym 4 times a week most of the time and still do 2 days of walking. I take Saturdays off! I did not burn out. I now enjoy he gym. On vacation I went biking every day (for fun!). I went from 50% body fat pre surgery to 36% after losing 100 pounds and now after the gym, it have lost 25 more in 6 months and my body fat is 24%.

So in the beginning do Something. Stay active. As you lose you can add more exercise. Make it something you enjoy. Something fun. If you hate exercise now just start by walking a few minutes a day and challenge yourself to add a couple minutes a day. Your body needs to move even a little. It will make you feel great. I promise!

Thanks all of you for your honest and helpful answers! So happy I found this site!