Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm concerned it won't work...

Hello, everyone!

I've been reading the boards for several months now and really appreciate the community and shared knowledge!

I got my insurance approval last week and am waiting anxiously to schedule my surgery, likely in September.

Here's my question. My pre-op fear is that it won't work. That I will go through surgery, follow the program and will not lose weight. For many years, I've put off doing things until I'm where I want to be weight wise. Then someone said to me...stop putting off your life until you lose weight, what if you never do.

This elevated the fear that it may not work and that one year from now, I'll still be obese. Thoughts? I will lose weight, right? I'm having RNY. HW: 218 CW: 209.

Stop over thinking it. You won't know unless you try. You have made it this far, everything will be ok. Everyones journey will be different. I had alot of anxiety about everything for nothing also. I had the sleeve on 7/17/2014 and the weight is coming off. It will do the same for you, just listen to the doctors orders. The most work (to me) is re-training your brain. Your brain still wants you to eat like before so be patient. Again, don't stress. Good luck!

Follow your doctors plan, and it will work. Learn your new body and stay active have been the two things that have kept my weight off. You will love your new life!

Thank you both! I am excited for my new life!!!

It will work, but you will need to put in the effort to make it truly successful. The WLS is just the tip of the iceberg. The rest is up to you. Good luck and best wishes!!!

It's natural to be nervous about a new journey.

From experience if you follow what your surgeon and nutritionist plan out for you you will succeed most definitely.

You'll do great I'm sure of it as long as you give it your all.

This is such a great start to a new wonderful healthy life so grab it and run with it.

Good luck on your surgery and new journey.

Dannysgirl,

You WILL lose weight but after that initial period (typically 12-18 months) it is then up to you to maintain that loss. Educate yourself, read books, attend support group meetings, read online (just stick to credible sites), and work with a WLS nutritionist. You can do it just know what you're in for. It isn't a magic fix, it's a jump start and a tool that you will have to learn to utilize. My biggest fear going into this was that it wouldn't "click" for me, that I wouldn't understand how to use the new pouch. I'm only four weeks post op and it is coming to me so much more naturally than I thought it would!

You can do this!

JessicaO-

Thanks for your insights! That's very helpful!

You all are right! I have to own the process and continue educating myself! I've done a ton of research and reading, and understand that the combination of knowledge & application of that knowledge is key!!!

Imagine for a moment that someone handed you a plan. Their promise - "If you follow this plan for twelve to eighteen months, it will change your life." Not maybe. Not possibly. It will, beyond any shadow of a doubt, change your life. The laws of science and the universe simply cannot be denied.

That was the basis of my decision to have RNY. I had done endless research. I read everything I could find. Without exception, the most prestigious medical organizations in the world all said the same thing - follow this plan and in the absence of rare and unpredictable complications, you cannot fail. The science is irrefutable. The science is conclusive. The results are well documented.

This line of thinking does three things:

1. It gives you a tremendous boost in your confidence that you are making the right decision.
  2. It places the responsibility for success (or failure) squarely on your shoulders.
  3. It forces you to examine the strength of your commitment. How bad do you want it? When you believe, truly believe, if I follow my plan I cannot fail, there are very few challenges that cannot be overcome. When you want it bad enough, failure is not an option.

I followed my plan. And it changed my life. Follow your plan. And it will change yours.

You're gonna love the new you!

Edited by DLCoggin

Imagine for a moment that someone handed you a plan. Their promise - "If you follow this plan for twelve to eighteen months, it will change your life." Not maybe. Not possibly. It will, beyond any shadow of a doubt, change your life. The laws of science and the universe simply cannot be denied.

That was the basis of my decision to have RNY. I had done endless research. I read everything I could find. Without exception, the most prestigious medical organizations in the world all said the same thing - follow this plan and in the absence of rare and unpredictable complications, you cannot fail. The science is irrefutable. The science is conclusive. The results are well documented.

This line of thinking does three things:

• It gives you a tremendous boost in your confidence that you are making the right decision.
  • It places the responsibility for success (or failure) squarely on your shoulders.
  • It forces you to examine the strength of your commitment. How bad do you want it? When you believe, truly believe, if I follow my plan I cannot fail, there are very few challenges that cannot be overcome. When you want it bad enough, failure is not an option.
I followed my plan. And it changed my life. Follow your plan. And it will change yours.

You're gonna love the new you!

This is why I am so darned excited! Unlike my other attempts, including one where I lost 135 lbs, the certainty of this is nearly as exciting as the day I married.

DLCoggin:

Your words were very appreciated! I copied them and put them on my desktop to remind me!

Thank you!