Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone found success with products to PREVENT hair loss?

I am fully aware of Biotin, Gelatin, Protein intake and the like (don't mean to be rude but please do not post a lecture on them). My question is has anyone found a product (shampoo, treatment etc) that they used to prevent Hair loss before it started? I have very fine hair. I'm one month out and can see my hair getting dryer. I have read hair loss typically starts at month 3 and am wondering if there is a product anyone used in this process that helped protect them? I've heard of Nioxin but have also heard that once you discontinue use your hair ends up thinning! Help please!

I will not lecture because lecturing sucks. But the one thing that I have taken was Biotin that you can get from GNC which was only $9 a bottle. I take one every other day, it has helped dramatically with my hair growing, and also my nails. Also, ontop of that I get Vitamin B12 injections monthly to help protect my hair. Also I use a Shampoo that helped as well, that had collagen and Biotin in it, which was Organix thick and full biotin and collagen shampoo.

Target sells the shampoo: http://www.target.com/p/organix-thick-full-biotin-collagen-shampoo-13oz/-/A-14462805?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=14462805&CPNG=Unassigned&kpid=14462805&LID=13pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14462805&kpid=14462805&gclid=CIWWyq-_6L8CFQUFaQodpRcAGQ

GNC for the Biotin: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=480276&catid=183842&aid=338666&aparam=480276&kpid=480276&CAWELAID=120142990000023543&CAGPSPN=pla

No, don't know a preventative. Here's the reason why it happens though:

http://asmbs.org/patients/bariatric-surgery-faqs

Will I lose my hair after bariatric surgery?

Some Hair loss is common following surgery and typically occurs between the third and sixth months following surgery. This is a result of several factors including the physiologic stress, the emotional stress of the adjustments and the nutritional stress following surgery. This is temporary, and adequate intake of Protein, Vitamins and minerals will help to ensure hair re-growth.

Just out of curiosity, is your hair fine or is it actually already thinning from something unrelated to surgery? I have PCOS, so I've suffered from Hair loss for the past few years. I'm only two months out, so I haven't experienced any of the surgery related hair loss yet, but I've been using Rogain for a year now and have been really happy with the results. Yes, I know, I have to use it for the rest of my life, but I'd rather do that and have hair, than do nothing and be balding. So, I have no idea whether or not or to what extent the Rogain will help with the hair loss from surgery, but I figure it's better than nothing and will help with regrowth if I do experience surgery-related loss. Of course, this is only an option if you experienced hair loss in the past as well. It's a very long term solution, since what you gain and hang on to from the Rogain will fall out if you stop using it. But if you have good reason to use it, I definitely recommend it.

I also take Biotin and it helped as a fixer option, not as a preventative. Oddly enough, my hair stylist told me that a lot of people with fine and thinning hair have found that the Shampoo Mane & Tail has done great things for them in terms of growth and thickness. I haven't tried it, but perhaps something you might consider...

I am a hairstylist, and nioxin is a good product to use, you only have to use the Shampoo and conditioner(If needed) the other steps help restore your hair, but the shampoo on a daily basis will help keep your hair from falling out. it will also help regrow your hair if it does fall out. you have to use shampoo everytime you wash your hair, so always use nioxin

Whoknows, please keep us posted. I saw a dermatologist about my hair loss (genetic, hormonal, and probably nutritional) prior to my venture into WLS. He recommended men's rogaine (higher dosage than womens). My surgery will be in Sept so I am already behind the 8 ball on Hair loss. Will you please post later if rogaine seems to help preempt any loss for you? I am not looking forward to this aspect of the surgery but won't let it stop me of course. Per my dermatologist, I've already lost about half of my hair. :( I'm 56, post-hysterectomy (et al), no hormone replacement therapy.

I am 7 months out and have had no hairloss. I have very fine, thin, slow growing hair, so any loss would be noticeable. I did not take any extra Biotin. I do not use special shampoos. I've always gotten in all my Protein (except for the first 5 days after surgery). I take a very good whole food based Multivitamin, including enzymes and Probiotics, not chemically synthesized Vitamins. (You really can't imitate nature). And I was a happy, optimistic post op patient. I did not obsess over the scale or stalls. I didn't stress or whine over the diet restrictions. I even had the added physiological stress of a bad C. diff infection from a dental procedure 6 weeks after surgery that resulted in 2 months of diarrhea and required a fecal transplant to cure. Still....no hairloss.

So my "secret recipe" is Protein, good nutritional supplements, and above all, a good attitude.... But in the end, I think it's all a crapshoot. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

@@JCP, I will keep you posted. But honestly, if I were you, I'd start taking the Rogaine now regardless. Like I said, even if I have a few months of reduced hair from the surgery, I know the Rogaine has made a huge general improvement for me, and it will continue to do its job as the hair grows back (that is, if I lose). It's a bit like the surgery: it's life long, but my only regret is not having started sooner! Also, my dose is also slightly higher than the women's dose. It's actually a special mixture my endocrinologist has made up at the pharmacy specially: higher dose of the active ingredient in Rogaine, plus topical estrogen. I don't know if something similar in the US would be possible. But if not, I'm sure the men's Rogaine would get the job done!

Edited by WhoKnows

I am 7 months out and have had no hairloss. I have very fine, thin, slow growing hair, so any loss would be noticeable. I did not take any extra Biotin. I do not use special shampoos. I've always gotten in all my Protein (except for the first 5 days after surgery). I take a very good whole food based Multivitamin, including enzymes and Probiotics, not chemically synthesized Vitamins. (You really can't imitate nature). And I was a happy, optimistic post op patient. I did not obsess over the scale or stalls. I didn't stress or whine over the diet restrictions. I even had the added physiological stress of a bad C. diff infection from a dental procedure 6 weeks after surgery that resulted in 2 months of diarrhea and required a fecal transplant to cure. Still....no hairloss.

So my "secret recipe" is Protein, good nutritional supplements, and above all, a good attitude.... But in the end, I think it's all a crapshoot. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

What multi do you take?

I am a hairstylist, and nioxin is a good product to use, you only have to use the Shampoo and conditioner(If needed) the other steps help restore your hair, but the shampoo on a daily basis will help keep your hair from falling out. it will also help regrow your hair if it does fall out. you have to use shampoo everytime you wash your hair, so always use nioxin

Hey sleeveme, any insight on the nioxin which line works best? Also, you cannot order from the website if I get at Amazon or the like, is that the real thing? Sometimes 3rd part sites sell knockoffs!

@@sleeveme4152 is Nioxin something that needs to be used forever? If I were to use it for, say, a year and then stop, would I end up losing hair?

I'm not sure if you will lose your hair after one year, but it does help your hair from falling out.

Sleevenewbie,

I take Garden of Life Vitamin Code for Women. I used to take Source of Life Gold chewable (also a very good whole food vitamin) but postop everything tasted too sweet to me so I switched to Vitamin Code because it came in capsules.

Edited by Kindle