Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In need of veteran advice!

I'm suppose to get my first fill soon. I drink very well and I eat very little. In fact I struggle with getting enough calories. Is it possible that the band is working with nothing in it? If I tell them I Dont want a fill and a week later it changes will they let me then?

@@NolansNana it sounds to me like you are right where you need to be. The Dr./PA should assess your need for a fill not just give it to you.

They should schedule you for a follow up in a few weeks to see if you are still having that same level of restriction, losing weight and feeling fine.

If you feel that in a week or so things change drastically for you and you are hungry, truly hungry not just head hunger between meals then you should call them up and schedule to come in to see them sooner and discuss a fill again at that time.

If you are still feeling good with your level of restriction, then hold off till you see them at your next visit and discuss your need at that time.

I hope this answered your question....?

I'm suppose to get my first fill soon. I drink very well and I eat very little. In fact I struggle with getting enough calories. Is it possible that the band is working with nothing in it? If I tell them I Dont want a fill and a week later it changes will they let me then?

Struggle to get in "enough calories". enough per?

Possible the band is working with nothing in it? Yes, there are some VERY successful people on here who have never had a fill postop. Some just don't seem to need it.

Getting a fill later? My surgeon would. Why get one now if you think everything is working good and you're losing weight......thats really the only goal.

Congrats! Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Your surgery date seems pretty recent, so you still may be ok. For me, once the swelling went down I became ravenous. I definitely could tell I needed the fill. Talk to your doc and tell her/him how you feel. They may decide you don't need it right now. That's the cool thing about the band, you can always add/subtract! GL!

Thanks everyone! Unless something changes I won't get a fill. I appreciate everyone's answers.. Since I'm so new into this I know things can change quickly.

When I say enough catfish, I'm getting about 750 a day. I use my fitness pal. Most of the calories are from Protein Shakes. I eat a little but get full so fast.

I had sugery in September 2013. I haven't had a fill yet. I'm considering it, though. My hunger has ticked up and I find I am eating a bit more at each meal before feeling satisfied. My doc and I talk each visit about what the signals are and whether I need a fill. I think we may agree this time to do it. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Oh wow! That long. Thank you for responding.

I was one of those people who had some restriction from the start. I did get one fill about 6 weeks after my surgery and I totally regretted it. It seemed almost to cause me to have less restriction. It doesn't make sense but.... Anyway, that's the only fill I've had. Sometimes I want another but my surgeon will say let's wait. I do enjoy being able to tolerate most foods. I would wait until you really think you need it.

I'm banded almost 19 months and have had no fills. As you can see by my ticker, I reached goal, and even lost more weight. It's not willpower alone...it's the band working even though it's empty.

The mere presence of the band, where it is placed, can stimulate certain nerves telling your brain whether you are hungry, need to eat, etc....

Some people get this from day one....some people need to eat to stimulate the nerves, some people need to get a fill(s) for this to happen....

and unfortunately, some people never experience this....relying on old fashion dieting techniques.

I had a few fills, and ever since the last one I am never hungry, 2-3 swallows and I don't feel like continuing, and I totally have a lack of interest in food altogether....which also means no cravings....and head hunger is only that...in my head.

It is not something physical....I have never felt full as many other people here have described....you could say I feel full 24 hrs a day, but in reality it is my brain telling me I am full, not the other way around....

As far as when and if I needed a fill, my Dr. always referred to the "Yellow-Green-Red" chart he has hanging on the wall, ask me a few questions, compare my current weight against the last visit, then determine if a fill is needed or not...After 3 visits, and 3 fills, I was finished and have not needed a fill since......

It is different for everybody....that is why it is adjustable....and everybody can decide where they want to be and how they want to work the band....or in my case, how the band works me....

Edited by B-52