Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am waiting for my insurance to OK my lap-band surgery. But in the mean time i am eating like i always have,its like i know i will never be able to have these foods again. And i guess maybe i will feel deprived and have mad cravings?

why do i do this knowing i need to change? I feel like i want to eat everything ,i guess like a alcoholic having his last drink before going in to rehab. I just hope that i can get over these feelings and have better control of my eating. Maybe i will have to change or die. ...feeling out of control pre op surgery in November 2014

Don't fret, I'm willing to bet most of us did the same thing! I know I did. My mom kept asking me why I wasn't trying to eat healthy before I had to start my pre-op diet and my response was "Because. When I have to eat that way, I will. Right now I can eat however I want so I'm going to." And I did exactly that. I ate as I pleased, not so much that I gained weight, but I maintained my weight until I had to start my pre-op diet. That was like the starting line for me. I mentally prepared myself for it to be so it's not like it was a shock when I had to start the diet. I was fully prepared for it to suck lol But making that my starting point for my new healthy lifestyle, being determined from then on has worked for me :)

So don't beat yourself up over it! Just know that once you start the pre-op diet you MUST commit to the lifestyle change if you want the band to work for you. Would it be a good idea to start preparing and practicing the good habits now? Absolutely. It's recommended by both surgeons and nutritionists. I'm just telling you my story and letting you know it won't make you a failure if you don't get it all perfect right now. Best of luck to you!

I'm going to say that this is "normal". I know that I did the same thing for the same reasons. I also drank wine and mixed drinks as often as I could since I knew that once my pre-op diet started, I wouldn't be allowed to have any again. Now ... I'm 2 days pre-op. I've been MOSTLY good (I licked icing off of my fingers after serving my son his birthday cake). It's HARD, but will be worth it.

re: "its like i know i will never be able to have these foods again."

actually, that is simply in error

I too had that concept, and it was wrong.

There are a couple specifics I can identify to illustrate:

1) "never" if you mean over eat aka 'sport eating' aks 'social eating' aka 'just clean this bite up' aka 'don't make me throw this away' etc etc etc.....the entire concept is in error

The fact is, mostly, you will 'be able to eat those foods'.

2) by 'never' you leave out 'do I even WANT those foods'.....my own long time favorites pretty much shifted....as pizza/pasta/carb city disaster league food groups----pretty much went away. Yes, I still have pizza....maybe one or two pieces, maybe every few months. And I'm not sensing being 'deprived'. My love affair with Pasta simply isn't active. Mostly carbs with tasty sauces, and of little real nutritional value, Pasta represents largely an urge for a 'sport eating binge' that Bandsters loose.

3) and the actual reality, again, is AMOUNT of such fantasy items.

In reality, do any of those favorite foods actually serve to accomplish the goal....which is to satisfy the appetite without creating the craving for moreMoreMORE?

In my case, the carb-junkie syndrome was very much a Bad Habit I couldn't overcome despite decades of battling against.

You'll do just fine once you learn to focus on hungry/NOT hungry vs ANXIETY about being hungry. At least that is what happened to me.

Cheers in your journey.

Well said Jack!!! I'm new in my journey. I thought I'd really miss soda. I loved diet Dr Pepper but I Dont miss it at all! I came off of sugar before surgery..The way I feel without it makes me realize how bad it was for my body..I gladly trade sweets for more energy . I feel so much better!